Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 09:14 AM

602 posts, read 2,026,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Yes, you buy them at the grocery stores for $1.55 a pop, put yard waste in them and they pick them up in a separate truck. The city does a lot of composting here. You can get compost, mulch, etc at the landfill. Really excellent program. We also recycle most plastics, paper (including old phone books) and clear and green glass at the curb.

Or you can bundle the limbs (I find this more hassle then just cutting them up), and pay $1.00 for a sticker to put on the bundle.

Once I figured out how much more it was going to take to cut the branches small enough to fit in the bags I decided to just haul it all. I estimate at least 15 bags for what I had and it cost me $6.00, some time, and some gas..
That sounds like a real pain in the ass! And I thought my garbage service was expensive and worthless!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 12:30 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,514,684 times
LMAO!

Actually we like it. It allows everyone who wants to the ability to recycle in an easy way. The only "extra" you pay for are the bags or stickers for yard waste and anyone can do what I do and not participate. You should see the result! Considerably less waste going into the landfill because of recycling and a lot, and I mean a lot, of compost and mulch for the homeowners and the city.

The cost is the same whether you recycle or not (except for^) so everyone might as well recycle. There are special green bins we fill that are soon to be replaced by an automated system much like the regular trash where a truck lifts it into the back with a hydraulic arm. Now someone has to sort it as it's placed in the truck. The new system sorts it automatically at the factory.

Problem is the new system lends itself to abuse.

We'll see...

Old 06-10-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
LMAO!

Actually we like it. It allows everyone who wants to the ability to recycle in an easy way. The only "extra" you pay for are the bags or stickers for yard waste and anyone can do what I do and not participate. You should see the result! Considerably less waste going into the landfill because of recycling and a lot, and I mean a lot, of compost and mulch for the homeowners and the city.

The cost is the same whether you recycle or not (except for^) so everyone might as well recycle. There are special green bins we fill that are soon to be replaced by an automated system much like the regular trash where a truck lifts it into the back with a hydraulic arm. Now someone has to sort it as it's placed in the truck. The new system sorts it automatically at the factory.

Problem is the new system lends itself to abuse.

We'll see...
Let me preface this by saying, I actually forgot the last time I recycled anything. I lived in apartments for quite a while, and recycling really isn't all that feasible when the only garbage collection you have is a dumpster. And to be quite honest, I just haven't felt the urge to start doing it again now that I have a house. Plus, yard debris being naturally biodegradable, it really doesn't matter whether they rot in a landfill or some other place.

Perhaps if they did the same thing with tires and made some cheap rubber mulch, I wouldn't mind seeing something like that here. I don't re-mulch my place often enough to do take advantage of something like that.
Plus, regular mulch is stinky and doesn't keep the weeds out all that well. The best lawn, in my opinion is a low-maintenance one! But, I digress....

Let me end this by saying, all that said, seeing the back of your car jammed with all those branches is funny and thats more or less the reason why this thread has kept going!

Old 06-10-2009, 06:13 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,683,234 times
I didn't realize how foreign an idea recycling was until I spent some time in other states. NY recycles like crazy... we get a bins for plastic, metals, papers and glass that you just put by the curb, also any vegetation is put on the curb and taken away with our tax dollars.

General refuse is public service in the city however private elsewhere.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
I didn't realize how foreign an idea recycling was until I spent some time in other states. NY recycles like crazy... we get a bins for plastic, metals, papers and glass that you just put by the curb, also any vegetation is put on the curb and taken away with our tax dollars.

Garbage collection here isn't taxpayer funded, you pay for it, like you would your electric bill, gas bill, etc. We do have recycle bins here, but not everyone does it, (I don't).
As for yard debris or any other junk wood, if it ain't bagged, they more or less pick it up when they feel like it, much to my chagrin.....

Old 06-10-2009, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truemuck View Post
Let me preface this by saying, I actually forgot the last time I recycled anything. I lived in apartments for quite a while, and recycling really isn't all that feasible when the only garbage collection you have is a dumpster. And to be quite honest, I just haven't felt the urge to start doing it again now that I have a house. Plus, yard debris being naturally biodegradable, it really doesn't matter whether they rot in a landfill or some other place.

Perhaps if they did the same thing with tires and made some cheap rubber mulch, I wouldn't mind seeing something like that here. I don't re-mulch my place often enough to do take advantage of something like that.
Plus, regular mulch is stinky and doesn't keep the weeds out all that well. The best lawn, in my opinion is a low-maintenance one! But, I digress....

Let me end this by saying, all that said, seeing the back of your car jammed with all those branches is funny and thats more or less the reason why this thread has kept going!
The reason I posted the picture. I stepped back and looked at the branches sticking out and thought, "I have to share this!"

Quote:

We were recently in Jacksonville, FL and were surprised at the lack of recycling. I guess it all depends on how important it is to those in control.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:04 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,683,234 times
Quote:
We were recently in Jacksonville, FL and were surprised at the lack of recycling. I guess it all depends on how important it is to those in control.
Collecting cans and bottles is for deposits is big business up here as well. There is definitely incentive if your paid to recycle.... imo its a very effective plan. I've been known to walk away from a bottle/can return run with $30-$40 in my pocket... yeah, I know some real party animals lol.

People in non deposit states just throw away cans and bottles most of the time... I saw this when I was down in KY, I thought they were nuts!

Old 06-10-2009, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Collecting cans and bottles is for deposits is big business up here as well. There is definitely incentive if your paid to recycle.... imo its a very effective plan. I've been known to walk away from a bottle/can return run with $30-$40 in my pocket... yeah, I know some real party animals lol.

People in non deposit states just throw away cans and bottles most of the time... I saw this when I was down in KY, I thought they were nuts!
I'm originally from Buffalo and I know what you mean about the deposit. Good way to get beer money. I used to take some back home with me, but now that most of the places use machines, returning out of state stuff is next to impossible.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:40 AM

I do can/bottle returns about 3 times a year. Our store has a 200 at a time limit so I just keep an eye on the amount and go when I get close to the max. Sure does help keep the ditches clean!

Old 06-11-2009, 09:18 AM

18,931 posts, read 43,274,714 times
I can imagine those interior plastics are scratched to hell.

You need to get yourself a wood chipper. I love my DR chipper, I can have a pile like that gone in ten minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive