Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 07:55 PM

69 posts, read 275,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Can you give us a clue if you are in a humid or dry climate? A certain amount of condensed water vapor coming out of A/C vents is normal in a humid climate.

If it concerns you, drive the car again but put the A/C on "Max" or "Recirc" ( I think Subie uses "Max") which should allow you to dry out the air in the cabin, the water vapor should go away.

Find yourself a good independent shop that does Subie cars, take it there for a pre-purchase inspection, if you are not capable of inspecting it mechanically yourself.

My hunch is that it's normal water vapor from the A/C. But get a pro to actually check the car, rather than rely on a hunch from some guy on the internet, who is not looking at the car...

Will do, Im going to have to take it to a mechanic if i decide that I want it, the weather changes so often its hard to tell. I think a mechanic I trust is my best bet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 07:58 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
If you don't want to give a location you don't have to - but sometimes how a car is acting is dependent on if you are in Tampa or International Falls - what might be normal in one place would be abnormal in the other...

The water vapor coming from A/C vents would be normal in high humidity and fairly high temperature conditions.

You should be able to smell antifreeze if it's actually a heater core leaking. On a car this new I would think that's unlikely.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
If you don't want to give a location you don't have to - but sometimes how a car is acting is dependent on if you are in Tampa or International Falls - what might be normal in one place would be abnormal in the other...

The water vapor coming from A/C vents would be normal in high humidity and fairly high temperature conditions.

You should be able to smell antifreeze if it's actually a heater core leaking. On a car this new I would think that's unlikely.
Im going back tomorrow.....its relieving to know that it should be no biggie. thanks! I'll look into it & keep you all posted..

Old 08-10-2009, 08:32 PM

according to my dh it was coming from the a/c vents

Old 08-10-2009, 09:03 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,704,794 times
Ten to one it is simply condensation from the air conditioning blowing into a hot/humid car. If you see smoke, try and smell it and see what it smells like. An 06 is a three year old car, so it should still look and act brand new.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
Ten to one it is simply condensation from the air conditioning blowing into a hot/humid car. If you see smoke, try and smell it and see what it smells like. An 06 is a three year old car, so it should still look and act brand new.
I'll have to check it out again, but im pretty sure it was just smoke & not anti-freeze smell, thanks im thinkin your right, hopin so anyway.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:24 PM

366 posts, read 1,374,174 times
also, sometimes the detail guys spray this shiny crap all over when they detail it. Ive seen a few cars smoke because of the shiny crap burning off. they even spray it under the hood.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:16 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,335,319 times
M3 is right.

Did it smell bad and "linger" like smoke?

Or was it more like "mist" that was visible near the vents.

Smoke normally will rise and linger. You can't stand to be in a closed up car with smoke coming in very long. It will also smell like something (oil, etc).

Old 08-11-2009, 10:15 AM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsgirl11 View Post
I'll have to check it out again, but im pretty sure it was just smoke & not anti-freeze smell, thanks im thinkin your right, hopin so anyway.

Wrong attitude. Get your pointy ears on, get your Guy Noir fedora on - look very coldly and objectively at what facts you can observe, never get your heart set on a car you don't own...

Probably, probably, the car is fine, it's a Sube and only 3 years old so unless it's an ex-rally car it should not have any mechanical problems.

But, trust yet verify, as the Russians said long before Reagan said it...

Next step. Cool your jets and don't over-pay for the car...

Old 08-11-2009, 10:47 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsgirl11 View Post
yea im pretty sure it came from the a/c vents, could this be a costly repair or not a problem at all if thats what it was?
Unless it actually smelled like smoke, I wouldn't worry about it. Sounds to me like it was condensation building on the compressed air coming out of the A/C system. I've had a few cars where this happened a lot on hot humid days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive