Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 10:28 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,136,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
But your average BMW driver's ego and fat arse automatically add 400 lbs to their car's curb weight. And please dont talk about the Ford's looks... BMW has kicked out some of the WORST designs in recent years. Now that Bangle is gone, there might be some hope for the company's designs. I hope.
Excluding its Ford of Europe models, Ford has had very few attractive designs over the past few decades (although I like the Mustang and GT40). The only really controversial BMW designs were the Z4 (which I liked) and the Bangle butt 7 series which has since been revised. The 5 series and 3 series have looked better after every iteration and even the "ugly" cars are better looking than almost anything Ford has been able to put out. I don't own a BMW and never plan to own one used out of warranty (wouldn't call them the most reliable things) but I can appreciate a well designed body, drive train and suspension.

Last edited by iTsLiKeAnEgG; 06-23-2009 at 10:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 01:10 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,511,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosinante View Post
It's American made and that's enough for me to put it on top of the list. I prefer to support my neighbors, not some Oriental or European family.
I'll give a big 3 maker credit...the SHO is slapped together in Chicago.

It does beat having junk like the Chevy Equinox having a Shanghai, China-built 3400 v6 engine under the hood...much less the Japanese transmission.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:45 PM

2,224 posts, read 3,617,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
The Genesis sedan is built to a higher quality standard than the SHO. It has a better looking exterior, damn near best in class interior and comes very well equipped. The Genesis coupe, which I didn't like in photos is actually a great looking car in person. I saw a white one for the first time in person several weeks ago and it looks quite a bit beefier and more aggressive than the pictures ever show. I'm not even sure why you mentioned the Genesis coupe when we're considering sedans here, it should be fairly obvious that I am referring to the Genesis sedan.
Styling is a mtter of opinion and cannot be used as a basis to legitemitly undermine another vehicle. I think the Gensis Sedan is disgusting looking with its waffle iron front grill, but does that make me shoot it down all togther? NO. Its a very capable car that has lots of upside. I find the SHO to be very sharp looking. That said I dont think the cars are worth comparing. The Taurus and the Genesis are not the same type of car. The Genesis is a "higher end car" which could be more acuratley compared to something in the Lincoln segment.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedaddicted View Post
Styling is a mtter of opinion and cannot be used as a basis to legitemitly undermine another vehicle. I think the Gensis Sedan is disgusting looking with its waffle iron front grill, but does that make me shoot it down all togther? NO. Its a very capable car that has lots of upside. I find the SHO to be very sharp looking. That said I dont think the cars are worth comparing. The Taurus and the Genesis are not the same type of car. The Genesis is a "higher end car" which could be more acuratley compared to something in the Lincoln segment.
The segmentation argument flies right out of the window when you take pricing into account. Although the Genesis is certainly up there in the higher end, for its price there is no reason to get the Ford other than brand loyalty. I'm not saying the SHO is a bad car, in fact its actually pretty good but I feel that there are better options out there at it's price point. Everyone's opinion can vary, but if I was looking for a powerful V8 luxury sedan I'd go with the Genesis 4.6 or if I wanted a quick sports sedan I'd go with the Infiniti G37 Sedan which is a great drivers car. The SHO falls in the middle and doesn't seem to excel at either of these things. I'm sure some people prefer the look of the Taurus over competing products at which point this purchase may make sense.

Last edited by iTsLiKeAnEgG; 06-23-2009 at 02:10 PM..

Old 06-23-2009, 05:00 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,727,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
If I remember correctly, they also compared the Lincoln LS to a BMW. That one didn't turn out so well.
But also take note that import aficionados, particularly BMWers, are often silenced by the word "Cadillac"... one that didn't turn out so well for THEM.

Old 06-23-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
The segmentation argument flies right out of the window when you take pricing into account. Although the Genesis is certainly up there in the higher end, for its price there is no reason to get the Ford other than brand loyalty. I'm not saying the SHO is a bad car, in fact its actually pretty good but I feel that there are better options out there at it's price point. Everyone's opinion can vary, but if I was looking for a powerful V8 luxury sedan I'd go with the Genesis 4.6 or if I wanted a quick sports sedan I'd go with the Infiniti G37 Sedan which is a great drivers car. The SHO falls in the middle and doesn't seem to excel at either of these things. I'm sure some people prefer the look of the Taurus over competing products at which point this purchase may make sense.
I beg to differ. Price shouldnt be the main factor as you can find an under or over priced car in any segment. Example are we saying the because the Genesis coupe cost less than the G37 coupe or the 1 series BMW its a better buy? HARDLY. I actually love the new Genesis coupe mind you, as the powerplant can be tweaked to be a monster.

My point is that you if you want to compare cars that are similar in price but not in the same class you run the risk of skewed results as you are comparing apples and oranges.

Old 06-23-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
But also take note that import aficionados, particularly BMWers, are often silenced by the word "Cadillac"... one that didn't turn out so well for THEM.
Unless it's a 2009+ CTS-V the word "Cadillac" doesn't stir much emotion.

Old 06-23-2009, 05:21 PM

That CTS-V is an impressive car. I saw one run a 5 series at Roebling Roads in Savannah and it was awesome to see.

Old 06-23-2009, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedaddicted View Post
I beg to differ. Price shouldnt be the main factor as you can find an under or over priced car in any segment. Example are we saying the because the Genesis coupe cost less than the G37 coupe or the 1 series BMW its a better buy? HARDLY. I actually love the new Genesis coupe mind you, as the powerplant can be tweaked to be a monster.

My point is that you if you want to compare cars that are similar in price but not in the same class you run the risk of skewed results as you are comparing apples and oranges.
The Genesis coupe is less expensive than the G37 and 1 series but is not as quick, more luxurious, etc. It is still a good buy though.

The Genesis sedan on the other hand offers more luxury, more power and more features than the SHO at the same price point or lower. In this comparison the only reason you would choose the SHO are brand loyalty, styling preference, etc.

Old 06-23-2009, 05:24 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,727,407 times
Quote:
Unless it's a 2009+ CTS-V the word "Cadillac" doesn't stir much emotion.
I think I caught wikipedia lying again:

Nürburgring lap times - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive