Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 01:31 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,704,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Continental View Post
They already do have that right. Also I wonder if SNL will have those cartoon people driving a Camaro now.
Not in 37 states! And I wouldn't be surprised if SNL makes fun of the (stereotypical) gays driving the Camaro's; afterall they are the politically correct minority to make fun of, and do it consistantly. Hmm...isn't it funny though, how SNL is run be Jews, but they never poke any fun at them...???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 01:42 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,704,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd69 View Post
I'm sure the 304 Hp 6 cylinder will be a better choice as well instead of the 420 hp 8 cylinder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd69 View Post
Too much car! Hard to handle.
I understand this as, the 304 hp should be more than enough for this car, and that 420 hp might make the car a bit skittish. I agree there is a such thing as "too much" of a good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epitathpunk View Post
No it's not. I drove a new SS with paddle shifters, and it felt like a Cadillac. Barely threw me back in my seat, and I almost hit the rev limiter through the first four gears. I thought it was a very tame ride.

I really think they overrate a lot of the new vehicles in terms of true horsepower. First of all, it's measured at the crank, which means really nothing. You lose a lot of that from the crank to the pavement. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if they've changed the measurement that constitutes "one horsepower" over the years. Case in point: I had a 2006 Ram srt-10 that reportedly had 500 horsepower at the crank. It didn't feel like it, and a kid with a stock 1999 ford lightning (over 100k miles, beat to death) absolutely smoked me at the track. My times were in the mid 13's and he was in the high 12's. Granted, I had trouble hooking up but still....

Now, my dad and I share a 1993 Mercedes SL500 convertible. That car is heavy, and is rated at 350 hp. It's a puppy dog until you mash on it, then it takes off like a rocket.

Personally I think American car companies are way more liberal with horsepower than what most people think. I bet my SRT only put 350 to the ground tops.
You might remember, those big cars of the mid-to-late 70's did not have very high hp ratings, and seemed to move about with ease. Remember the big Lincolns and Cadillacs? Those big engines usually delivered no more than 200 hp, for a car sometimes weighing close to 6000 lbs.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:43 AM

118 posts, read 282,368 times
I was born in 1978. So I don't remember a damn thing from that decade, thank God.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:05 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,950,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
This could be a mistake. The Pontiac G6 wasn't a bad car and looked pretty good as a coupe but it was forever known as the Oprah car.
I wonder what they're thinking. Maybe I'm missing something, but this is a car that will probably appeal more to men than women. And giving it the 'gay' label can only deter male buyers who don't want to be associated with that (and they are the large majority).

Maybe this is why GM needed to be bailed out.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:27 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979 View Post
You might remember, those big cars of the mid-to-late 70's did not have very high hp ratings, and seemed to move about with ease. Remember the big Lincolns and Cadillacs? Those big engines usually delivered no more than 200 hp, for a car sometimes weighing close to 6000 lbs.
They made pretty good low-end torque which is why they could accelerate adequately. For instance the 500-cu-in engine in my '76 Cadillac is rated at (net) 360 lbs-ft torque.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:16 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,477,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egobop View Post

As far as the new Camaro goes; I believe it is very cheap looking. I believe they rushed it together since Ford came out with a nice looking retro Mustang and Chrysler came out with the unbelievably cool looking Challenger. The Camaro looks like garbage next to both of those. It is really a shame when you think back to how cool a 1969 Camaro looked.
My thoughts exactly! I love the 67, 68 and 69 Camaro, I like the 70's Camaro. I even like the 80's Camaro. In 2001 (ithink it was) they gave the Camaro a Chrysler front end and then hung it up. Now they come back with this horrible looking piece. The Camaro has spiraled down to the laughter ground where anytime we see a new one we just laugh. Sure it may be "fast" but man is it ugly and poorly finished. Challenger and Mustang have well laid style that will stand the test of time. In 10 years the new Camaro will look....dated.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:57 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
1. I was a teenage in the 80's and always thought Comaro's were ugly, rusted out pieces of crap given to guys to drive as terms of their probation. lol.

2. The new Comaro's are frankly....awesome. I love the looks, style etc. great great cars.

3. I didn't think the comment about 420hp being too much was directed at Gays but rather it would be too much HP for the rest of the car to keep up with. Then again, I'm not a big fan of straight-line quarter mile type cars. This same comment applies to all of the after-market Mustangs, Comaro's etc. out there supercharged to >500HP. Granted for collectibility, cool factor etc. there are lots of reasons people buy a car.

Old 12-18-2009, 09:00 AM

136 posts, read 424,084 times
Seems to me that they are hurting sales with this as I for one would not want to have a vehicle discribe my sexual preferance just by owning it.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:27 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,780,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
In 2001 (ithink it was) they gave the Camaro a Chrysler front end and then hung it up.
It was 1998 when the Camaro went to the composite headlamps you speak of....a little better looking than the older hadlamps IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
1. I was a teenage in the 80's and always thought Comaro's were ugly, rusted out pieces of crap given to guys to drive as terms of their probation. lol.
LOL you must be thinking this about the 1975 on up Camaros. Since they seem to be associated with trailer parks and guys that wear mullets in Def Leppard wife beaters.

Clearly a 1967, '68 or '69 Camaro looks NOTHING like something Joe the parolee would drive. Even the '70-'73 models looked nice.

Old 12-18-2009, 01:43 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,213,098 times
The new Camaro is the reason that GM is sinking below the waves. It's not that it isn't a decent vehicle, but they spent an enormous amount of resources to design and build out a production plant to build the thing, and its not much more than a niche car. It's these kinds of brain dead decisions that killed them.

It's built, BTW in Canada on an Australian platform which is funny given how much they drape it in the American flag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive