Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 11:05 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times

Advertisements

That is not waht i have seen. A good driver that satys in line and contiues to drive slower but constant makes traffic proceed better. Drivers that cut in and out only cause braking whcih slows everyhtihng. in some parts of california have ahve seen crowded trafic where things flow as smoothny as possible because of the leasons learn on patients.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 11:33 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times
Do have a feeling that some posters have never been in REAL traffic for a long period of time.

Bumper to bumper cars is one thing...speed of those cars is something else.

As long as everyone moves at the same speed there will be NO problems.

You will find an occasional slow poke or an idiot who is in a hurry to his own funeral.

Being from Calif and accustomed to the traffic and the rules of the road found my driving habits to be out of the norm upon living in Mexico City. Driving with an American line of road thinking...I was always a slow poke around others and would get an occasional dirty look. Sooooo I started to drive a little fast and crazy like the majority drivers and guess what? traffic driving was a breeze and accidents were at a minimum that I saw. You have to go with the flow or your in deep doo doo.

Have not been to Europe...but have driven in the large US cities... Canada.. Japan (Tokyo/Yokohama)...and of course in all the large cities of Mexico.

They all have their own driving habits/etiquette.

Steve

Old 08-01-2009, 12:27 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
MAN!!!! If we could just get the Illinois State Troopers to understand that now
You live in the wrong part of the state. Up here they nap while everyone whizzes by at 15 over. Probably because even they understand that the 55mph speed limits around here are absurd.

Old 08-02-2009, 06:47 PM

469 posts, read 1,870,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I don't buy it. No matter what you do (obey or break the laws and "rules" of driving) it only takes ONE driver who follows too close or cuts someone off to send a chain reaction backwards that screws up the flow.

It also only takes one idiot going too slow in the passing/left lane to create miles of backed up traffic behind him. I have a 50 mile round trip commute, and I see this causing traffic problems WAY more often than accidents.
Agreed!

I was on a road trip about two years back (it was late at night) where the passing lane was used exactly for that....passing. I had cruise control on. Traffic was flowing smoothly, and I did not see one brake light....until...we all came upon on slow poke trotting in the passing lane not willing to move over. That was when all hell broke loose.

Traffic started to back up in the passing lane, which spilled into the right lane (there was only two lanes), and then all you see is a row of brake lights and frustrated drivers. It only takes one slow poke to eff it up for everyone else.

Old 08-02-2009, 08:24 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,697,007 times
There was a British study 5-7 years ago now that studied the effects of brake lights on the interstate. One person hitting the brakes could cause a ripple that goes back over 20 miles as traffic is impeded by that one vehicle.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:36 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,416,797 times
Probably 80% or 90% of all traffic problems are caused by someone cruising in the passing lane and being disrespectful to other drivers. It doesn't matter what the speed limit is, you aren't a cop, get out of the way and call the cops if you want, or just hope that some city revenue generator (traffic cop) catches them.

That point aside, weaving in and out of traffic and tailgating could never, in any way, be construed as safe driving.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:43 PM

47 posts, read 103,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Probably 80% or 90% of all traffic problems are caused by someone cruising in the passing lane and being disrespectful to other drivers. It doesn't matter what the speed limit is, you aren't a cop, get out of the way and call the cops if you want, or just hope that some city revenue generator (traffic cop) catches them.

That point aside, weaving in and out of traffic and tailgating could never, in any way, be construed as safe driving.
Yes sir! I never understand how those drivers are taught.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:21 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times
Drivers...Good and the Bad.

Odds are that a Good driver may just be a SLOW driver with no sense of urgency.

Odds are that a Bad driver has a legit reason for being called BAD.

We all have been there at some point in time...medical emergency reason...and the worse one being a need of a rest room two mins ago while driving on the freeway.

Have a heart...things could be worse.

Steve

Old 08-04-2009, 07:51 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,038,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Odds are that a Good driver may just be a SLOW driver with no sense of urgency.
I have no problem with slow drivers with no sense of urgency as long as they stay out of the left lane and use turnouts. If they do not, they are BAD drivers!

Old 08-04-2009, 07:58 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,416,797 times
I came up on a man in a Bentley Continental GT doing roughly 52MPH in a 60MPH zone, in the left hand lane, and weaving in his own lane as he attempted to speak on the phone yesterday. A prime example of a bad driver.

Of course, my first thought was $185K for that car, and he can't find someone to set up the Bluetooth for him?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive