U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 08:15 AM

19,696 posts, read 9,478,686 times

Advertisements

Not that I condone this , just curious about other areas of the country. Is there street racing still done in your area ? I know NYC still has some big races going on. And I'm not talking about some 14 second ricer, I'm talking about 8, 9 second cars.

Here's a race from the "D"

YouTube - street racing detroit
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 01:39 PM

14,262 posts, read 21,293,220 times
Down here in Tampa we still have several spots that the car crowd gathers at on Friday or Saturday night and there are inevitably races. This usually happens on the bridges between Pinellas County and Tampa.

Old 06-13-2009, 02:16 PM

16,308 posts, read 26,860,062 times
I saw a bit on TV where one place that impounds the vehicles involved in street racing, then invites the owners (mandatory attendance required) to the scrap metal yard to watch their ride get compressed into a cube of scrap metal.

Let's hope the more and more places take the same approach to street racers.

Old 06-13-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
I saw a bit on TV where one place that impounds the vehicles involved in street racing, then invites the owners (mandatory attendance required) to the scrap metal yard to watch their ride get compressed into a cube of scrap metal.

I completely disagree. Why destroy valuable (and potentially rare) vehicles? That sacrilegious to car guys like myself.

If you want to confiscate the cars, fine, but they should be sold just like any other impounds.

Old 06-13-2009, 02:25 PM

23,732 posts, read 30,470,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post

I think that approach should be to drunk drivers. They are far more dangerous than street racers.

Old 06-13-2009, 02:26 PM

6,906 posts, read 20,496,916 times
The smashing is done in Calif. San Bernardino county mostly by the Sheriffs dept. Saw it on TV where a high dollar investment Ricer was sqished with the owner watching.

As a former licensed NHRA Pro owner/driver...they deserve it being done.

Race on the track and NOT in the street where some innocent person could be killed.

Steve

Old 06-13-2009, 02:32 PM

7,474 posts, read 21,773,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
That sacrilegious to car guys like myself.
If you were really a car guy, you would welcome whatever it takes to get those fools off of the hiways where they kill people. Crushing one's car definately gets their attention like nothing else does..!
Most of these cars could never be sold anyway, as they are a long ways from being legal. They ae highly modified and are not street legal.
I have been a mechanic and drag racer for many, many years, and I have no use for any fool who does any kind of street racing, and they should be tossed in jail and throw away the key...

Old 06-13-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
If you were really a car guy, you would welcome whatever it takes to get those fools off of the hiways where they kill people. Crushing one's car definately gets their attention like nothing else does..!
There are hundreds of other things that can be done to get attention without destroying extremely valuable cars that often times aren't even being produced anymore.

I can't see how anyone who holds even a remote interest in cars could see some classic car from the 60's or 70's get crushed because of an idiot owner and NOT think there was anything wrong with that situation.

Quote:
Most of these cars could never be sold anyway, as they are a long ways from being legal. They ae highly modified and are not street legal.
That should be of no deterrence at all as the cars would simply have to be made street legal before they could be registered. California already does.

Old 06-13-2009, 03:03 PM

38,798 posts, read 50,767,536 times
Street Racing in Prince George’s County Md. « NATIVE SON

2 indicted in 8 drag-racing deaths - Washington Times

A couple of stories for you street racers.

Old 06-13-2009, 03:33 PM

23,732 posts, read 30,470,738 times
Here is a statistic to absorb:
Total drunk-driving death in the U.S. this year (so far)...

5,823 (as of 1:30 PM EDT today)

Drunk driving statistics

I'd rather have a street racer next to me than a drunk driver; I would be safer (unless the street racer is drunk).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive