Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which type of transmission do you prefer?
Automatic 100 29.15%
Manual 175 51.02%
Both 68 19.83%
Voters: 343. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 09:14 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,714,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartygurl View Post
I prefer manual but they are getting harder and harder to find nowdays. Does anyone know of a smaller sized SUV that comes in manual transmission?
Subaru Forester for sure; probably some of the smaller Japanese ones too like the Toyota Rav-4, Honda CRV, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 09:19 AM

4 posts, read 8,040 times
Manual definitely. You have more control, AND it's better on fuel. Besides, manual's are not that bad in traffic, you get used to it. I REALLY hate traffic anyway. I'd rather drive 10 miles further to go round the traffic than have to queue.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:04 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,023,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityfan123 View Post
Manual definitely. You have more control, AND it's better on fuel. Besides, manual's are not that bad in traffic, you get used to it. I REALLY hate traffic anyway. I'd rather drive 10 miles further to go round the traffic than have to queue.
Luckily for me I can drive 10 miles here and not see two cars on the road sometimes

Old 07-31-2009, 10:37 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,353,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityfan123 View Post
AND it's better on fuel.

That's incorrect. Most modern automatics are better on fuel mileage than the same car with a manual.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:48 AM

626 posts, read 1,342,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
I prefer manual transmission in any decent size vehicle. SUV's/Trucks/Vans need a slushbox though.
I definitely have to agree with this... driving a manual also gives you (well me at least) more of a controlled sporty feel.

PLUS just think if everybody had to drive a stick there wouldnt be nearly as much texting while driving going on

Old 07-31-2009, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdubose View Post
I definitely have to agree with this... driving a manual also gives you (well me at least) more of a controlled sporty feel.

PLUS just think if everybody had to drive a stick there wouldnt be nearly as much texting while driving going on
Luckily that stupid move is getting ready to get stopped anyway....I hope the fine is $500 for the first offense and your hands broken for the second offense

Old 07-31-2009, 10:56 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,678,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
Luckily that stupid move is getting ready to get stopped anyway....I hope the fine is $500 for the first offense and your hands broken for the second offense
A stupid move being stopped with an even stupider action. Pretty soon you will be getting pulled over for merely moving your lips or having your head tilted at the wrong angle.

I would rather run the risk of being killed by a texter than to slowly have all of my freedoms robbed from me.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
A stupid move being stopped with an even stupider action. Pretty soon you will be getting pulled over for merely moving your lips or having your head tilted at the wrong angle.

I would rather run the risk of being killed by a texter than to slowly have all of my freedoms robbed from me.
My uncle was hit last fall by a teen girl texting while he was on his motorcycle....he is STILL having problems two surgeries later and then a couple of weeks after that a good friend of mine was injured when a texter pulled out in front of him and he Tboned her on his motorcycle.

Both parties admited to texting and my friends accident was witnessed by a Deputy.

So maybe you need to come talk to these two guys and tell THEM all about it,I'll bet they would be elated to hear opinions from YOU on the subject of texting while driving.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:18 AM

5,994 posts, read 19,889,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post

There really should not be a reason for you to text while driving. It is most certainly dangerous (I've tried it..) and is not a reasonable freedom. Should we also be allowed to drink alcohol, get wasted and then legally be able to drive? Both situations impair your driving.

Old 07-31-2009, 04:09 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,568,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmBch View Post
Which do you prefer?
I've driven both manual and automatic and I feel more control with the 1st one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive