Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 11:30 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times

Advertisements

If you want to mod a stock Benz like the OP has, you're better off going to RennTech, Brabus, Carlsson, Lorinser, or the aforementioned Kleeman for the body/performance upgrades that you want. Generally, it's not an inexpensive DIY project when upgrading a stock Benz, and the only tuner part of the official line-up is AMG with its hand-built engines and other upgrades. But, that's fine for a new Benz, for an existing one, RennTech has a V6 upgrde package for the CLK that's not terribly expensive ($2500 IIRC) to give it a bit more punch, but the conversion to a 3.8L engine is around $10k.

If you plan to sell the car, I'd not invest too much, since you would have to find a specific buyer who knows the upgrades and will realize that it's not the same price as a stock Benz that you'd trade-in. Lorinser body kits, for example, would fall into that category, since they're going to give the car a different look, and adding new wheels and tires to complete the exterior, it may not be an inexpensive undertaking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 01:35 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,237,259 times
I have modded my Mazda3, but all suspension mods, since it's not really possible to make it fast straightline.

So far I have done Racing Beat Springs, Koni Sport dampers, Racing Beat endlinks, Progress rear sway bar, and a GT Spec 4-point brace. Add to that a set of Yokohama Advan AD07's and the car handles awesomely.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:47 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,069,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
I have modded my Mazda3, but all suspension mods, since it's not really possible to make it fast straightline.

So far I have done Racing Beat Springs, Koni Sport dampers, Racing Beat endlinks, Progress rear sway bar, and a GT Spec 4-point brace. Add to that a set of Yokohama Advan AD07's and the car handles awesomely.
I believe the MazdaSpeed turbo 4 is a direct drop in (with 260hp)....

Old 07-31-2009, 09:10 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,675,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
Gains are minimal at best and the hp per dollar ratio is awful.

+1

Spoken by someone who clearly knows exactly what they are talking about.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:40 PM

34 posts, read 187,192 times
to be honest, replacing just an air filter will hardly make a difference car. The stock one from the car is good enough. Unless you want to brag about I got an K&N air filter, most car people will just laugh at you. Air filter will only make some difference if you are into extreme modding.

There are many K&N air filter sellers online that will say it will add 10-15 hp! this is completely false, its false advertising, so don't fall for it. You will make yourself look like an idiot especially if you brag about it to someone who knows about cars. I'm not saying its a bad product, it just doesn't do anything performance wise. They are targeting people who are clueless about cars and want to get started into modding, they know people who change just an air filter will never dyno their cars, therefore they will never have proof that it really puts out 10-15 more hp.

Old 08-01-2009, 03:33 AM

26 posts, read 92,946 times
Like someone said before, I think I should just get better brakes, suspension etc. That way if I plan to sell my car people will more likely take the mods into account. ( Plus, better brakes mean a safer car right? )

Old 08-01-2009, 05:01 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,016,490 times
i think some of the directions we take on our cars now may be reflected by our ages. While I have driven some nice handling cars over the years, it's just never been something I had much interested in pursuing. But being one who grew up in the later stages of the muscle era, I still can't get the thrill out of acceleration out of my blood. Most of my cars back then couldn't stop worth a "you know what", and cornering? I don't know what was worse between the soft suspensions, poor tire compounds, or that awful early power steering where you could move your hand back and forth and the car went straight. Of course we could stiffen the rear with ladder and traction bars ( plus air shocks ), but that form of stiff really didn't help the handling any--in some cases almost made it more dangerous.
From a safety aspect, suspension mods make all the sense in the world. And it may be easier to fnd places to autocross much easier then drag, so you can enjoy what you've built.
But all I can remember from back in the day is street running a v8 Pinto and cruising in a 500+hp 10.70 sec Camaro. That is why my own taste will always lead me to engine mods first. I may never duplicate those cars, but if i can enjoy even a quick on-ramp blast, then I put a smile on my face.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:40 AM

34 posts, read 187,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james0509 View Post
Like someone said before, I think I should just get better brakes, suspension etc. That way if I plan to sell my car people will more likely take the mods into account. ( Plus, better brakes mean a safer car right? )
yea those are excellent upgrades, but again - stock is sufficient enough. If you want a firmer ride than go with suspension, but keep in mind that ride comfort will suffer. Brakes will cost a lot, but if you are not going to up the hp on the car, I personally think its a waste of money (a good brake kit will cost $2-3000). But its your car and this is just my opinion.

If you got the money, get a supercharger (need for speed), new brakes and suspension.

Also, keep in mind if you mod your car in anyway, the majority of the buyers will never factor in the price of the mods. For many people it will give them a bargaining chip for them to even lower the price of your car even more because it is not stock. It gives the perception that the car has been tampered with, and these mods may affect the car in a negative way (even though in reality its better).

If you want to mod something, may I suggest the exhaust? It doesn't do anything performance wise, but sound wise - a sportier sounding car! But if that is not your thing, ignore my advice

Old 08-03-2009, 11:10 AM

3,041 posts, read 4,998,632 times
I think a better investment would be to take whatever you would have spent on mods and trade your CLK for the AMG version. Then your suspension, brakes, and engine will be better, probably for less than you would have spent on any one upgrade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive