Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2009, 11:41 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,692,009 times

Advertisements

In addition to the recent clutch release bearing issue on my 91 S-10 4X4, I've also learned sometimes pushing in thew clutch to shift I get a 'clunk' sound from underneath and sometimes when i release the clutch I get the same noise. It seems to be more common in 2nd and 4th gear letting the clutch out but I think I've also heard it happen in 3rd. It only happens in 1st if I let off the gas pedal then push in the clutch.

I've read this is attributed to U joints, but I tried grabbing the yokes with one hand and turning the drive shaft with the other but they don't move against each other. I also tried the same thing on the front drive shaft which of course spins freely until 4WD. My drive shaft is a 1 piece.

What/where else should I check? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 12:59 PM

17,113 posts, read 56,725,836 times
Sometimes noisy U-joints are not loose enough to feel it with your hands. Try this: Drive awhile, then park where you can get under the truck, secure it so it won't roll for sure, then just feel of the u-joints with your hand, they should be cool to barely warm. A bad u-joint will generally be pretty warm, warmer than the rest of them.

Did you put in new transmission mounts with the transola work?

Check that all the mounting bolts are good and snug.

This kind of noise can be a PITA to track down.

Old 07-09-2009, 01:06 PM

I didn't do the work, I'll ask my mechanic.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:36 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,220,094 times
Throughout bearing?

Old 07-10-2009, 12:20 AM

Per the tech that did the work, the clutch disc, pressure plate, throw out bearing and pilot bearing were all replaced.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:00 PM

17,113 posts, read 56,725,836 times
When you have some time, try to figure out what excatly you can do that causes the clunk. Try working the clutch with the engine off. It can be very useful to have someone else work the clutch while you watch the linkage, make sure everything that needs to be moving is moving without interfering with anything, make sure stuff that should not be moving is staying still.

You might try (use common sense and stay safe if you decide to to this!) laying on the garage floor under the truck while a friend pushes the truck back and forth a little, with the engine off and the truck in gear, e-brake off...

At the end of the day, this is a GM truck, and a certain amount of clunking and rattling is normal. Without hearing it I can't offer an opinion on if what you are hearing is normal or not.

Old 07-11-2009, 01:36 AM

The clunking usually happens when pushing in the clutch or letting out the clutch.

For instance, I can be sitting still, trans in 1, let slowly off the clutch...a little rattle....push in clutch *clunk*...shift...let off...*clunk*....

There's no certain gear it does it in....it can do it in 2,3 or 4....and it can be letting off or pushing in....it's not consistent each time.

I've owned a few GM trucks, never had one with a gear box/clutch that sounded like this. I did learn that idling in neutral when cold there's not much noise but idling in neutral when warmed up sounds like rocks thrown around inside the bell housing/gear box.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive