Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 04:37 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,794,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
People are not aware of what I referred too the 5 lbs of boost as being with a waste gate.

Anyone with any Turbo Knowledge would understand my meaning.

Buy the book "Turbochargers" by Hugh Macinnes and open your eyes.

I did and still do not know it all.

Steve
I've never seen or heard of a turbo setup that did not have a wastegate. It's a crucial element to a turbocharged system to keep the engine from grenading due to overboost.

I have turbo knowledge and I still don't understand your meaning. There's really no "meaning" to be gleaned from a claim that factory boost systems are "5 pounds max." That's pretty unambiguous, and also quite false.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 05:30 PM

28,980 posts, read 14,317,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC View Post
Get a VW TDI turbo diesel. Either a Jetta, Golf, or Passat. There isn't a better car for climbing hills than a TDI. It will not only climb any hill in high gear, but it will get 40+mpg doing it. No better bang for the buck, barr none.

I agree !!

Old 05-30-2009, 07:50 PM

2,140 posts, read 4,433,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC View Post
Get a VW TDI turbo diesel. Either a Jetta, Golf, or Passat. There isn't a better car for climbing hills than a TDI. It will not only climb any hill in high gear, but it will get 40+mpg doing it. No better bang for the buck, barr none.
I agree too! I would love to get one myself at some point if I thought I could afford it. The newer TDI (turbo direct injection, I believe) engines are just in a whole different league than those weak, smelly diesels VW built back in the '70s and '80s for their Rabbits and Dashers.

With your mountain driving, I think a VW TDI and a 5-speed stick would be a match made in heaven. Probably drop it down in 4th gear and you could climb an 8 or 9 percent grade easily.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:50 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,685,019 times
I refuse to help this OP...

Doesn't answer any of the questions asked... simply throwing up a question and checking in every once and a while to see if there is answer to their liking. Sorry OP, NO input.... NO help.

Ill make sure to point and laugh at every car I see struggling up Colorado terrain... hehehe

Mods: Can we get this sucker closed already?

Old 06-01-2009, 12:26 AM

18,933 posts, read 43,293,093 times
Ditch the four banger and get a V6.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:27 AM

1,765 posts, read 7,308,864 times
Dear topic starter,

Downshift going up the hill. Chances are, if you have an automatic, it's in the highest gear/overdrive right until you reach the grade that's giving you the problem. Most automatics do this, and by the time it downshifts for you, you're way out of the sweet spot where your car makes the most power/torque/go-stuff.

Many of the newer small cars (for example our 08 Yaris hatchback) have improved automatics that will downshift in a heartbeat going up or even down hills.

If it is a manual and you're having problems, the answer is the same, downshift.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:43 AM

5,994 posts, read 19,921,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
With higher compression engine, the boost is generally kept low. A high pressure turbo will usually go with a low compression engine (as Steve alluded to earlier). Most Hondas, for example, start with high compression and are high revvers. The combination demands lower boost but higher revving nature makes up for the power.

Even RDX that you mentioned as having 14 psi, runs that boost only upto 4500 rpm, and then it is dropped to about 8 psi by the time it gets to 6500 rpm.
Well yeah, I have a very good understanding as to why they run low boost. That statement was just used to push my point that most factory turbo setups run quite a bit more than 5lbs of boost.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:48 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,725,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
Well yeah, I have a very good understanding as to why they run low boost. That statement was just used to push my point that most factory turbo setups run quite a bit more than 5lbs of boost.
True. But that is also done with the point of maximizing output from a small displacement, anything otherwise would defeat the purpose. I was wondering about factory boost levels for various variants of VW 1.8T from about a decade ago.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:22 PM

5,994 posts, read 19,921,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
True. But that is also done with the point of maximizing output from a small displacement, anything otherwise would defeat the purpose. I was wondering about factory boost levels for various variants of VW 1.8T from about a decade ago.
I believe the older 1.8T's were still running around 9lbs (8.8 if you want to get specific).

Old 06-01-2009, 04:39 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,725,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
I believe the older 1.8T's were still running around 9lbs (8.8 if you want to get specific).
There were several variants of it, the base version being low pressure 1.8T (about 7 psi) and going up from there in various applications.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive