Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 01:26 PM

532 posts, read 1,567,400 times

Advertisements

Ford F-450+

I'd agree the best car is one the kid pays for.
Perhaps of low enough quality none of her freinds will want to drive in, like an old international SUV with a snorkel, the original ford bronco in poor condition, etc. One that takes alot of effort to drive, so they can't text or talk on a phone while driving, make sure there's no power steering and make sure it's a stick. Make sure they don't drive like you, they should drive like the cops want you to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 01:40 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,263,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
...and an S-10 pickup.
<eh-hum>

Old 07-28-2009, 02:04 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by impala666 View Post
I once had a 850 T5 and it would be the last car for a kid,that is if you like the kid and you want to see them get out of high school!!
Not true at all IMO. An 850T5 is an extremely safe, well built car. I had a friend who a 1995 Volvo 850 T5 R. It was a sweet car. It was quite powerful at 240 horsepower, but not too fast to get a teenager in trouble. What is really bad is when you put a teenager in a souped up Honda CRX, which is really fast with almost no safety at all.

Old 02-18-2010, 01:09 PM

2 posts, read 5,528 times
Have you checked out: Allstate Insurance Company - Teen Driver They have great rates that are specific to new drivers.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:55 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,001,927 times
IMO VW Jetta is a great car for new drivers, fun to drive but easy and not fast. Also very safe. Safety is the key in cars for teens. Safety and cars which are not too fast. Old cars are a no go for me for new drivers new cars are much safer.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:47 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
SunnyDee, you're right about teenage passengers! I think the old saying is, "When you have one teenage boy you have a boy. When you have two teenage boys you have half a boy. When you have three teenage boys you've got no boy at all."

Teenagers, in groups, tend to turn their brains off..
I ALWAYS laugh when I hear that the various Volvo vehicles are "great" vehicles for young drivers. I think that the ONLY SAFE vehicle for a 16 year old is one with their parents planted in the passenger seat and NO OTHER TEENAGERS in the car.

When I was working in a small rural hospital, we received notice to activate the hospital emergency plan. Seems like three teenagers were in a "safe" Volvo. The driver was 16 years old, a new driver and had two friends in the car. She was driving on a two lane rural highway. She made the stupid decision to pass a car ON A HILL. She ran head-on into a dump truck. The truck driver told the state trooper that he saw that the driver turned her head and was talking to her friend in the back seat.

Fortunately, the ER doctors and several surgeons were able to stabilize the three girls so that they could be "life flighted" to the trauma centers 100 miles away.

The think that I remember is seeing the ER doctor after the incident was over. It was one huge mess.

There is this terrible illusion that if you buy a car with a lot of "safety equipment" that you are instantly safe. That is a load of garbage. What you need is a competent, experienced driver who is completely focused on the road and not on the cell phone, iPod and a million and one OTHER distractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive