U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 08:55 PM

9,131 posts, read 17,444,817 times

Advertisements

Ok, I have been shopping for a new car, and am stuck on three possible choices which I like close to equally, for different reasons.

First, Chevy Camaro. I love the styling, and I like the fact it is domestic. I have owned imports before (a Subaru, couple Mazda's), but I tend to favor domestics. Downside, it seems a bit BIG to me.

VW GTI. I don't really find this car too comfortable based on the stiff seats. However, this car is a blast to drive. Very quck, very responsive. Other than comfort, the styling also doesn't do too much for me.

Volvo C30. Also decently powerful. Only ok on handling. However, the seats in this car are to die for. Extremely comfortable. Like a big, thickly padded living room lounge chair. Enough to almost make you forget it drives like a Volvo (which isn't bad at all, but I tend to like more sporty, and less creamy ride).

All are priced closely too, with the VW the cheapest and the C30 the priciest (with like options).

Since I like all, and have some dislikes of all, I am having a heck of a time making a decision.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 09:15 PM

5,969 posts, read 8,544,714 times
I would choose the Chevy Camaro, but I would not rule out the Ford Mustang. These cars are pure American muscle!

Old 06-05-2009, 09:20 PM

3,503 posts, read 6,636,937 times
If the Camaro really is a consideration, you ought to look at the Mustang as well.

From what I hear, the reviews are way better on the 2010 Mustang.

But, I guess we should be happy if the 5th Gen Camaro is somewhat serviceable under the hood and there isn't that wretched lump right in front of the front passenger seat where the cat converters are jammed under! I've sat in a later Sonoma (2003?) with that same idea put to use...not comfy!

Old 06-06-2009, 08:54 PM

9,131 posts, read 17,444,817 times
I have a lot of respect for the current Mustang. However, I am looking at the V6 model Camaro, and the V6 Mustang just doesn't compare, where as the V8 Mustang is a bit more than I am looking at.

In regards to the reviews. The mags do seem to give the Mustang to win. It is based on the V8 Track Pack, which gives the Stang some better handling and steering feel in comparison to the Camaro. I can appreciate that, but for my daily driving and commuting, at the limit handling and feel really isn't going to be the deciding factor.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:17 PM

4,033 posts, read 9,487,635 times
I like the idea of buying domestic. I would buy the car that handles the best but only for safety reasons (especially b/c you will be driving in snow?) Volvo's are great in a crash but I would prefer a vehicle that will handle well enough to prevent one.

The thing I don't lke about V6's is that they [tend to] consume more gas; however, I do like that they can accelerate in a pinch. The GTI is a fun car--quick and zippy come to mind, substantial does not. For me it would be between the Volvo and the Camaro, and the deciding factor is then economics/longevity.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:26 PM

3,144 posts, read 7,948,894 times
Camaro.

Just keep it free of WNY rust.

Old 06-06-2009, 10:47 PM

7,305 posts, read 25,783,836 times
Camaro.

I just like them. On another board though, someone asked a similiar question... it was between an American make car and two foreign cars... someones reply was, "its American, these days we have to buy American", but these days, you dont know what you are buying do you?

Old 06-07-2009, 08:46 AM

8,778 posts, read 18,190,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
All are priced closely too, with the VW the cheapest and the C30 the priciest (with like options).
Since I like all, and have some dislikes of all, I am having a heck of a time making a decision.
The Camaro would be my choice out of the 3, but if you don't have a 2nd car, it might be a PITA in the snowbelt. What about the V6 Accord coupe? Maybe that would be a nice compromise for you?

Old 06-07-2009, 09:13 AM

6,743 posts, read 8,804,649 times
Camaro hands down

Old 06-07-2009, 12:46 PM

20,005 posts, read 73,056,481 times
GTi for looks/build quality, Camaro for performance. Just decide which one is more important to you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive