Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 12:39 PM

17,622 posts, read 17,656,125 times

Advertisements

I have a neighbor who wants to replace her car. What she wants is unrealistic and we can't convince her what she wants is impossible. She wants a 2013 or 2014 SUV with less than 90,000 miles for $1,500. She doesn't want to make a car payment. She's in her late 60s/early 70s, both her and her husband are on disability. She currently drives a mid90s Mitsubishi Galant (don't know the miles) that is breaking down. I just can't believe how unrealistic her expectations are. She even wants my wife to drive her to the local Chevrolet and Ford dealerships to look for a car. My wife has said she'll tell the neighbor she's in too much pain and had taken her pain medicine preventing her from driving.

Have you ever had to deal with people who had such outrageously unrealistic car buying expectations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2017, 01:53 PM

17,303 posts, read 12,242,173 times
With a view that distorted from reality, it's likely time to start talking about taking away her license.

Old 02-04-2017, 02:01 PM

17,302 posts, read 22,030,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I have a neighbor who wants to replace her car. What she wants is unrealistic and we can't convince her what she wants is impossible. She wants a 2013 or 2014 SUV with less than 90,000 miles for $1,500. She doesn't want to make a car payment. She's in her late 60s/early 70s, both her and her husband are on disability. She currently drives a mid90s Mitsubishi Galant (don't know the miles) that is breaking down. I just can't believe how unrealistic her expectations are. She even wants my wife to drive her to the local Chevrolet and Ford dealerships to look for a car. My wife has said she'll tell the neighbor she's in too much pain and had taken her pain medicine preventing her from driving.

Have you ever had to deal with people who had such outrageously unrealistic car buying expectations?
Yep.....my mother in law!

Last car buy she was coming out of a 1996 Explorer and she is convinced she needs an SUV. She called the local Honda store and a salesman convinced her she could get a CRV for 18K (new). So we head down there despite me telling her under 20K is totally insane for a car with a 24K MSRP. Of course the salesman back pedals and said he thought she wanted a Civic. She ended up with an HHR and that was 10 years ago......HHR was what she could afford.

Champagne taste, light beer pocketbook!

Your neighbor should understand a flooded 2013-2014 SUV is worth more than $1500 at the scrap yard. I would take her there and tell her to pick out whatever one she wants!

Old 02-04-2017, 02:13 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,848,917 times
I wonder if she has early stages of Dimentia. My dad had Dimentia for his last few years and he would constantly be taken back to another time. We were living in today but he was actually living 40 years previously. Needing to go to work (retired for 20 years. Needing to meet up with friends on shore (actually believing he was still in the Navy----in the 50's) Asking how my new car was holding up (a 77 Cherokee that had died over 30 years ago). And these became regular events, even when he returned back to the present time some things from the past still stuck!

I can see someone believing they are back in the 70's at some point and can get an SUV for 1500 bucks!

Old 02-04-2017, 02:49 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,252,935 times
Quote:
No... I don't deal with goofs.
I find the best deal out there that fits their needs. What they choose to do with it is up to them.

Old 02-04-2017, 03:02 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,986,863 times
Quote:

If she is a nice neighbor and you have the time - take her to the local Chevrolet garage as she asked.
No harm in that.

Many of the Galant automobile have timing belts and are interference engines. Hope lady has changed the timing belt. Otherwise - engine is kaput.

Old 02-04-2017, 03:32 PM

17,622 posts, read 17,656,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
If she is a nice neighbor and you have the time - take her to the local Chevrolet garage as she asked.
No harm in that.

Many of the Galant automobile have timing belts and are interference engines. Hope lady has changed the timing belt. Otherwise - engine is kaput.
I can't take her. I work rotating shifts at the hospital. When I get off work I need to decompress from the stress of the work day. My wife has spinal problems and just last month had knee replacement surgery. Prolonged sitting or standing increases her pain. She has trouble telling people no and tries to help when she can. Her condition has given her an easy out to saying no. Instead of saying "I don't want to" she can say she took her pain medicine and can't drive.

Old 02-04-2017, 03:47 PM

7,515 posts, read 13,618,508 times
How about sitting down with her at a PC, and go to CarMax's website, selecting their nearest location to you. There you can show her what's available at today's prices.

https://www.carmax.com/

Old 02-04-2017, 03:48 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,569 posts, read 81,147,605 times
If you want to be helpful, go to Autotrader or Cars.com and print out a few pages of ads for the less expensive varieties of small SUV of those years and miles such as Kia Sportage, and show her that it will cost $12,000-15,000. It may be hard for someone that old that hasn't bought a car in many years to realize how much they cost now. You can also show what she can actually get for $1,500 by searching Craigslist, such as a 1992 4Runner with 220,000 miles or 1996 Jimmy with 190,000 miles.

Old 02-04-2017, 03:55 PM

2,619 posts, read 2,335,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
I wonder if she has early stages of Dimentia. My dad had Dimentia for his last few years and he would constantly be taken back to another time. We were living in today but he was actually living 40 years previously. Needing to go to work (retired for 20 years. Needing to meet up with friends on shore (actually believing he was still in the Navy----in the 50's) Asking how my new car was holding up (a 77 Cherokee that had died over 30 years ago). And these became regular events, even when he returned back to the present time some things from the past still stuck!

I can see someone believing they are back in the 70's at some point and can get an SUV for 1500 bucks!
I'd rather have Dimentia over Dementia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive