Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 09:45 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,015,751 times

Advertisements

A few days ago i got a ticket for tinted windows. In ca its a fix it ticket which means i got to remove the tint & also pay a $25.00 processing fee. The riverside county,ca deputy told me its just a fix it ticket but didnt tell me about the fee. This is revenue for the county & they dont care if you're poor or not. I talked to the clerk at the court house & she said if you dont comply your drivers license will be suspended & more fines will be imposed. I bought my car over 6 yrs ago with the tint on it & have never been stopped once. The cop said he cant see inside the car yet i could. Its med tint. He was just being a jerk. I have seen LOTS of cars with tinted windows in ca. It gets very hot here from may-oct. Some cops can be total idiots. The cop said "im sorry" & i said if you were sorry you wouldnt of ticketed me. Hes a young cop whos just strutting his power. Im going to try to find a decent cop that will sign off my ticket & let me keep the tint on. I just got to find the right one. Any active police officer in ca can sign off my ticket. Wish me luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 10:35 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
If your tint is legal then appeal it. If not then fix it.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:41 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post
A few days ago i got a ticket for tinted windows. In ca its a fix it ticket which means i got to remove the tint & also pay a $25.00 processing fee. The riverside county,ca deputy told me its just a fix it ticket but didnt tell me about the fee. This is revenue for the county & they dont care if you're poor or not. I talked to the clerk at the court house & she said if you dont comply your drivers license will be suspended & more fines will be imposed. I bought my car over 6 yrs ago with the tint on it & have never been stopped once. The cop said he cant see inside the car yet i could. Its med tint. He was just being a jerk. I have seen LOTS of cars with tinted windows in ca. It gets very hot here from may-oct. Some cops can be total idiots. The cop said "im sorry" & i said if you were sorry you wouldnt of ticketed me. Hes a young cop whos just strutting his power. Im going to try to find a decent cop that will sign off my ticket & let me keep the tint on. I just got to find the right one. Any active police officer in ca can sign off my ticket. Wish me luck.
Many a cop has died when they walk up to the window of a car because they couldn't see the impending danger in the drivers face. So suck it up and get that crap off your windows. IMO you're whining over nothing.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:41 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,069,075 times
You broke the law and now you're paying for it. I'm not sure what you're upset about. My car is tinted front to back and if I get a ticket I would have nothing to complain about because I knew this ahead of time. Enforcing a well known law and issuing a ticket for it is not the same as strutting your power.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:43 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
I live in Arizona and got my car windows tinted. I went to a reputable "tinter" and made sure that what I was getting was legal in AZ. I keep the receipt with my other car papers so I can prove it to a cop.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:46 AM

874 posts, read 2,874,390 times
I do not think any police officers would sign off on that at all. You have to remember that if they sign it they are swearing to the fact that you took the tint off. If they were to get caught doing that they would be in trouble for perjury and can actually face disciplinary action at the very least. I do not know exactly how it is in California but in many places cops can actually be terminated for doing something such as that.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:58 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,015,751 times
Many people that get ticketed just remove the tint, get ticket signed off & have new tint put on. If theres a will theres a way. Im not sure what im going to do yet. I have a few months to decide.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:58 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
Yep, I limo tinted all the windows in my car. If I get pulled and ticketed I will have to remove it. However, I will re tint it after they inspect it. California is really tough on window tint, but they will only make you remove the two front windows. Remove it, pay the $25 fine, and after it is inspected re tint it. It is not a big deal at all.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:33 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
The comments should have begun and ended with this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
If your tint is legal then appeal it. If not then fix it.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:35 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,167,740 times
ignorance of the law is not really an excuse. nor is the cop some power-hungry monster for giving you a ticket.

to paraphrase Cali law, you basically cannot have tint on the windshield, the driver's window, or the passenger window. actually, you can have tint on the windshield but it cannot go below a certain point on the window which is usually marked by tiny arrows etched into the glass. anything behind the driver can be painted black for all they care. many many people (myself included) risk the ticket and have the front windows tinted anyway, but it's still illegal.

the only exception (that i know of) is to have a doctor's prescription basically stating you can have your windows tinted for medical reasons.

i have been popped once for the front tint. it really is no big deal. pull the tint off the front yourself, pay the $25 fine, and have the ticket signed off. if you're so bold as to put tint back on the front afterwards (not that i did *wink*), have them put on a lighter shade relative to the rear windows.

now, if you really wanna go on a rant, try dealing with damn near every state having their own tint laws. it's friggin' ridiculous!

Mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive