U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 09:12 PM

157 posts, read 1,052,249 times

Advertisements

I agree with northbound. 99.9% chance of the trans being fried. Mitch has a good idea of a junkyard trans. Just check fluid condition and get one with a little warranty.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 10:30 PM

18,460 posts, read 39,005,472 times
Windstars are notorious for bad transmissions. I agree with the others, it's probably shot.

This might could have been prevented by changing the fluid every 30k miles, but it's too late for that now.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:35 PM

OK I didn't read all of it, I see northbound already mentioned the famous Windstar tranny problems. They're almost as problematic as the Dodge Intrepid.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:40 PM

7,305 posts, read 26,471,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
They're almost as problematic as the Dodge Intrepid.

....and Dodge Caravans and Plymouth Voyagers....

Old 06-03-2009, 04:56 PM

16,079 posts, read 52,432,559 times
Well if the transmissions are known to be weak, I'd suggest seeing if there is an updated version available as a rebuilt, rather than a junkyard transmission, figuring the boneyard unit is probably well on it's way to being fried as well.

I'm more used to old-school cars and trucks, in most of these you are out a Saturday afternoon's worth of work to R&R the transmission, beyond that on an old-school manual if you take the side plate off and take a look at the gears, make sure the bearings are not bad, if it shifts into each gear and you can turn it by hand, 99% chance it's fine.

On the other hand some minivans are really miserable outfits to R&R the trans or engine. Ha, an objective reason for us real motorheads to hate them...

Old 06-03-2009, 05:08 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,067,954 times
Well I guess Northbound77's words are gospel. Others on this thread have had success replacing their transmission fluid, but he says no. Like it's a huge risk replacing the fluid? Maybe the original poster should take his van to you?

Old 06-03-2009, 06:14 PM

3,743 posts, read 12,767,167 times
What northbound stated is true, but changing the fluid is cheap and needs to be done if the old fluid is black, so start with a change. Flushing is worthless, and if new fluid doesn't alleviate the problem, you'll need to think about transmission work.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:25 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,067,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
What northbound stated is true, but changing the fluid is cheap and needs to be done if the old fluid is black, so start with a change. Flushing is worthless, and if new fluid doesn't alleviate the problem, you'll need to think about transmission work.
If what Northbound stated is true why bother changing the fluid? Basically everyone on this thread said (including you) with the exception of Northbound--change the fluid first.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
Well I guess Northbound77's words are gospel. Others on this thread have had success replacing their transmission fluid, but he says no. Like it's a huge risk replacing the fluid? Maybe the original poster should take his van to you?

Changing the fluid slows down the future wear, it won't fix the wear that has already occurred. The fluid should have been changed before it ever got to the point of turning brown (or black).

Old 06-03-2009, 09:32 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,411,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
I did not mean to offend.
If the fluid level on the van shows to be full, and the vehicle still doesn't move, there is no point in even changing the fluid.
If the fluid level is low, simply top it off and see if it moves. If that works, then a fluid change with a flush might get a few more miles out of the trans, but probably not much more. With black fluid, however, it almost always needs a trans.
I've been in the auto biz for 12 years, and the transmission specialty side of it for about 9 years. I've seen this hundreds of times.

The goal of a flush is to replace all of the fluid in the trans. By dropping the pan and replacing the filter on this particular unit, you're only changing about 7 quarts, not the full 14 that is in the trans. For example, what is in the torque converter will not come out during a routine service.
It's a rare case when a flush actually fixes anything. The main goal here is to get the trans back on track with a good service schedule, so you don't have to flush it out on every service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive