U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2009, 05:44 PM

625 posts, read 3,451,847 times

Advertisements

Ok so I just came from getting an oil change and the technician at my usual place said he noticed some transmission on the motor. I asked what it meant and was told it's nothing. Now I know nothing about cars so I want a second opinion and people on this forum usually know what they are talking about. It's a 2000 mitsubishi eclipse. I get regular oil changes and I just got a tune up about a month ago. I try to keep it in good condition because I can't afford any major problems or a new car. Any suggestions or am I just worried about nothing. If something could be wrong I'd rather catch it and repair it now before it becomes something major. As a woman who's had some bad experiences in the past with auto repair shops I really don't have much trust in many.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 05:57 PM

886 posts, read 5,136,329 times
It the car an automatic or manual?

Old 07-18-2009, 07:29 PM

11,026 posts, read 24,905,645 times
could be they just spilled some ATF when they topped it off. did they check the level of tranny fluid?

Last edited by GTOlover; 07-18-2009 at 07:58 PM..

Old 07-18-2009, 07:51 PM

3,790 posts, read 8,154,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
could be they just spilled some ATF when they topped it off. did the chck the level of tranny fluid?
I second that.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:39 PM

874 posts, read 2,608,229 times
It could be what has been suggested above or it could be a leak in the line from the transmission to the radiator. I do not know off hand if the Eclipse works this way but most vehicles have the transmission fluid run from the transmission either to a the radiator where it is cooled or a separate transmission cooler. Also power steering fluid tends to be red and can be confused for transmission fluid. I would just keep an eye on the transmission fluid level and for any more fluid on the engine once you wipe it all off.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:05 AM

625 posts, read 3,451,847 times
Thanks for the suggestions. I read on hear that some people have their transmission fluid drained and then put back in. Am I supposed to do that? When I took my car to my mechanic shop before I asked him if he could do this and he said I'd have to take it to a jiffy lube or someplace like that since he doesn't have the equipment to do that.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:42 AM

There are special machines that cost a lot of money that many repair shops do not have. The machine sucks up all of the transmission fluid out of the transmission. When you drop the transmission pan to drain it a lot of fluid is still left in the transmission especially in the torque converter. Car dealers definitely have these machines. You can also call a bunch of different repair places and ask them if they have the machine.

Your car's owner manual should have recommended mileage to have the transmission fluid changed. Many people complain about their transmissions going bad on high mileage vehicles which I can never understand. The transmission fluid put in from the factory is not meant to be left in there for the life of the transmission. Fluid breaking down is probably the number one cause of transmission failure.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:06 PM

1,765 posts, read 6,660,010 times
having pinched the line that runs transmission fluid up to the radiator (on a truck, by smacking a stump) I would say that if you busted the line (or it was somehow leaking) you'd know it. there would be pools of red everywhere you stopped. you'd also smell it.

a "transmission flush and fill" is what they call it at places like "Jiffy Lube" or at a dealer -- i have no idea what interval (in miles) that is called for on your car, but it should be in the description of service points

Old 07-20-2009, 02:11 PM

15,299 posts, read 48,904,002 times
I'd encourage you to find a good indpendent service shop and get away from all "quicky lube" outfits, get yourself a real mechanic who will cast an educated glance on your car while he does the oil change, rather than a distracted pimple-face who may or may not even tighten the drain plug properly...

Another vote for someone having spilled some ATF on top of your engine while adding to it, but that's just a guess since I can't see what's going on.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caution View Post
having pinched the line that runs transmission fluid up to the radiator (on a truck, by smacking a stump) I would say that if you busted the line (or it was somehow leaking) you'd know it. there would be pools of red everywhere you stopped. you'd also smell it.

a "transmission flush and fill" is what they call it at places like "Jiffy Lube" or at a dealer -- i have no idea what interval (in miles) that is called for on your car, but it should be in the description of service points
If the lines are steel sometimes they can get a small pinhole which would not necessarily be all over the ground. Sometimes the metal lines can just get porous as well; where they will leak but not "shoot out" fluid. Same thing can happen with a pinhole in a rubber line.

I do agree that if the fluid was spraying onto the engine you should be able to see some smoke and smell it as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive