Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Automatic or stick?
Automatic 17 30.91%
Stick 38 69.09%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 03:45 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,062,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
As for an actual "stick" shift, I think its days are numbered at least in the North American market.
What makes you say that? I certainly don't see that happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 04:43 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,020,253 times
manuals will be around for awhile, but it is harder to find them on most vehicles. When my daugher wanted to get her TC, one of the local dealers had 18 on the lot--all with AT. They had to go get one with a stick.

back when she learned how to drive, we took her first onto the HS parking lot. Large, wide open space. It let her get comfortable with starting off, 1-2 up and downshifts, etc. Then it was onto the streets. And teaching someone on a newer car is MUCH easier then any of us older farts had it. These cars, with fuel injection, hydraulic clutches, and smoother linkages; it's almost hard to kill it starting off. And if one forgets to downshift enough, these cars rarely lug. Try learning on an old ride, no power steering, column shift, and a clutch that is either in or out...

As for the old "shift kit", if i remember correctly ( we did one on my 70 1/2 Camaro's th350 trans ), it was basically drilling out a couple of the holes on the plate in the valve body. This allowed for slightly more fluid to flow, which quickened the shift "time" and gave some more control. Really firmed it up, hitting second under even moderate acceleration meant 'chirping' the tires.

Old 05-30-2009, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmngrl8203 View Post
The car I am wanting is the Honda Civic SI so I dont know how it shifts. Anyone have one or driven one?
Honda's tend to have some of the smoothest manuals on the market. From shifting to overall drive feel; so should be no issues there

Old 05-30-2009, 05:42 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,211,102 times
I have driven a stick/manual more than an automatic. It is what I prefer. When we went looking at used cars on my cousin's lot we told him that I wanted/required either a 4x4 or something with a stick shift. I do not like driving in the winter but since work is 24 miles from home I want the control that either of these provide (more for my mental security than anything). My father had gone and talked to my cousin in advance to see what all he had on the lot (since it is about 180 miles for me to go check things out) and said that my cousin's jaw dropped when Dad told him that I really wanted a car with a stick. My cousin said that he doesn't see that too often - a woman wanting a manual transmission. Oh, well. I find them fun to drive. However, I can see where if you are going to be stuck in stop-and-go traffic on a regular basis how an automatic may be a better way to go.
And I agree that it does make girls cooler!

Old 05-30-2009, 06:49 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,317,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
back when she learned how to drive, we took her first onto the HS parking lot. Large, wide open space. It let her get comfortable with starting off, 1-2 up and downshifts, etc. Then it was onto the streets. And teaching someone on a newer car is MUCH easier then any of us older farts had it. These cars, with fuel injection, hydraulic clutches, and smoother linkages; it's almost hard to kill it starting off. And if one forgets to downshift enough, these cars rarely lug. Try learning on an old ride, no power steering, column shift, and a clutch that is either in or out...
I bet. I am learning on a '67. Maybe I should find a friend with a newer car to practice with first.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:17 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
Quote:
Try learning on an old ride, no power steering, column shift, and a clutch that is either in or out...
Learned how to drive at 12 Years old in a mid 60's GMC 1 ton truck with a 12' stake-rack bed and a "3 on the tree". I remember Dad telling me if I could drive that, I could drive any car I got into.

For me personally, in city driving I like an automatic; for anything else I like a manual.

Old 05-30-2009, 11:34 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,697,875 times
Stick for fun cars
auto for commuter cars.

Old 05-30-2009, 01:44 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,777,350 times
Yes during drag racing, an auto is a better choice because they're more consistent than a manual. Also because you can install a stall converter and a trans brake; these two together mean you can leave the line at whatever rpm the converter stalls at all you have to do is mash the gas and hold the button until the last yellow (or green if you're slow) comes in, then release. Much easier to launch than with a manual.

Yes I concur a chick that can drive a stick is cool. Or should i say plain sexy.

But IMO autos are for luxury cars. Trucks and sports cars should be manuals.

Quote:
As for the old "shift kit", if i remember correctly ( we did one on my 70 1/2 Camaro's th350 trans ), it was basically drilling out a couple of the holes on the plate in the valve body. This allowed for slightly more fluid to flow, which quickened the shift "time" and gave some more control. Really firmed it up, hitting second under even moderate acceleration meant 'chirping' the tires.
Sounds like you had one of those B&M shift kits....I too used to love how I could bark the tires on the 1-2 shift and then chirp them on the 2-3 shift...on a TH350 no doubt. Then I was later informed by a transmission rebuilder that what I was really doing was destroying the transmission. Guess I should count my stars the truck's tranny didn't go before I sold it. Those B&M's are half done way (for a lack of better terms) of a shift kit as they eliminate some of the vital parts like the accumulator.

Last shift kit I did was on my Chevelle with a TH350; I used a Trans Go which didn't involve drilling anything....it was a matter of removing the valves inside of the valve body and then replacing the springs on them. The end result was a snappy shift but not harsh/neck jerking/filling shaking loose/tire barking/destroy your sprag ride.

Old 05-30-2009, 02:00 PM

16,665 posts, read 17,430,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post
Stick for fun cars
auto for commuter cars.
I'll go with that.

I have my slushmobile and my wife has stick shift.

I prefer auto but like to keep my hand in with manual (no pun intended).

My daughter will be eligable to learn in just over three years when it will be eighteen here in the UK, up from seventeen.

I wonder how things will continue to go.

My feeling is that there will be more and more 'intellegent' autos/CVTs being produced.

By that I mean ones which will be able to allow the car to be as economical as possible when required and give high performance when required.

So, should she bother learning on a stick shift?

Maybe that's for another thread.

Old 05-30-2009, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Sounds like you had one of those B&M shift kits....I too used to love how I could bark the tires on the 1-2 shift and then chirp them on the 2-3 shift...on a TH350 no doubt. Then I was later informed by a transmission rebuilder that what I was really doing was destroying the transmission. .
it was similar, but I was in an auto mech program at the time so we had the "plans" and just did it ourselves. I can say the tranny outlasted the motor. Though my smallblock had the 4 bolt main and was pretty hefty on the bottom end, one toooooo many burnouts ( ok, we lived out in the stix, what else were we to do?? ) and I ended up with some nicely twisted rods, and bearings seizing up. But the tranny held up fine! At least i think it did... car ended up being parted out.
sniff sniff....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive