Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 08:25 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,112,514 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody.

Suppose you get what sounds like a good deal on a new car - say a Toyota Rav 4 or a Nissan Rogue or Murano, so not luxury cars and fairly low budget.

Then they'll try to "stick it to you" through financing deals and add dealer prep fees, etc.

What do I need to do to get the real bottom line and not pay the extras?

Thanks for your comments!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 08:44 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,754,099 times
Give them your best offer and tell them you're only going to pay state sales tax and state registration fees on top of that "best offer". If they want to put down an advertising surcharge, an administrative surcharge, a processing fee, etc. don't worry about how they structure the pricing within the contract. Just worry about: Here's my offer, i'm only paying state mandated fees on top of this offer, period. And when/if they try to slip in a small additional charge on the contract, don't argue, just get up and walk out. They'll run after you, very quickly.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Give them your best offer and tell them you're only going to pay state sales tax and state registration fees on top of that "best offer". If they want to put down an advertising surcharge, an administrative surcharge, a processing fee, etc. don't worry about how they structure the pricing within the contract. Just worry about: Here's my offer, i'm only paying state mandated fees on top of this offer, period. And when/if they try to slip in a small additional charge on the contract, don't argue, just get up and walk out. They'll run after you, very quickly.
LOLLLLLL. Wish you could go with me.
They so love to mumbo jumbo you to death.

Thanks!

Oh... are Destination Charges mandatory? It's like $800 for these cars.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:50 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,754,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
LOLLLLLL. Wish you could go with me.
They so love to mumbo jumbo you to death.

Thanks!

Oh... are Destination Charges mandatory? It's like $800 for these cars.
Yes, destination is mandatory on a new vehicle. It will be printed on the monroney sticker that's on the window of a new vehicle.

Old 05-31-2009, 11:10 AM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,343,662 times
You may want to consider writing down the number you want to pay, that way you can refer to it and help you from being swayed. Just look at the writing and stick to it.

Old 05-31-2009, 05:47 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,483,446 times
Most dealers will be very liberal in negotiating anything not on the MSRP window now days.Best thing is to find out the invoice price at several sites that does list these and go from there really.Destination is always on the invoice and MSRP sticker.

Old 05-31-2009, 06:07 PM

3,961 posts, read 10,960,252 times
many dealers do those charges. Like noted above, let them know what you wish to pay ( and do some research on kbb or edmunds.com and be reasonable in your offer ) and hold to it.
One thing to note, at least back in WI and perhaps in other states as well. Some F&I managers can and will try to finance you thru their lenders at an upcharge. BUT others will at least match the rate you were quoted, and possibly from the same lender. That just means you get the same cost, and they do the paperwork to save you a trip to your bank ( bank will pay dealer a small spiff for the task ).
Also, the last couple cars we financed were not only thru the dealer but thru the manu's finance division. Yes this was before the market crash so who knows how it all works out now. But we searched our cu's and local banks to get their best rate, and the manu was better each time.
Just another way to save some $$.
good luck

Old 05-31-2009, 06:18 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,500,286 times
I bought two new Ford trucks last year thru Costco. They sold them to us for $2500 under the dealers invoice, threw in 100,000 mile warranties. Could not be happier. If you don't have a Costco card Sam's - club has a similar program. You still get any dealer offers on top of the Costco program - low interest, rebates, etc,,

Do not buy the Gap insurance from the dealer. Your auto insurance will sell it way cheaper.

Old 06-01-2009, 05:24 AM

I did go to two dealerships yesterday. The Nissan guy was nice and he said he took the shortcut with me. Gave me his best price with no dealer fees or anything extra. I had my numbers and he had his and it didn't work out because he had no base Rogue SLs left and said there were none in any other dealerships so we were only working with the high end one which didn't add up for me.

Then I went to the Toyota dealer. There is only 1 base Rav4 in another dealership. The one I was at gave me a written quote that included $600 dealer prep. I told him - I am not paying THAT and if you take off another $1000, you've got a deal. They wouldn't reduce the $1000 because the car was at another dealership so they couldn't lose money.

I do have a credit union that has a service that they will find you the car you want without all the markups, etc. THEY SAY.

And thanks for the Costco tip. I have a membership with them and forgot all about their car buying service.

Now I know where the my Rav4 is too.

Old 06-01-2009, 05:05 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,500,286 times
I did most of the buying with emails and phone calls to the dealer, spent less than a hour at the dealership both times. Using costco really stream lined the purchases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive