Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 07:46 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,085,908 times

Advertisements

Well, I will post up something, that IH "Joe Cool" tractor (as in tractor-trailer rig) is going by my house at least once per day, pulling a load of feed corn as well as I can tell - it's that kind of trailer anyway.

I have a new battery ready to put into my 1954 IHC Super C tractor, it's sitting there fully charged on the Battery Tender, waiting for me to get around to putting it in the tractor. I need to get off my butt and do this while the weather is relatively warm and nice here, before the next snow, we will probably get at least one more good dusting. The last snow was light, and a Chinook wind was in the forecast only 2-3 days out from the git-go, so I didn't bother to try to plow the snow out of the drive. Just drove the Subaru those 2 days and no problem.

Where is Whatever You Want anyway? Have not heard from him in a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 07:57 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,718,851 times
Anyone here been to David's Farm?

Old 01-11-2010, 09:04 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,283,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Where is Whatever You Want anyway? Have not heard from him in a while.
I don't think he likes us anymore. Or he suddenly became "not a redneck."

Got a pic of Joe Cool, or did you post one already? I admit I didn't go searching back through the thread.

Old 01-12-2010, 02:55 PM

Joe Cool is the IH tractor (road tractor) shown back in the thread, probably way back. The Art-Deco looking one they started making recently called the Lonestar.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:32 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,785,719 times
Has anyone drove or even seen a Lonestar on the road?

Old 01-13-2010, 03:22 PM

Well, like I said there is one that comes by the house just about every day, pulling a trailer that would be used for hauling bulk crops like feed corn. It's black or dark blue, with that big chrome Art Deco looking grille, it's certainly distinctive-looking.

I have only seen that one though. Not that I sit out by the road all day watching trucks, so there may be others, or there may be 2 or more that I can't tell apart, they all have the same color paint.

But, if you are trying to say there are not a lot of them out on the road, yeah, you are right.

I think they cost a good bit more than other models that are functionally the same truck. Most guys who have the extra cash to, essentially, waste on styling are not driving truck for a living.

But it is a Joe Cool looking rig all the same.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/blog...s/4248351.html

Well, shut my mouth, apparently it's not only good looking but more aerodynamic than most trucks, saving "$3000 to $8000 worth of fuel a year". So sez Popular Mechanics.

Rumor has it that they do cost a good bit more than other IH trucks. Whether it's a good investment or not, time will tell. If drivers make more money with them, that word will get out.

Last edited by M3 Mitch; 01-13-2010 at 03:27 PM.. Reason: Add Link

Old 01-13-2010, 03:32 PM

I am fan of IH trucks. Just don't see many around. They look cool, look like they would fun if I was doing to owner operator or had my own company. I would want that extra bit of nice. But other models would suit me quite well.

Frankly I would more interested in engine, transmission and rear end than anything.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:59 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,283,841 times
That is a very cool rig. Thanks for reposting the pix. And more fuel efficient to boot...

"Honey, I'm gonna have to buy this truck...Can't afford not to..."

Old 01-14-2010, 03:25 PM

It seems like the trucking world is in 2 camps - one loves it and the other hates it. I saw the local one this morning, it's been around here for at least 6 months, it may be a smaller or lighter-duty version of the one in that link.

What do they call these single-rear-axle tractors? I'm not saying the one I have been seeing is one, but you know what I mean, the "light" version of a big rig that has 10 instead of 18 wheels. I'll have to pay attention to the rear axles and see if it's got one or two.

The photos, which are of course advertising photos and are careful to show everything off to it's best advantage, look good. Any OTR trucker spends a lot of time in the cab, if a guy could manage to get one of these it would make the work environment more pleasant.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:44 PM

Are you taking single tire instead of dual tires? If so they are wider than dual tires, called super singles.

Or are you taking trucks with single screw instead of twin screw? (single rear axle?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive