Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 09:49 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
Oh my yes, heaven forbid we just teach the youngster the limitations and capabilities of a specific vehicle!

I am so tired of the safety disclaimers and redesigns to stave of litigation!

Lets just take all the fun out of motoring and drive around in slow foam bubbles so that no one ever gets hurt.

The original Mini Cooper was one of the most fun cars I ever drove, and safety regs killed it in the US after '67. It got great mileage, had huge room for such a small car and was and absolute hoot!

"Life without risk is dull"
Rollover accidents have the highest risk of death. The data is very clear. So any buyer can choose how important this is to them. The good news is that information is available on this risk.

I never said not to offer these vehicles. And you are simply ignorant if you don't think there aren't fun cars to drive. We are perhaps in the best time in history for fun to drive cars. More fast cars that are sub 5 secs in 0-60, corner at .9 G, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 10:34 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
This is a ridiculous statement. I didn't say ban these vehicles. Do you have a teenage driver in your family?

Do you think they will drive perfectly even if taught perfectly? You are nuts.

As a parent - you can choose whether to buy a vehicle for your kid that has more or less risk.
Plenty of teen drivers in the family, and none of them are coddled like they are 5 anymore. Best way to make sure a kid drives smart is to make them pay for the car and more importantly their own insurance. They will quickly learn how expensive stupidity and mistakes can be.

Buying kids cars is the best way to make sure they wont care about anything, so yeah, I guess a person in your position should get your kids one of those foam bubbles haha.

Old 07-02-2009, 01:08 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
Plenty of teen drivers in the family, and none of them are coddled like they are 5 anymore. Best way to make sure a kid drives smart is to make them pay for the car and more importantly their own insurance. They will quickly learn how expensive stupidity and mistakes can be.

Buying kids cars is the best way to make sure they wont care about anything, so yeah, I guess a person in your position should get your kids one of those foam bubbles haha.
True that. Giving a kid a big very "crash safe" vehicle tends to encourage them to drive poorly and take chances, they don't appreciate the vehicle since it was given to them. You are sending the message that you will bail their little butt out regardless of how stupidly they act.

I see this all the time around here.

Making the kid pay for the car, pay for the insurance, and pay for *everything* associated with running it makes them responsible.

We have got a bit off topic though...

Old 07-02-2009, 08:26 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,511,090 times
I've always thought the Lumina APV/van resembled an enormous dustbuster.

Old 10-09-2010, 03:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,798 times
Default ey guys check this van

is an aroedgehttp://i450.photobucket.com/albums/q...gecargovan.jpg

Old 10-09-2010, 03:38 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trompomix View Post
is an aroedge
Where can I preorder???

Old 10-12-2010, 08:45 AM

809 posts, read 2,316,336 times
Luminas have an ok ride. They are not pillowy soft or glass smooth like let's say a Chrysler van. I knew a family who owned a Lumina that they drove all over the US with never a problem. They were not into hauling anything except their own family and the Lumina did its job remarkably well.

Last edited by gymbuff; 10-12-2010 at 09:37 AM..

Old 10-12-2010, 09:59 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Even though this thread is old I'm surprised no one mentioned why any father would want to buy a "shaggin' wagon" for his daughters to drive around. Chances are they're going to do it in the car anyway, but why make it so easy and comfortable?

Old 10-14-2010, 03:17 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Even though this thread is old I'm surprised no one mentioned why any father would want to buy a "shaggin' wagon" for his daughters to drive around. Chances are they're going to do it in the car anyway, but why make it so easy and comfortable?
Every time I've dropped a girl off at her place and we end up sitting out front and "having a moment" in my S2000, I wonder to myself why it is that I didn't buy a van, or at least an El Camino, with its nice, long bench seat...

Old 10-14-2010, 03:30 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,319,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Every time I've dropped a girl off at her place and we end up sitting out front and "having a moment" in my S2000, I wonder to myself why it is that I didn't buy a van, or at least an El Camino, with its nice, long bench seat...
LOL thats why pony/muscle cars come with back seat's cause what else are they good for but helping a 3rd friend get around in a pinch or taking a girl to make out point

the rest of the time the back seats on a mustang & camaro are useless decorations unless you don't like you friends very much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive