Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 09:33 PM

5,987 posts, read 11,674,449 times

Advertisements

I had been in the auto repair business for over 40 years before I retired. I feel like my experience should be worth something. Hyundais, when they first came to the US, were junk. But then so were the early Hondas, Toyotas, Datsun (Nisans), Mazdas Subarus and Volvo's. I won't get into Fiat, MG, Triumph. They are now all fine cars, well I don't know about Fiat. The point is Hyundai has improved. Check out what JD Powers thinks about their initial quality. I have now owned 2 and have had a minor problem with my 2006 Sonata. Dealer gave me a Sonata to drive while they had mine in the shop to repair it. They did the same thing when original repair didn't work. Turns out my tiny, 85lb, wife isn't heavy enough to activate the passenger side air bag and there was really no problem. I have nothing but nice things to say about Hyundai. If you like the way it drives buy it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 02:16 AM

143 posts, read 762,450 times
Go with the Hyundai. Santa Fe is a great car. lol at poster who won't give Hyundai a chance for another 5-10 years. Well it's a good thing Hyundai/Kia are the only ones with the 5-year bumper/10-year powertrain warranty, then.

You're right about Subarus being in a different class than Hyundai. Hyundai is consistently at the top of the charts in all recent initial quality and reliability rankings whereas Subaru is middle of the pack.

http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/news/releases/charts/2009108a.gif (broken link)

Old 07-07-2009, 03:55 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,090,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
If Hyundai has turned around that is great news. Unfortunately we won't know what their long term reliability is for another 5-10 years on the newer cars. Subarus are in a different class than Hyundais though, I don't think it's fair to compare the two.
Yeah, Hyundai is in another league compared to Subaru. I'm just gushing over the Genesis sedan and cant wait to pick one up used.

Old 07-07-2009, 04:56 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,909,084 times
Hyundai's are much more reliable than Hondas, Toyotas and Subarus.

Old 07-07-2009, 05:05 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,717,984 times
I would never own either but if I had to pick it would be the Subaru.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:19 AM

366 posts, read 1,374,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
Hyundai's are much more reliable than Hondas, Toyotas and Subarus.

Subaru,Honda,Toyota>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>hyundai

Stop smoking crack and posting at the same time.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:47 AM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times
As I sit here I'm looking at the red 2010 Subaru Forester my wife bought yesterday. She did tons of research, narrowed it down to a Ford Escape or the Subaru and went out buying yesterday. Going through remorse (not much) for not buying American but it had what she wanted (a damn moonroof was #1) and is now trying to figure out where to go in it today. The Ford came in second because of price and the equipment wasn't what she wanted (had the damn moonroof, though). The Subaru does seem to be a good value: ABS, side airbags, stability control, 10 way seat (short wife). The comparable Ford was a couple thousand more w/o AWD. One neat thing is an electric element under the wipers. Short wife just reminded me about the heated side mirrors. Says she can do without the heated seats, though, and that I should know why.
Also, the Subaru is not as tall as the Ford and she was concerned about being able to clear snow off the roof and also the step up was just high enough to bother her, she has to lift herself into my F-150.

Last edited by North Beach Person; 07-08-2009 at 10:09 AM..

Old 07-08-2009, 12:29 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,090,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew303 View Post

Subaru,Honda,Toyota>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>hyundai

Stop smoking crack and posting at the same time.
He may not be wrong. I wouldn't say much more reliable but definitely no worse.

Old 07-08-2009, 02:00 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
I loved my Subaru. Bought it in Oradell, NJ, and found that several New Yorkers dealt with them. I got all my regular maintenance done there, including oil changes.
For me, the quality of the mechanics and the way the service people treat customers is important. I am a female and don't like to feel taken, which I did at VW and Toyota service when I had those cars. Subaru did not seem to overcharge, did what they said they would do in the time they promised, gave me a loaner and gave my car back to me just as clean (with no new scratches) as I gave it to them.
It just boils down to - I trust Subaru. I've some friends who are up to the hundreds of thos of miles on theirs.
Never looked into Hundai, but just giving my experience with my Forrester.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:29 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
I've seen many SUVs get stuck in the snow or lose traction even in the rain because there is no substitute for symmetrical AWD in a Subaru other than Audi's Quattro. Every other 4WD and AWD system used are crap for slippery stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive