U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Automatic or stick?
Automatic 17 30.91%
Stick 38 69.09%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 08:29 AM

4,677 posts, read 1,983,104 times

Advertisements

I have driven an automatic since I learned how to drive. Well I went car shopping recently but the car I found I like only comes in a stick shift. So I have recently been taught how to drive a stick. But before I buy the car I'm trying to figure out if its worth it to drive stick over auto? I live in St. Louis so I heard with traffic it can be a real pain.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 08:33 AM

5,118 posts, read 10,813,257 times
I love to dive a stick - except in traffic. My commute has me in bumper to bumper with frequent stops and slow dows in the afternoon. I had a stick and when I switched to automatic, I was much happier.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:08 AM

13,808 posts, read 25,507,409 times
The new automatic trannies are getting really good. I like the stick for the longevity but auto trannies are lasting a lot longer these days.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:26 AM

773 posts, read 2,447,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
The new automatic trannies are getting really good. I like the stick for the longevity but auto trannies are lasting a lot longer these days.
Automatics usually last longer than manuals; the clutch is the first thing to fail on manuals. I like manuals, they are fun to drive, especially if the car is a rear wheel drive. However, my last several cars have been automatics, as most of my driving is in the city. BTW, most taxis are automatic, which would seem to indicate they are cheaper to maintain.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:30 AM

605 posts, read 2,862,199 times
I've driven stick for a long time.

1. Cheaper. An automatic was a $1250 option on my car (not an issue if you buy used, but it can raise prices on used cars, too).

2. Less likely to be borrowed/stolen.

3. Control. I shift when *I* want to, not when the car thinks it should.

4. Generally, less problems and cheaper to repair. I say generally, because clutches can go out. But if you drive it correctly (don't dump/ride the clutch), they should last a long time with minimal maintenance. I've never had to replace a clutch and I've driven manuals since 1990. This encompasses 4 vehicles. Take care when you drive and they should last.

5. Coolness factor. Girls who drive stick are cooler.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:57 AM

1,076 posts, read 4,166,238 times
Always driven a stick shift, but there have been some frustrating times in traffic, that's for sure.

Hard to inch forward for hours, bouncing from neutral to 1st and back again, .. when the traffic's too slow, it's a real pain.

Even so, always stayed with a manual because they're fun to drive.

But if you're going to be stuck in traffic daily, you might want to think automatic. Especially if that's what you've been used to.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:01 AM

13,808 posts, read 25,507,409 times
Quote:
4. Generally, less problems and cheaper to repair. I say generally, because clutches can go out. But if you drive it correctly (don't dump/ride the clutch), they should last a long time with minimal maintenance. I've never had to replace a clutch and I've driven manuals since 1990. This encompasses 4 vehicles. Take care when you drive and they should last.
4 cars over almost 20 years, that's what, 5 years per car? How many miles do you put on them? My guess would be less than 20k/year, so you're looking at a basis of <100,000 miles on the clutch.

Just saying, that's not exactly a great comparison. You'd need to drive a car longer than the useful life of the tranny to find out the actual costs of ownership.

Most autos will last 200, 300k miles w/ a tranny that still works. Same goes for sticks. From what I've seen the cost is about even, 2-3 clutch changes vs. 1 new auto tranny. If the synco's go in the stick you are looking at about the same $$ for a rebuild as an auto.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:12 AM

4,237 posts, read 23,509,804 times
I appreciate a manual (stick) over an auto in most cases, but if I were commuting in heavy traffic I'd consider an automatic just to save wear on my left leg.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:19 AM

5,553 posts, read 6,449,682 times
Prefer stick over manual, but both have its advantages. Don't like stick on steep hills, but have more control over snow in winter. More economical.They're kind of fun unless you multi-task which I don't do.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:43 AM

1,289 posts, read 5,865,381 times
When I first got my license and my first car it was automatic. Fast foward to selling that car a year later and buying my new ones, they have all been stick. There is just something about driving stick that just worked for me but then again they were always sports cars too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive