Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 10:14 AM

621 posts, read 1,053,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygirlonthemove View Post
I know nothing about tires but Kumho and Michelin were recommended by the tire store. I know Michelin is pretty popular but the guy at the store suggested Kumho as a good product at a lower price.

Anyone know anything about the Kumho product line?
I've used Kumho on my 525i BMW almost exclusively. I am very comfortable with the tire, especially in water covered roads.

Since I don't drive the 525 in the winter, I can't speak for how it handles on snow and ice, but for a good warm weather tire, they are my first choice.

I don't normally purchase Michelins and I believe the last set I had was too long ago to make any comparison between the two brands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 12:21 AM

415 posts, read 1,778,690 times
+1. Michelins FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevej64 View Post
I have driven over 1 million miles tried most tire brands I always come back to Michelin tires

Old 02-14-2010, 06:34 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,129,944 times
Kumhos are very good, and so are Hankooks. I REALLY like Falken tires.

The Falkens I recently put on my Corolla handle VERY well. I won't waste my money on Michelins again. A good set of Hankooks, Kumhos, or Falkens are half of Michelin prices. Hankook and Kumhos are Korean, and Falkens are Japanese.

Old 02-14-2010, 10:49 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,215,941 times
I have Kumhos on my truck (came with them). They are typical of chinese garbage and I won't ever consider them in the future. I prefer a quality Japanese or American tire.

While Michelin makes an excellent tire their products are overpriced. I would be more concerned on what is a good, safe, reliable tire. Quite often cheap tires do not last long or easily damage thus costing you more money. If you spend a little more up front on something that will LAST, then the savings kick in.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:48 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,416,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
Kumhos are very good, and so are Hankooks. I REALLY like Falken tires.

The Falkens I recently put on my Corolla handle VERY well. I won't waste my money on Michelins again. A good set of Hankooks, Kumhos, or Falkens are half of Michelin prices. Hankook and Kumhos are Korean, and Falkens are Japanese.

I had Falkens on my 350Z. They were good tires, but wore out far too quickly, even for sports car tires.

Old 02-15-2010, 01:23 PM

415 posts, read 1,778,690 times
You can get a set of four X Radials at Costco for about $540 dollars. These will last you 80K miles, and give you superior handling and comfort by just about any standard. You could pay half that but you'd get a tire that lasted a third as long and "offered" poor, unsafe handling from day one. The choice is yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
I have Kumhos on my truck (came with them). They are typical of chinese garbage and I won't ever consider them in the future. I prefer a quality Japanese or American tire.

While Michelin makes an excellent tire their products are overpriced. I would be more concerned on what is a good, safe, reliable tire. Quite often cheap tires do not last long or easily damage thus costing you more money. If you spend a little more up front on something that will LAST, then the savings kick in.

Old 02-15-2010, 01:54 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,866,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy1 View Post
You can get a set of four X Radials at Costco for about $540 dollars. These will last you 80K miles, and give you superior handling and comfort by just about any standard. You could pay half that but you'd get a tire that lasted a third as long and "offered" poor, unsafe handling from day one. The choice is yours.
Just bought a set of four Michelin X at Sam's Jan. 2nd for $465.40 mounted and balanced with free flat repair and rotation. More than happy with them.

Old 10-14-2010, 01:10 PM

1 posts, read 4,784 times
what are the best tires for 2009 Lexus ES 350

Old 10-14-2010, 02:08 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post

So which is it? The Michelins are overpriced, but cheap tires don't last as long, but you should spend more for better tires, but............

One gets what one pays for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy1 View Post
Lifespan, comfort, and superior handling. You can't have all three together in one tire. It's not possible, due to the tread compound required for superior handling being much softer than that required to achieve 80K miles.

The reality is that everyone has their own opinions. The problem is that most people aren't qualified to make useful judgements on what tire is or isn't good. I've read hundreds of opinions while shopping for my own tires. SO many of them are some version of "I put these ultra high performance summer tires on my 5000# SUV and they're terrible. They only lasted 40K miles" or "I only paid $200 for my 'brand x" tires and they're awesome. They handle so much better than the $160 set I last had on my '71 rusted out 400K mile old F100 pickup". You also seldom hear about things like 80k mile tires riding and handling poorly for the last 25% of their life (but hey, they made it to 80k), or UHP tires becoming very noisy halfway through their life, or any number of other qualifying factors besides "they're good".

Overall, Michelins have been the best combo of whatever the expected parameters are for the appropriate tire. My Pilots lasted nearly 35K, and were still grippy when I replaced them. I went through two sets of MXV4s on my Mark VIII, and they were extremely quiet and handled very well on the 4000# car. I drive my tires hard, so I never expect to get the rated mileage out of them.

Tires are arguably the most important money you can spend on a car. They have the largest effect on handling, which while most often associated with spirited driving, can be the difference between hitting the guardrail or having control of the vehicle in an emergency. There's only a few precious square inches of rubber on the road, so I'd much rather maximize (within reason) the performance of my tires. I'm not saying you should put 20k ultra high perf tires on a small suv, like OPs CRV, but I'd find common ground between longevity and performance. That's just my opinion.

Old 10-14-2010, 03:08 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,370,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
I had Falkens on my 350Z. They were good tires, but wore out far too quickly, even for sports car tires.
Agree. Falkens on a Toyota Camry. Great at first, but screaming now, and at less than the supposed mileage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive