Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 11:21 PM

1,469 posts, read 4,494,852 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't let Firestone put air in my bicycle tires, they are some of the biggest rip offs I've ever had dealings with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 11:59 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,422,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim280 View Post
I wouldn't let Firestone put air in my bicycle tires, they are some of the biggest rip offs I've ever had dealings with.
LMAO . These chains are alive and thriving because too many people know too little about cars and maintenance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Of course.

But one clue is that the OP said he took it to "Firestone Complete Auto Care". Those chain joints like that are notorious for ripping people off. It's no different with - for instance - Brake Masters. They offer a cheap deal on oil changes, but when people come in for the oil change a "mechanic" always tells them what horrible condition their car is in, and scares them into agreeing to hundreds (sometimes thousands) of dollars of repairs.
Amen. Great posts.

Old 07-12-2009, 03:53 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
I thnik maybe thewir is more to it than replacing the brake cylinders and shoes. My guess is there are new drums involved because they are too thin. I don't like firestone but they do have a set price and its usually pretty much inline with others from what I have seen.

Old 07-12-2009, 05:12 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,171,871 times
IF it's drums, they could possibly be quoting more than just what the OP is saying.

Parts:

Shoes
Cylinders
Springs/hardware
Drums (maybe. obviously most would just need a resurfacing)

If it was all of that plus labor, I could see that price being right.

I would second the recommendation of getting a second opinion on the car.

Mike

Old 07-12-2009, 08:38 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,871,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
My 2001 Dodge Neon failed its safety inspection. I took it in to firestone complete auto care, and they want $415 to replace both rear brake cylinders and the pads. Is that a reasonable price?

I need the work done asap, and they are one of the few places in the area open Sundays. Thus, I don't necessarily want to wait until Monday to get competing bids, if that price seems reasonable. Seems a little steep to me, but I don't know how much to expect.
Just to clear up any misunderstanding, could you post a copy of the written estimate? Block out any personal info and the shop name for obvious reasons. Thanks

Old 07-12-2009, 09:17 AM

1,821 posts, read 7,731,272 times
I don't have the written estimate because the shop was closed when I went to pick up the car last night, but I just called them. Here is exactly what they said needs done:

Flush brake fluid
Clean Brakes
Replace both rear cylinders.

Old 07-12-2009, 09:23 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,925,882 times
Some times a rubber boot (cover) on a wheel cyl will be moist and still not leak per se to cause any wetness on the brake shoes. Obvious leakage will be shown on the inside rim and tire as stated above. Resevoir will be also be low which is a sign of leaking fluid somewhere. (tell tale eign)

Rear brakes in general are brake shoes and drums...not that expensive like rotors etc.

Those chain operations are out for the money like one that told my friend he needed to have the trans fluid and screen changed when in reality it was a 4 sp standard trans and not an automatic. I was there to correct the techniction????? on his mistake otherwise my friend who is sometimes gullable would have agreed to the work.

I would go to an Independent garage and have them recheck the work needed.

Steve

Old 07-13-2009, 02:17 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,731,272 times
I just took it in to a second place that was recommended. The place wants $50 for the adjustment and inspection and said it should be good after that. I specifically asked about the cylinders and they said they looked ok. So Firestone wants $415, this place wants $50. Thanks for the advice in this forum. Firestone is a ripoff.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:04 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,064,697 times
One note, not too many people understand the importance of changing brake fluid about once every 2 years, possibly more often in humid climates - this both improves the brake's ability to perform at high temperature, and prevents corrosion/deterioration of rubber parts, if not now, go on back to your honest local indy shop and get them to do this, you will be glad you did.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:54 AM

1 posts, read 1,860 times
You're all nuts, anybody ever do this job hands on? First off there are so many potentials... Brake line chance of breaking, cylinder bolts rusted an d can't be removed with a. Standard 10mm wrench... Leading to either torching them off or somehow figuring out a way to ge a grinder etc in there... You're all nuts this is no cut n dry job!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive