Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 12:46 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,078,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
The 400 or even 600 grit sandpaper is very fine, Eagle I think you are thinking of sandpaper that you would use on wood, which is about 5X coarser than what I am suggesting. Do what Muleskinner suggests, with the 5-gallon bucket and one drop of dish soap (Dawn is very good for this) and you will have to work carefully, you can do this with your hand but a sanding block would be better. Look out for any crease lines like usually go down the middle of the hood, it's very easy to cut through to bare metal.

I am thinking you have no auto body work experience at all, you can save yourself some grief by getting an instructional DVD from Larry Lyles outfit (Google him).

If you cut through to bare metal you can mask off around the hood and go with the black primer, it would probably look better than what you have.

If you painted it with Rust-Oleum, I am 99% certain you won't be getting that off with anything chemical short of paint thinner...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 10:17 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,282,353 times
Keep in mind that your original paint is very likely lacquer. So you run the risk of the thinner eating into the original paint as well if you go this route. Then again, lacquer thinner is mostly acetone, so if you already tried that and it didn't work, it probably still won't work.

You are most likely going to have to take Skinner and Mitch's advice, and sand it down. There is another alternative, though. Your blotchiness is probably due to inadequate coverage. You could get a *decent* paint job of it if you go ahead and buy several more cans of the same paint and put on several coats, making sure that you overlap each stroke by at least 50%. Your trigger finger is going to be very sore when you are done. Make sure you clean off the WD-40 first. THOROUGHLY.

Rustoleum is oil based paint. So anything you try to do now will have to involve oil based product.

Old 01-26-2017, 09:56 AM

1 posts, read 546 times
Orbital sander with 160 grit emery cloth. Rinse it well in the sun with your garden hose, and let dry well. Get a can of Acetone and saturate a cotton t shirt well with it, and start wiping it down, but wear nitrile gloves, as this solvent is harsh, and will dry quickly. Keep doing so until you hood wipes clean. Prime well in a clean room with Rustoleum flat gray industrial enamel. Recoat within an hour 2 more times. Let dry for a day, then lightly buff with 200 grit emery. This will remove what ever trash was dried onto it over this time. You now will be able to apply your top coats of rattle can paint, preferably the same Rustoleum industrial enamel. I used high gloss, and Sherwin Williams auto clear coat rattle. Be sure your area is preferably in negative preasure and clean. This will give you an ultimate over the counter paint job on your hood if done correctly.

Old 01-26-2017, 10:37 AM

306 posts, read 365,131 times
^ Do you realize you just bumped a 7+ year old thread? OP probably doesn't even have that car anymore.

Old 01-26-2017, 10:42 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,265,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
Yesterday i spray painted the hood of my 85 olds. I used a can of regular spray paint & it looks worse then it did before. Its all blotchy & looks like i used a can of spray paint.
Well, what did you expect it to look like?

Old 01-26-2017, 10:43 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,265,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsboost View Post
^ Do you realize you just bumped a 7+ year old thread? OP probably doesn't even have that car anymore.
I hate when that happens. That being said, I'm pretty sure Steel7 still has that car.

Old 01-26-2017, 10:49 AM

670 posts, read 1,441,662 times
Plastidip it!

Old 01-26-2017, 10:51 AM

17,303 posts, read 12,242,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsboost View Post
The forum itself prompts you to do that rather than create a new thread.

But yeah +1 on plastidip as an easy to apply alternative that is out there now.

Old 01-26-2017, 11:50 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post

But yeah +1 on plastidip as an easy to apply alternative that is out there now.
I used it recently on my plastic chrome grill, and it looks great, has survived the cold down to 17F and no sign of bug or pebble chips so far. The best thing about it is not being glossy, any future problems can be easily touched up without showing.

Old 01-26-2017, 11:57 AM

306 posts, read 365,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Sure, if you're looking to solve a similar problem, not one from long ago. And yes, I do realize I've added to the activity of this thread which will probably keep it going a while longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive