U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Automatic or stick?
Automatic 17 30.91%
Stick 38 69.09%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 10:55 AM

3,503 posts, read 6,938,751 times

Advertisements

I'd prefer a transmission that works, period. I've been that lucky.

Ever since that hurricane Rita evac and crawling along three feet at a time along HWY 90A hammering down on that 3rd pedal, I'd been itching to get something with an automatic as a daily driver.

I'm looking for a 2nd vehicle since the F150 has two payments left, but who knows what that'll be. A v6 stickshifter Mustang maybe?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 11:29 AM

8,671 posts, read 14,341,604 times
We are being given a stick. If we want to keep it, my wife and I have to learn to drive it. We practiced a couple of days last weekend and I think I was pretty close to getting it down enough to drive it.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:38 AM

1,076 posts, read 4,175,369 times
Tgbwc, don't you know .. it's always better to practice on someone else's vehicle, lol.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:08 PM

4,677 posts, read 1,987,269 times
I am definately a multi-tasker and as for miles I put on my car, it is approximately 35,000 a year. I do a lot of driving.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:23 PM

605 posts, read 2,873,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
4 cars over almost 20 years, that's what, 5 years per car? How many miles do you put on them? My guess would be less than 20k/year, so you're looking at a basis of <100,000 miles on the clutch.

Just saying, that's not exactly a great comparison. You'd need to drive a car longer than the useful life of the tranny to find out the actual costs of ownership.
No, of course not. I related a purely personal experience, not a scientific study. One of the cars I owned 13 years, but I drove it less than 100k miles. Another I owned 3 years, and put 61k miles on it. I'm just saying that "OMG! Clutches go out and cost $$$", that while true, it doesn't necessarily mean you'll necessarily need to replace one.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:27 PM

8,671 posts, read 14,341,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone-ground View Post
Tgbwc, don't you know .. it's always better to practice on someone else's vehicle, lol.
True. If we keep it, it will be used occasionally for commuting (1.5 miles each way) and pleasure trips. Our other 2 cars are automatics. We might get rid of the one (an '06 Matrix), so we would have one automatic and one stick.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:15 PM

54,084 posts, read 32,494,116 times
Well.. I have a 5-speed stick in my SUV, and an automatic in my truck, there should have been another item in the poll for "Both"..

Old 05-29-2009, 02:23 PM

3,949 posts, read 10,301,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanna B. View Post

5. Coolness factor. Girls who drive stick are cooler.
Ain't that the truth. Most of my wife's cars over the years have been manual ( we try to keep one vehicle in family with AT at same time ). Her latest car is a TC with a stick ( and supercharger, plus several other mods ). So i'm lucky enough to have a wife who understands cars and enjoys driving them.
Our daughter was taught how to drive a stick when she had her learners permit, and each of her cars has been a stick. Including her own TC, which she has plans for adding a turbo in near future. So our daughter is a tuner gal.

Speaking for myself, being surrounded by car gals is pretty cool.....

Old 05-29-2009, 03:14 PM

588 posts, read 467,018 times
Definitely stick. I have never owned a car that was not stick. The main reason I buy manual is enjoyability, I feel that I am just turning the steering wheel when I drive an auto.

Old 05-29-2009, 05:03 PM

16,157 posts, read 52,848,228 times
I prefer to drive a stick but in heavy traffic, if that's most of your driving (what a crap driving experience!) I would probably go for an auto, just so I'm not constantly cussing as I burn up my clutch.

Some cars, particularly VW cars, have pretty low first gears, and the engine will tolerate low RPM well - for example my old Scirocco is like this. I don't mind driving it in traffic because I don't have to slip the clutch much.

Depending, if you get a car where changing the clutch is relatively easy, I would go for a stick regardless of traffic in this case.

A lot of it is driver technique. If you use the handbrake to hold the car on hills when starting out, avoid that stupid "hill holding with the clutch" nonsense that I see the "backwards billcap brigade" using, and in general get the clutch engaged quickly and at low RPM (but without bogging or lugging) you can still get a lot of life out of a stickshift in stop-and-go traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive