U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 07:53 PM

8,292 posts, read 24,913,983 times

Advertisements

Last night I put new rear brakes on a nephew's car (an older Saab). Though I'd like to bury my boot up his butt, I'll probably just give him a thorough chewing out.

A partial list of things wrong with his car:
- One of the rear rotors was worn to (literally) the thickness of shoe-box cardboard. He had been grinding steel on steel that long.
- No brake fluid because both front calipers leak.
- No power steering fluid.
- Every dashboard warning light is on.
- No turn signals.
- No high beams.
- No mirrors.
- All the shock absorbers are shot.
- Misc. suspension bushings worn and/or missing.

This dink is a fatal accident waiting to happen. And he doesn't care. He seems to think it's kind of funny.

Meanwhile, innocent people are driving cars responsibly, but are at greatly increased risk due to people like this.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 08:46 PM

4,711 posts, read 11,770,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Last night I put new rear brakes on a nephew's car (an older Saab). Though I'd like to bury my boot up his butt, I'll probably just give him a thorough chewing out.

- One of the rear rotors was worn to (literally) the thickness of shoe-box cardboard. He had been grinding steel on steel that long.
- No turn signals.
- No high beams.
- No mirrors.

This dink is a fatal accident waiting to happen. And he doesn't care. He seems to think it's kind of funny.

Meanwhile, innocent people are driving cars responsibly, but are at greatly increased risk due to people like this.

Some people just run 'em til they stop running.

I have a friend that has a small garage on top of Fancy Gap mountain in SW Virginia. As you enter VA on I-77 northbound from NC, there's a looong, steep grade...I don't know for sure, it's maybe a 10 mile hard pull up that grade. He has 3 wreckers that are kept busy going after cars that broke on that hill. He says it never ceases to amaze him that people set out on long highway trips in cars that are in awful mechanical condition. They make him a nice living...

Old 06-06-2009, 08:48 PM

9,131 posts, read 17,484,321 times
Is there no annual safety inspection in that state? That car would never pass NY inspection. Even places that are willing to look the other way and just give a sticker probably wouldn't pass something in that bad of condition.

Old 06-06-2009, 08:49 PM

8,292 posts, read 24,913,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Is there no annual safety inspection in that state? That car would never pass NY inspection.
You are correct, and you are correct.

It wouldn't pass any inspection anywhere.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:24 PM

3,144 posts, read 7,959,887 times
Quote:
Is there no annual safety inspection in that state? That car would never pass NY inspection. Even places that are willing to look the other way and just give a sticker probably wouldn't pass something in that bad of condition.
+1... Though there are shops that prosper due to the fact they turn many a blind eye.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:30 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,855,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Some people just run 'em til they stop running.

I have a friend that has a small garage on top of Fancy Gap mountain in SW Virginia. As you enter VA on I-77 northbound from NC, there's a looong, steep grade...I don't know for sure, it's maybe a 10 mile hard pull up that grade. He has 3 wreckers that are kept busy going after cars that broke on that hill. He says it never ceases to amaze him that people set out on long highway trips in cars that are in awful mechanical condition. They make him a nice living...
That is one beautiful stretch of highway. You can see for miles. I do notice that I see some vehicles having a tough time with that area.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:41 PM

602 posts, read 1,889,735 times
Quote:
The only inspection I ever had to do here in Ohio is when I first registered a car here. All they checked was to make sure the headlights and turn signals were working and thats it.
While I enjoy not having to pay for the state inspection every year, you'd be amazed at some of the junk on the road down here.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:19 AM

18,265 posts, read 37,402,228 times
Quote:

- No turn signals.
- No high beams.
- No mirrors.

The best thing you could have done is make him sit there next to you and help you change those parts. You should have made him hold the old parts and the new parts and compare them. Some kids today are so mechanically dumb they don't even know what a rotor is.

Nothing like having to get your hands dirty to fix your own stuff to make you respect it a little more.

Old 06-07-2009, 11:04 AM

8,778 posts, read 18,216,235 times
Quote:
Maybe it would have been better for your fellow motorists safety if you had done something to "immobilize" this vehicle permanently.

Old 06-07-2009, 11:40 AM

3,743 posts, read 12,443,310 times
Quote:
Last night I put new rear brakes on a nephew's car (an older Saab).

- No turn signals.
- No high beams.
- No mirrors.
Wait, that's not normal for a Saab?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive