U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 04:40 PM

71 posts, read 226,439 times

Advertisements

If you have a light RWD car, no matter what tires you have on it, you're not going to have the traction/control of a FWD car. I drive a sports car year round and I have to telecommute when it snows.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 04:45 PM

131 posts, read 389,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_86 View Post
If you have a light RWD car, no matter what tires you have on it, you're not going to have the traction/control of a FWD car. I drive a sports car year round and I have to telecommute when it snows.
I never thought about this. I am self-employed, so it's not a huge deal when it snows. I wouldn't want to drive more than 1 mile though in snowy conditions though, even in my current car which is only a slight bit heavier than my old RX-8, but has a lot more power and torque...

Thankfully I'm moving to an area where there will be no snow...

Old 07-16-2009, 04:49 PM

11,031 posts, read 26,154,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_86 View Post
agreed I said screw it and bought this for winter driving

Old 07-16-2009, 04:50 PM

5,996 posts, read 16,853,742 times
The key issue aren't the drive wheels but the type of tires you have. If you're driving through snow on summer tires you deserve to get stuck. A RWD car is just fine with a set of nice snow tires (like Blizzak's). I agree that an AWD vehicle will be better able to handle really horrid conditions but a set of Blizzak's has no trouble with a RWD vehicle and several inches of snow.

Old 07-16-2009, 04:52 PM

5,007 posts, read 14,320,293 times
I think the key issue is his age. He doesn't have tons of experience driving and I would go with an AWD for a few years until he gets some experience.

Old 07-16-2009, 04:56 PM

5,996 posts, read 16,853,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
I think the key issue is his age. He doesn't have tons of experience driving and I would go with an AWD for a few years until he gets some experience.
That's probably a good idea, point taken. I still stress the importance of proper snow tires because AWD cars will still get stuck. I know a guy who got an AWD G35 Sedan out of California and it had summer tires because it never snows here. He took it back to his home state and couldn't make it up a slight grade without changing tires.

Old 07-16-2009, 04:57 PM

11,031 posts, read 26,154,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
I thought his grandfather was the one looking at the G8 and giving him his camry.

Old 07-16-2009, 04:58 PM

5,007 posts, read 14,320,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
I though his grandfather was the one looking at the G8 and giving him his camry.

But he gets to drive the Camry replacement.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:03 PM

10,918 posts, read 29,075,851 times
A G8 should be just fine in the winter with proper tires, as it's a heavy sedan. It's not a lightweight sports car, that really has no business on a snowy/icy road, anyway.

I am certain that your grandfather has experience with RWD in snow/ice, and he can teach you the dynamics of RWD handling, though it's well assisted with traction control and ABS in the modern RWD. The key, however, is a good set of snow tires in snow country as others have said, and in Chicago, you need them.

We're not talking RWD in the sense of a 1986 Cadillac Fleetwood, so I think it could work out, even if you had to drive the G8 in the winter. And, I see people I know who try to drive RWD BMWs without the proper tires and are appalled when the vehicle does not handle as well. But I guess most people don't think about such things, or have not been raised in snow country.

I think it's great that you're thinking about such things at your age, since so many teen drivers just want to go fast and don't care about the driving dynamics in inclement weather, even if the vehicle is not a primary vehicle to them.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:10 PM

1,634 posts, read 3,722,758 times
Lots of good advice. I grew up north of Chicago and have lots of experience in snow, and now in snow on mountain roads. All things being equal FWD is better in the snow than RWD, and of course AWD is even better.

But, the real key is knowing the dynamics of the particular car and driving within those limits. And of course, good tires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive