Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 06:55 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,341,950 times

Advertisements

Shocker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 08:49 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,718,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
Well stated. I could trade in the wife's Volvo 960, but it runs as good as new and still looks nice. Cold a/c too thanks to wrenching on it a couple of weekends ago. She likes the car so... why do it?

The whole point is to get cars with better mpg on the roads and cars with poorer mpg off the roads - it has nothing to do with how well maintained those cars are.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:51 AM

626 posts, read 1,349,765 times
I didnt understand what they expected in the 1st place... I mean people dont have jobs but YES lets trade in our cars to get car payments.. not at the top of my priority list!

Old 07-31-2009, 09:59 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,890,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
The whole point is to get cars with better mpg on the roads and cars with poorer mpg off the roads - it has nothing to do with how well maintained those cars are.
But if that was the real reason, they wouldn't have put so many stipulations on the program. And why would gaining 1 or 2 MPG in a new truck over an older one qualify? I mean if somebody drives in with a smoke billowing, gas drinking hog that is early 70's late 60's they don't get squat with this.

Why only on new vehicles? If the program was truly interested in getting low MPG vehicles off the road and replacing them with higher MPG vehicles, then somebody who wanted to trade ANY old gas hog, should be able to get the deal if the only thing they can afford or want is a newer small gas efficient vehicle. Somebody trading a 1972 Ford F-350 with the 460 or 390 wants a 2004 Honda Accord should get the same deal if that was the real scope of this program.

I usually don't believe in any of the "tinfoil" hat BS, but it makes you wonder about the timing of this deal. The Gov't takes a big ownership stock in 2 of the domestic auto manufactures, then offers a deal to "help the environment" by getting older vehicles off the road and only NEW vehicles on the road in their place. Right...

Old 07-31-2009, 10:01 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,436,925 times
The point is to get older vehicles with higher emissions / worse smog control off the road.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:08 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,127,368 times
People are definitely taking advantage of this because I've been doing vehicle loans with trade ins all week and a high percentage of these has been to take advantage of the rebate.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:18 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,509,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
But if that was the real reason, they wouldn't have put so many stipulations on the program. And why would gaining 1 or 2 MPG in a new truck over an older one qualify? I mean if somebody drives in with a smoke billowing, gas drinking hog that is early 70's late 60's they don't get squat with this.

Why only on new vehicles? If the program was truly interested in getting low MPG vehicles off the road and replacing them with higher MPG vehicles, then somebody who wanted to trade ANY old gas hog, should be able to get the deal if the only thing they can afford or want is a newer small gas efficient vehicle. Somebody trading a 1972 Ford F-350 with the 460 or 390 wants a 2004 Honda Accord should get the same deal if that was the real scope of this program.

I usually don't believe in any of the "tinfoil" hat BS, but it makes you wonder about the timing of this deal. The Gov't takes a big ownership stock in 2 of the domestic auto manufactures, then offers a deal to "help the environment" by getting older vehicles off the road and only NEW vehicles on the road in their place. Right...

I concur.

How about just giving everyone that needs an OBD2 compliant vehicle as a daily driver that $4500 to grab something newer, rather than sock them with a payment that might stretch them thin for a few years?

Oh, that's right, we're not the ones buttering the bread here.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:22 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,482,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
The point is to get older vehicles with higher emissions / worse smog control off the road.
Tell me how exchanging 1/10 of 1% (.01%) of the cars on the road (in the US) will do ANYTHING for the environment. China ADDED more cars in one month than was exchanged here.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:13 PM

2,482 posts, read 6,538,473 times
Here is the problem and my OPINION!
C.A.R.S had good intentions, but some how put the cart before the horse.

Also, the problem we have in this nation is unproperly kept, un-registered, un-insured vehicles. Most CLUCKERS(...not all) are drove by people that either
a. don't own them
b. are illegally registered
c. have not had insurance for the length required
d. don't have a licenses to begin with

So this program really doesn't help much. After all these cars and MFG's are owed mostly by us tax payers. So we bailed them out, and then now footing the CARS program to boost better gas mileage. Maybe I am being negative- at which I am sure someone here will say or come post some remark.

Last edited by LQQKOUT; 07-31-2009 at 12:21 PM..

Old 07-31-2009, 12:29 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,947,024 times
The house just passed a new 2 billion more for the clunkers program. That was quick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive