Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Automatic or stick?
Automatic 17 30.91%
Stick 38 69.09%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 06:14 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,591,004 times

Advertisements

Stick all the way. It gives you more control and is fun to drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 06:21 PM

7,990 posts, read 10,555,362 times
The same thing happened to me twenty years ago. I had learned on, and only driven, cars with automatic transmissions. Then, as I got ready to buy my first brand new car, the Mustang I wanted had a stick shift. At first, I thought, well I guess I better forget it. Then, on second thought, I decided that if other people could learn to drive a stick, so could I! This was not a muscle car Mustang, just a sedan really.

I bought the car and traded in my old one. At that point, I had no choice but to learn to drive my new car. With my Dad's help, in the parking lot of a community college, I got the basic hang of it, well..sort of. I still stalled out a lot for the first couple of months, avoided hills at all costs, and ground those gears. But I learned and here's the thing - twenty years later, I will NOT BUY AN AUTOMATIC. I love having a manual transmission. Go for it!

Old 05-29-2009, 10:23 PM

17 posts, read 43,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanna B. View Post
I've driven stick for a long time.

1. Cheaper. An automatic was a $1250 option on my car (not an issue if you buy used, but it can raise prices on used cars, too).

2. Less likely to be borrowed/stolen.

3. Control. I shift when *I* want to, not when the car thinks it should.

4. Generally, less problems and cheaper to repair. I say generally, because clutches can go out. But if you drive it correctly (don't dump/ride the clutch), they should last a long time with minimal maintenance. I've never had to replace a clutch and I've driven manuals since 1990. This encompasses 4 vehicles. Take care when you drive and they should last.

5. Coolness factor. Girls who drive stick are cooler.
6. Better Gas mileage than an automatic.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:38 PM

4,677 posts, read 2,055,213 times
The car I am wanting is the Honda Civic SI so I dont know how it shifts. Anyone have one or driven one?

Old 05-30-2009, 03:06 AM

24,463 posts, read 33,150,848 times
I've always preferred automatics for several reasons...

- My favorite cars are '60s and '70s Cadillacs and it would be silly to drive those with a manual transmission!

- Automatics can and are trouble free if the car has a transmission with a well-known reliability record, like the Mopar Torqueflite or G.M. Turbo-hydramatic. The three cars I currently own have had no transmission repair or breakdown. Not even the 40-year-old Cadillac I own.

- Automatics give you the choice of driving in the automatic mode, or can be manually shifted. For instance, with my cars, the transmission will stay in 1st gear when the shift lever is put in that gear as long as I want it to. Same thing for 2nd gear unless the speed drops below approximately 15 mph in which case I wouldn't want it in 2nd anyway.
Contrary to popular belief, cars with automatics can be fun to drive, especially when a shift kit is installed.

- Regarding acceleration, many automatics, both now and from years ago, can equal and sometimes even exceed manual transmissions.

- The winning car in the 1963 Winternationals (drag racing) was a Mopar equipped with an automatic transmission!

Old 05-30-2009, 03:06 AM

14,561 posts, read 22,973,589 times
My Mustang GT is a 5-speed and I wouldn't have it any other way. My next GT will have the manual as well.

I do need a daily driver though, and that would almost certainly be an auto. Probably a Jeep Cherokee of some form.

Old 05-30-2009, 03:39 AM
'M'

1,954 posts, read 3,177,955 times
Went through a phase whee I thought stick shift was the best...now I am an automatic gal again. I even think that automatic is fine in the snow...I just down shift manually and have for years now.

Old 05-30-2009, 03:41 AM
'M'

1,954 posts, read 3,177,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I've always preferred automatics for several reasons...

- My favorite cars are '60s and '70s Cadillacs and it would be silly to drive those with a manual transmission!

- Automatics can and are trouble free if the car has a transmission with a well-known reliability record, like the Mopar Torqueflite or G.M. Turbo-hydramatic. The three cars I currently own have had no transmission repair or breakdown. Not even the 40-year-old Cadillac I own.

- Automatics give you the choice of driving in the automatic mode, or can be manually shifted. For instance, with my cars, the transmission will stay in 1st gear when the shift lever is put in that gear as long as I want it to. Same thing for 2nd gear unless the speed drops below approximately 15 mph in which case I wouldn't want it in 2nd anyway.
Contrary to popular belief, cars with automatics can be fun to drive, especially when a shift kit is installed.

- Regarding acceleration, many automatics, both now and from years ago, can equal and sometimes even exceed manual transmissions.

- The winning car in the 1963 Winternationals (drag racing) was a Mopar equipped with an automatic transmission!
Could you please explain what a shift kit is? Thanks!

Old 05-30-2009, 04:21 AM

14,561 posts, read 22,973,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'M' View Post
Could you please explain what a shift kit is? Thanks!
Basically, it's a kit that modifies the transmission's shift points and/or firmness. It used to be the case that you had to actually install them internally in the engine, but alot of transmissions these days can have the shift points and firmness adjusted electronically.

Unfortunately, I don't know enough about the workings of an automatic transmission to tell you how a shift kit works, I just know what the end result is.

Old 05-30-2009, 04:27 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,780,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zea mays View Post
Automatics usually last longer than manuals; the clutch is the first thing to fail on manuals...
Don't confuse the clutch with the transmission. Replacing the clutch is a routine task and should only have to be done once, if that, during a car's service life. Replacing or rebuilding a transmission is a whole different ballgame, and you're more likely to have to do it with an automatic, and if you do have to do it, it's usually a hell of a lot more expensive.

As for the original question -- I just don't like the driveline slack of automatics and I like the driver involvement of a manual. My refusal to own an automatic led me to the daunting task of teaching my wife how to drive a stick. Then after I divorced and remarried, I had to teach the second wife. As for an actual "stick" shift, I think its days are numbered at least in the North American market. I consider the manumatics with an actual clutch plate that lifts off the flywheel to shift gears to be an acceptable compromise between a full "stick" shift and an automatic, especially with the slick double-clutch units hitting the market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive