Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 10:55 AM

200 posts, read 632,641 times

Advertisements

I was wondering what was the best way to do this, the buyer was going to pay for a little over half for the car up front. I was then going to hold his title for his other car until he came up with the rest (about two weeks). Would this work or is there any better options of doing this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 11:00 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,388,802 times
Is the other car not running? That just seems like a strange situation. I would take a deposit for the car to remove it from marketing, a nominal amount that also includes a provision for remarketing, such as $100 for relisting it in a classified ad should the buyer not come through. Then, give them time to get their funds together and complete the purchase. Don't give them a vehicle, however, when they do not hold title, since you are responsible for it, and could expose yourself to liability issues; and what happens if they don't come through with the money?

Old 07-20-2009, 11:00 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,519,218 times
Hold the car & title UNTIL it's paid for

Write the person a receipt for money down with a description
of the car including the VIN number and the date it to be
completely paid for and both of you sign

Old 07-20-2009, 11:05 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,864,851 times
To clarify this situation, you are getting paid half of the value of your car, and you are giving him possession of your car, he keeps possession of his car, and you get to hold the title of his car? Does that mean you are giving him the title of your car as well as possession before you get paid in full? This doesn't seem like a good deal. The title proves ownership of the car, but he's not transferring ownership to you, correct? So you hold a piece of paper that shows he owns his car. And that serves you, how? Plus, you don't know if he has any liens on that car? Which would make the title pointless if the courts have already prohibited him from selling the vehicle until he pays outstanding debts secured by the vehicle.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:07 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,438,544 times
I wouldn't do this personally. I would hold onto the car and tell them to come back later when they have the money. Keep advertising for the car as well. If you sell it to someone else oh well.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:11 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,159,014 times
In a private party car transaction, you're looking for trouble by not getting all the money in good funds before giving title and delivery of the car to the buyer.

Dealers have recourse in these situations by financing the buyer, so the car sale is a "done deal", and the money side of things is held by others (unless it's a "buy here - pay here" lot). Unless you have those resources and are willing to take several big risks on somebody else driving a car that you own and are still liable for ... don't go down the path of financing your car buyer. It's more trouble than it's worth for you ....

If this buyer wants the car bad enough, they'll wait the two weeks they need to get the money or they'll get it from a legitimate lender. Otherwise, find a "real" buyer.

Don't even bother with holding title to another vehicle as "security". Unless you file and establish a "secured interest" in that vehicle, all you have is a piece of paper which gives you no rights or interest at all.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:18 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,408,854 times
So many red flags! Your just begging for trouble!

Old 07-20-2009, 11:45 AM

Yea thanks for all the quick advice, the buyer said it's ultimately up to me how I wanted to go about doing this. I'm thinking that I'm going to have him just give me $100 or so for me to hold it for two weeks until he has the cash. Also write out some sort of agreement to were if he doesn't come up with the full price within two weeks then he only gets half of his deposit back. Luckily the car doesn't hold much value either way I'm just tired of the headache of trying to sell it.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:48 AM

17,213 posts, read 57,047,755 times
Yeah, I would not even deal with this guy - In God We Trust - All others can damn well pay cash!

Instead of the guy paying you 50% now, draw up a simple contract where he pays you 10% as a non-refundable deposit to hold the car for (how long does he need?) at the end of this period of time, either this guy shows up with the other 90% and gets the car, or fails to do so and you keep his deposit, he gets nada.

*possibly* offer to barter with this guy, but take care to not take any tainted goods in trade.

What kind of car and how much money are we talking about here?

Old 07-20-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Yeah, I would not even deal with this guy - In God We Trust - All others can damn well pay cash!

Instead of the guy paying you 50% now, draw up a simple contract where he pays you 10% as a non-refundable deposit to hold the car for (how long does he need?) at the end of this period of time, either this guy shows up with the other 90% and gets the car, or fails to do so and you keep his deposit, he gets nada.

*possibly* offer to barter with this guy, but take care to not take any tainted goods in trade.

What kind of car and how much money are we talking about here?
It's a 95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD, fun car but it pops out of first and is leaking some oil. I don't have time to mess with it so I'm just trying to get rid of it. I'm selling to him for $1200 if he comes through with the money. He has an older Eagle Talon which he plans on stripping and throwing a lot of it into my vehicle. So yea I'm probably gonna do like you said 10% deposit. He gets paid this week and then again two weeks from now so really about 3 weeks until he would have the cash in full.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive