Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 05:46 AM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times

Advertisements

My car is in an independent ,recommended shop. Here is the history- used car that over heated, warped block and head. Installed used ,low mile motor same shop and now they can't figure out the problem with it.(smoking but all cylinders with good pressure) They want the place I bought the motor to come up with another engine but the place is sure the engine was fine. Stalemate with me holding the bag. Attorney time? If I keep letting them play with the motor I will have more in the repairs than I just paid for the car. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 06:07 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,880,174 times
make some noise.. demand a new engine or don't pay the bill. don't take no for an answer

Old 05-07-2009, 06:45 AM

I think the parts guy would be ok with it but he thinks the mechanic is clueless. The parts guy has been doing this for 20 years and the guy who pointed me to him is a trusted friend. The parts guy is demanding to see the parts the mech replaced since the motor was running fine before the pulled it. The parts guy thinks it is a sensor or the computer, or the fact the mech swapped out some other parts trying to get it to turn off the check engine light.

I don't know if I can legally stop check?

Old 05-07-2009, 06:54 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I think the parts guy would be ok with it but he thinks the mechanic is clueless. The parts guy has been doing this for 20 years and the guy who pointed me to him is a trusted friend. The parts guy is demanding to see the parts the mech replaced since the motor was running fine before the pulled it. The parts guy thinks it is a sensor or the computer, or the fact the mech swapped out some other parts trying to get it to turn off the check engine light.

I don't know if I can legally stop check?
I'm a little confused as to exactly what you're describing.

But I'm not confused about the fact that you're getting the shaft here. If you still can, put a "stop payment" on your check immediately. Once this shop has been paid for their work, they have no incentive to actually do the right thing.

I also think it's time for you strongly suggest that they get it done - and get it done right WITHOUT just screwing around and experimenting at YOUR expense - or you're calling an attorney.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:59 AM

23,559 posts, read 17,227,205 times
Default lot of details missing but...

If you supplied the engine it is on you.
Smoking may be from anything. Intake manifold installed improperly or not retorqued after running the engine for a few miles. Valve seals need to be replaced?...can be done without taking the engine apart. Cylinders out of round due to overheating create an oval shaped cylinder which prevents the rings from sealing. How do you know which engine is which? Have you checked the cast and stamped dates, VIN to be sure what is in there?

blue smoke or white smoke?
only on start up or constant?

Warped block and heads possible from overheating but I would yhink your talking a major overheat. which by the way often has a detrimental affect on the auto trans as it gets overheated as well. don't be surprised if the trans isn't your next problem.

Sometimes a customer gets a theoretical diagnosis. Overheat = warped head and block, well yeah maybe. Begs to ask how the warpage was determined. Straight edge along dismanteled block surface? what were the measurements? cylinders out of round?

It all sounds flukey to me.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:15 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,873,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
My car is in an independent ,recommended shop. Here is the history- used car that over heated, warped block and head. Installed used ,low mile motor same shop and now they can't figure out the problem with it.(smoking but all cylinders with good pressure) They want the place I bought the motor to come up with another engine but the place is sure the engine was fine. Stalemate with me holding the bag. Attorney time? If I keep letting them play with the motor I will have more in the repairs than I just paid for the car. Thoughts?
You left out a whole lot of information. What kind of car - year, make and model and engine size. If I'm reading your post right, the original engine overheated and you had a used engine installed. How does the new engine run? Does it overheat also or the only problem is that it smokes? If it runs ok, it may be that your exhaust system ( catalytic converter, muffler, pipes etc) are still full of coolant from the original engine overheat. If so, it will eventually stop smoking. In another post now you say you have a check engine light. Could be the same problem ( oxygen sensors contaminated) or maybe a sensor was left disconnected or damaged. There are a many possibile reasons for the light. Has anyone checked the codes?

Old 05-07-2009, 08:56 AM

886 posts, read 5,715,978 times
You get what you paid for. You wanted the used engine I am assuming because it was cheaper. You cant hold the shop liable for a bad used engine.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:22 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
You left out a whole lot of information...
You're right.

There is a whole lot more to this story than we're being told.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:07 PM

Car bmw, year 04.

I bought a low miles engine because I can't afford a brand new one, that would cost as much as the car.

Now it's finger pointing time. Either the guys missed something else wrong with the car after the engine or the engine had an issue to begin with. The car now has a low cylinder at 120 and the mechanic thinks it was over heated. I know for a fact that didn't happen unless the computer and gauges are not working properly. The engine was not revved high nor did the engine ever get over the normal temp zone.

So, either the engine had an issue or the mechanic missed something like the computer faulting. I don't know what my options are now since it's just a big finger pointing charade. The mechanic keeps hooking up the computer and replacing stuff that doesn't fix it. That is until he did a pressure check.

A ? does a vanos have to have the head pulled to be replaced? I don't think so but that could be an issue if he didn't replace the gasket.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:40 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
120 PSI is not *real* bad compression, what are the other cylinders?

Are you saying the original engine was never overheated or over-revved, or the current ex-junkyard engine?

What, besides smoke (what color?) is the current engine doing wrong? Have you considered taking it and driving it for a few weeks, with the shop warrentying that it will pass smog later? Assuming they are willing to go this route. Engines that have been sitting sometimes will smoke when first started up, but will quit soon after.

Something to think about, you are not that far from Dinan, if the car is otherwise in excellent condition, maybe someone would buy it to put a Dinan engine in? Just a thought..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive