Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2009, 05:50 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,713,819 times

Advertisements

Had to pull the gear box in my truck to fix a leak... the clutch was one of MANY things I have been inspecting... what are your thoughts on its current condition?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 06:03 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,016,490 times
2 thoughts:
- some of the rivets seem to show wear marks, so not much pad left
- you already have it out, may as well put a new one in now instead of later...

Old 05-27-2009, 06:09 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Personally it's out already. If you are questioning it, change it and not have to pull it again in a year or two when it is really bad.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:58 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,197,771 times
I think I spent around $220 for a brand new clutch kit and a flywheel and the original factory parts lasted 10 years, I'd replace it and have the satisfaction of knowing that I won't have to worry about it for a good long while.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:44 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,713,819 times
This is from a 3/4 ton diesel so nothing is coming cheap here... hmmm. The pressure plate and flywheel are in very good looking condition, the machine marks still look just as good on the contact surface as they do on the non-contact... I wonder if I could get away with just having them turned?

Do they sell just clutch discs? Kits typically appear to consist of pressure plate, clutch disc, pilot+throwout with an optional flywheel. I was planning on replacing the pilot and throwout initially... now it looks as if I should replace the disc... perhaps I should just spring for the pressure plate as well... when the flywheel gets thrown into the mix is when the price goes way up...

Old 05-27-2009, 08:55 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,197,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
This is from a 3/4 ton diesel so nothing is coming cheap here... hmmm. The pressure plate and flywheel are in very good looking condition, the machine marks still look just as good on the contact surface as they do on the non-contact... I wonder if I could get away with just having them turned?

Do they sell just clutch discs? Kits typically appear to consist of pressure plate, clutch disc, pilot+throwout with an optional flywheel. I was planning on replacing the pilot and throwout initially... now it looks as if I should replace the disc... perhaps I should just spring for the pressure plate as well... when the flywheel gets thrown into the mix is when the price goes way up...
Mine was a 93 Ford Ranger and I could not find a parts place to sell me a disc only. Mine the kit was $140, the flywheel was around $85.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:56 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
There appears to be sufficient wear left on the friction material to go for quite a while yet, depending on your driving style.
What does the friction surface of the pressure plate look like?
How about the surface of the flywheel? Any hot spots? Is it smooth?
the flywheel can be re-surfaced, there is no need to replace it unless it is REALLY bad.
However, as others have said, you have it out now, you might as well go ahead and install a new (or rebuilt) disc and pressure plate. If you have the option, get the heavy duty unit. By the same token, replace the release bearing and the pilot bushing/bearing now that you are in there.
Be sure to tighten and torque the pressure pplate bolts properly!

Old 05-28-2009, 09:03 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post

It depends on what you do and don't like to do.

Depending on your driving style, you can probably get a lot more miles out of this disk. And if you don't mind pulling the tranny again when it actually does need to be replaced, why not get another year or two out of it?

On the other hand, if you paid a shop to remove the tranny, I'd have probably have a new disk put in. That way you're only paying to have the tranny removed one time.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:02 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Pretty much what Omaha said, although, I will note that the work to put in a new clutch disc is no more than putting the worn part back in.

Me, I'm a lazy sort and don't like to re-do a job I have done recently, unless money was uber-tight, I'd spring for at least a new friction disc while you are doing the pilot and throwout bearings.

I have put in clutches without turning the flywheel or the pressure plate and got away with it.

Offhand I don't see any reason the flywheel should be damaged, I would think turning it is all that's needed, if that is needed at all.

Frequently with HD Diesel stuff, the OEM part is all you can find, you might check NAPA or similar for an extra-thick friction disc, and/or something equivalent to the OEM part for a little better price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive