Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 02:10 PM

80 posts, read 338,415 times

Advertisements

my aunts ford windstar would go in reverse but not drive so i checked her transmission fluid and it was black. is there any way oil could have somehow leaked into it or something else could have gone wrong that could have turned it black. there is that slight possibility she put oil in it when she was told to add tranny fluid but i was just wondering how this could have happened if she didnt add oil to it thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 02:24 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,440,930 times
Is it possible it was just really burnt?

Old 06-02-2009, 02:48 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,904,578 times
Not good. No matter what's in there it needs to be flushed.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:57 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
My guess also is it wqas burnt from overheatign. You can smell the burnt if so.

Old 06-02-2009, 03:22 PM

80 posts, read 338,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
Not good. No matter what's in there it needs to be flushed.
so i can just drain it and put new fluid in

Old 06-02-2009, 03:41 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,075,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexr071291 View Post
It's that easy! But there's no guarantee it will fix your transmission problem.

Old 06-02-2009, 03:46 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,668,485 times
Quote:
To be honest, with the fluid like that (my guess is that it's a combination of age and a lot of dirt, plus maybe a little burnt) I'd take the van in and have a full tranny flush.

It's going to cost somewhere around $90, and there is no guarantee that it'll work. But if the fluid is really dirty, the flush MIGHT help.

If it works, you've just gotten a really cheap tranny fix. If not, well... at least you know you tried.

Old 06-02-2009, 03:48 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,440,930 times
I know quite a few people that are in your situation where a fluid change fixed they issues.

Old 06-02-2009, 03:50 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,052,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
It's that easy! But there's no guarantee it will fix your transmission problem.
True that. But from where you are now OP, this is about the only thing that makes any sense to do. Check and see if the trans has a filter, when you go to pick up ATF ask the parts guy if this van has a transmission filter - if so it might be worth changing that as well.

Sad to say even if a change of fluid fixes most of your symptoms for now, it's not been my experience that the trans lives a long happy life thereafter.

Be checking around on how you might get a rebuilt or ex-junkyard transola installed, if the rest of the van is in good enough shape to justify spending probably a minimum of $1500 (OK you might get off the hook for a couple hundred if you DIY the install of a boneyard trans - but this is not for the faint of wrench...)

Old 06-02-2009, 09:04 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,858,693 times
Quote:
my aunts ford windstar would go in reverse but not drive so i checked her transmission fluid and it was black. is there any way oil could have somehow leaked into it or something else could have gone wrong that could have turned it black. there is that slight possibility she put oil in it when she was told to add tranny fluid but i was just wondering how this could have happened if she didnt add oil to it thanks!!!
It needs a new transmission, or a rebuild.
CHANGING/FLUSHING THE FLUID WITH A NEW FILTER WILL NOT FIX THIS PROBLEM!!!

The misinformation out there is frightening.
Whenever a customer comes in wanting a fluid change, when they've never been in before, and the car has 100k+ on it, it's always the same story. They think a service is somehow going to miraculously fix the thing. Good grief.

Changing or even flushing the fluid might at best cure a harsh shift or something minor. If you're lucky, it'll buy you a few hundred extra miles down the road... and that's under normal circumstances. With black fluid, forget about it.

The fluid is black because it overheated. It probably overheated because of excessive debris in the trans (clogs the filter, and often the cooler in the radiator), which means something is coming apart, somewhere in there. Happens all the time. If it checks full, while the vehicle is running, the shifter is in Park, and it doesn't move forward ... it's a no-brainer, the trans is bad. Trying to service it would be a waste of time and perfectly good trans fluid.
Windstar transmissions are notorious for breaking down.
I work in a transmission repair shop (ASE certified, by the way), and we see 2-3 of those in the shop every week, not to mention that many Taurus's which are virtually identical, mechanically speaking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive