Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 01:42 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,721,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
I like BMW better than Lexus. More fun.

Maybe that's why you seem so grumpy - you sell Lexuses, but want a BMW!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 01:47 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,440,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
Maybe that's why you seem so grumpy - you sell Lexuses, but want a BMW!

I don't really want one. I just prefer them.

I'm too cheap, and naturally grumpy.

Old 07-18-2009, 01:48 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,728,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epik151 View Post
lol do you really think those German cars are steadier at 150mph than their competitors?

Man, those ads really have got you by the balls. ///M marketing lol.
Doesn't matter in Arizona, do 6 miles over and you'll be blinded by the flashing of a thousand radar cams.

Old 07-18-2009, 01:50 PM

I can say with absolute certainty that yes, BMW and M-B cars are vastly superior at excessive speeds.

Old 07-18-2009, 01:54 PM

143 posts, read 764,025 times
Quote:
I like BMW better than Lexus. More fun.

But even barring that, it's a flight of fancy to assume that Hyundai is better in any way than the top 3 luxury brands.
And which 3 are those?

Lexus, Mercedes, and BMW?

Here's a few ways Hyundai is better.

1. Price (by far)
2. Reliability
3. Resale value doesn't hold as well but you still don't lose as much money because the price is far lower to begin with. Also, resale value doesn't matter if you're not getting a new car every 2-3 years, anyway.
4. Better warranty

Now concerning the Genesis line...

5. More standard features and optional packages for less such as Proximity Key, Bluetooth, Push-button Start, Lexicon Audio system, standard full airbags, etc.
6. Styling. Think the GS and E class look as nice as the Genesis Sedan? Does Lexus/Toyota/Honda have anything as exciting as the Genesis Coupe, especially in that price range.
7. Safety
8. Acceleration, Skid pad, Braking.

So how about you give us some real reasons why those "top 3 luxury brands" are better than Hyundai?

Old 07-18-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
I can say with absolute certainty that yes, BMW and M-B cars are vastly superior at excessive speeds.
Oh, well, as long as you say it with absolute certainty

Old 07-18-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Oh, well, as long as you say it with absolute certainty

How many have you drive around a track or at speed?

Old 07-18-2009, 02:16 PM

You keep going back to price, which is a big part of buying a car.

But if that's your main concern, then a Hyundai is the car for you.

Reliability? There is only one #1, but I would be more concerned with longevity. All the Hyundai's I have have looked like crap after 3 or 4 years. They weren't abused, they just don't hold up well.

Resale value is a factor, but as you said, it varies in importance.

That fantastic warranty has a lot of loopholes you should look at. Lexus has a 72 / 70 powertrain warranty, which is all the Hyundai is. The bumper-to-bumper warranty is filled with exclusions.

Styling is subjective, all those features on standard on any even wannabe luxury cars, and even Kia's are safe these days.

Old 07-18-2009, 02:35 PM

Quote:
You keep going back to price, which is a big part of buying a car.

But if that's your main concern, then a Hyundai is the car for you.

Reliability? There is only one #1, but I would be more concerned with longevity. All the Hyundai's I have have looked like crap after 3 or 4 years. They weren't abused, they just don't hold up well.

Resale value is a factor, but as you said, it varies in importance.

That fantastic warranty has a lot of loopholes you should look at. Lexus has a 72 / 70 powertrain warranty, which is all the Hyundai is. The bumper-to-bumper warranty is filled with exclusions.

Styling is subjective, all those features on standard on any even wannabe luxury cars, and even Kia's are safe these days.
More deception on your first point. You say "if price is your main concern, buy a hyundai" as if the Hyundai isn't better all around except for status.

So if you were being direct, it's "The only reason Hyundai is not for you is if status and perception is your main concern." Because it's certainly as good if not better all around than all of it's competitors.

More deception with your reliability argument. You keep saying "there is only one #1" as if that means anything. I'm sure as a Lexus salesman, you use that line a lot to make people think that the difference between the 1st spot and 2nd is anything noticeable. Not to mention, Lexus fell behind Jaguar and Buick in the 2009 VDS. I guess "there is only one #1 except for rare cases".

Nice, more anecdotal evidence on your part to bash Hyundais. Really? All your Hyundais fall apart after 3-4 years? Well it's a good thing Hyundai has 5-year bumper to bumper. A good sign of longevity is the warranty the company stands behind it's cars with.

And you're straight up lying about the power-train warranty. 72 months is 6 years. No, Lexus does not back it's cars as long as Hyundai.

Hyundai-Kia, 5-year bumper, 10-year powertrain. The best in the business.

Oh yeah? There are lots of "exclusions" in Hyundai's warranty? Wow, care to be more specific? Are there things Hyundai won't cover that Lexus will?

That's a real scumbag thing to say to try and bash another make. You must be good at your job.

Old 07-18-2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:
More deception on your first point. You say "if price is your main concern, buy a hyundai" as if the Hyundai isn't better all around except for status.

So if you were being direct, it's "The only reason Hyundai is not for you is if status and perception is your main concern." Because it's certainly as good if not better all around than all of it's competitors.

More deception with your reliability argument. You keep saying "there is only one #1" as if that means anything. I'm sure as a Lexus salesman, you use that line a lot to make people think that the difference between the 1st spot and 2nd is anything noticeable. Not to mention, Lexus fell behind Jaguar and Buick in the 2009 VDS. I guess "there is only one #1 except for rare cases".

Nice, more anecdotal evidence on your part to bash Hyundais. Really? All your Hyundais fall apart after 3-4 years? Well it's a good thing Hyundai has 5-year bumper to bumper. A good sign of longevity is the warranty the company stands behind it's cars with.

And you're straight up lying about the power-train warranty. 72 months is 6 years. No, Lexus does not back it's cars as long as Hyundai.

Hyundai-Kia, 5-year bumper, 10-year powertrain. The best in the business.

Oh yeah? There are lots of "exclusions" in Hyundai's warranty? Wow, care to be more specific? Are there things Hyundai won't cover that Lexus will?

That's a real scumbag thing to say to try and bash another make. You must be good at your job.

OK, well -

1) If money is your main concern, then go buy a Hyundai. There is nothing deceptive about that. M-B, BMW, Lexus, they are all better cars but all cars do one thing - get you from point A to point B. Luxury cars offer intangibles that someone only concerned with money will never get.

And yes, they are all a better brand. History and experience are on their side. The only vehicle Hyundai can point to right now as generating any sort of buzz is the Genesis, which may be making a big splash in your mind and in articles, but certainly not to the buying public.

Hyundai sold only 1,838 Genesis' in June. Lexus sold almost double that in IS sales (3465) and over double that in ES sales (3918). That's for cars that are both in the same price range, if not even more expensive. Year-to-date, they have sold 9,938 Genesis', while Lexus has sold 15,681 IS's and 20,363 ES's.

The general public does not agree with your assessment that Hyundai offers a better car for the same or less money.

2) I never said the difference was drastic between #1 and #4 or #5, but the fact remains that only one can be #1, and it's Lexus. You keep saying that Hyundai has better reliability, or at least equal, but none of the factual data backs it up.

Lexus did fall behind Buick briefly, but that was due to their new factory in Canada opening for that model year. You'll notice it was quickly corrected and they are now back on top. Again. Where they have been steadily, with a minor exception or two, ever since they were eligible.

3) I don't own any Hyundai's. But everyone I have seen that is a few years old (and I have seen several as trade-ins) looks like an older car. It squeaks and rattles, and just looks generally undesirable, even when well-maintained. I obviously can't speak for every Hyundai on Earth, but I I have seen well over 100 of them in the 3-5 year old range, and they are all like that. Take that as you will.

4) I did not mean to imply that Lexus powertrain warranty is as long as Hyundai. I was saying that the 10 year warranty everyone touts is simply a powertrain warranty, not bumper-to-bumper coverage, and every manufacturer offers extended powertrain coverage. Most don't need 10/100 because they don't have the same history of reliability (or lack thereof) that Hyundai has.

5) Direct from Hyundai's site -

Quote:
10 YEAR / 100,000 MILES
POWERTRAIN PROTECTION Covers most engine & transaxle components -

Coverage applies to Original Owner only effective with 2004 Model Year and newer model year vehicles. On 1999-2003 Model Years, coverage applies to Original Owner and immediate family members (i.e. wife, husband, daughter, son, stepdaughter, stepson).
So only the first owner gets it. Interesting.

Quote:
5 YEAR / 60,000 MILES
NEW VEHICLE LIMITED WARRANTY Covers nearly every new vehicle component

ollowing components covered for time and mileage limits indicated:
- Radio And Sound Systems (i.e. radio, cassette tape drive mechanism, and compact disc player): 3 years / 36,000 miles
- Paint: 3 years/ 36,000 miles
- Battery: 3 years / unlimited miles (100% covered 2 years / unlimited miles; after 2 years and within 3 years, 25% cost of battery and 100% labor cost covered)

Quote:
Basic Warranty

The Basic Warranty coverage is for 48 months or 50,000 miles, whichever occurs first. Wheel alignment and balancing are covered for 12 months or 20,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

This warranty covers repairs and adjustments needed to correct defects in materials or workmanship of any part supplied by Lexus.
So to answer your question -

Quote:
Are there things Hyundai won't cover that Lexus will?

Yes.

Yeah, that's a real scumbag thing to say.

Now, you can sit there and keep insulting me, it really doesn't bother me. It just shows what an idiot you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive