Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 03:52 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,416,255 times

Advertisements

I seem to be having a strange transmisson problem.

Say I am in a parking lot, and I accelerate a bit, then let off the gas, I can feel my trans shift down really hard, it's only at low speeds, and it's pretty rough of a shift.

The trans fluid is fine, a little dirty, but smells alright.

Any ideas?

99 Nissan Senta Automatic 1.6l
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 06:57 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,823,601 times
Call a transmission place and see if they have any idea's.

Old 06-20-2009, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
I did, but they said I need to bring it in. I can't afford that for a few weeks.

Old 06-20-2009, 07:04 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,823,601 times
You might consider downshifting a gear, manually to cruise through parking lot's. Then put it in high or drive for highway driving. Is it a 3 or 4 speed auto tranny? If your in high or drive (more like an over drive for highway driving) it may be too high of gear for such a low speed. Try 3rd gear until you hit the highway.
If your tranny fluid is dirty...get it changed as soon as you can. Might need a tranny filter change as well.

Old 06-20-2009, 07:11 AM

Quote:
You might consider downshifting a gear, manually to cruise through parking lot's. Then put it in high or drive for highway driving. Is it a 3 or 4 speed auto tranny? If your in high or drive (more like an over drive for highway driving) it may be too high of gear for such a low speed. Try 3rd gear until you hit the highway.
If your tranny fluid is dirty...get it changed as soon as you can. Might need a tranny filter change as well.
I was told not to flush the tranny after you hit 100k miles?

I have a 4spd with overdrive.

Old 06-20-2009, 08:09 AM

139 posts, read 1,024,909 times
the no flush is right,but you can change the fluid and filter.

Old 06-20-2009, 08:40 AM

Can I do the fluid change myself?

Old 06-20-2009, 09:21 AM

139 posts, read 1,024,909 times
depends on if you have the tools.and a place to do it. first find out how much fluid the car holds with out draining the tourqe convertor,then go to the parts store and get the correct fluid and filter for you're car.

you will need a floor jack,jack stands,to get the car up and safely support it while you're under it.some tranny pans have drain plugs,and some do not. if it has one get a drain pan,to catch the fluid in,usually a large one.put it under the tranny and loosen the plug ,take it out and drain the fluid,then take off the pan,and remove the filter.if it has no drain plug,loosen all of the bolts on the pan,then remove a few in a corner of the pan, to let it tilt,to let the fluid start draning out.

then clean the pan and tranny of any old gasket material,install the new filter.some are held in by screws and some just push in.install the new gasket and put the pan back on.fill the tranny back up with the right fluid and the right amount.lower the car back to the ground,start it up and let it warm up.check for the proper fluid level,and for any leaks.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:21 AM

3,533 posts, read 12,304,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
I seem to be having a strange transmisson problem.

Say I am in a parking lot, and I accelerate a bit, then let off the gas, I can feel my trans shift down really hard, it's only at low speeds, and it's pretty rough of a shift.

The trans fluid is fine, a little dirty, but smells alright.

Any ideas?

99 Nissan Senta Automatic 1.6l

Sounds to me like you have a bigger problem than dirty fluid. before you waste money changing the fluid have a trany shop look at it to determin what's wrong and go from there.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:57 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,716,443 times
Quote:
A good suggestion only if you can find a REAL one. Transmission "shops" these days are, more often than not, merely brokerage firms for junkyards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive