Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 08:01 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times

Advertisements

Here are some cars that Im absolutely dumbfounded that people would actually fork over their hard-earned money to drive around. Are paper bags an option on any of these models? You know, paper bags for catching puke and/or covering up their faces while driving one of these hideous contraptions?

Nissan Juke
Scion Xb (2nd gen)
Honda Crosstour
Subaru Baja
Honda Insight
Mitsubishi Lancer (current design)
Nissan Cube
Mitsubishi Outlander
Toyota Prius
Toyota Yaris h/b
Scion Xa
Scion IQ
Acura TL (current design)
Honda Element
BMW X6
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 02:23 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,636,118 times
I hate anything that looks boxy, and I think anyone who would drive something like that has no dignity and no taste in cars. I can totally understand that different people have different vehicle needs, but there are some really nice looking SUVs! They don't have to look completely terrible. There are nice examples of every type of vehicle, and if you need a truck or SUV, that's what you need, but why get a really cruddy looking one? I don't get it. The Cube, the Scion, the Element, those are terrible, ugly cars.

I guess obviously some people just have no shame, I mean for me personally if I walked outside in my bathrobe down the street, I'd be pretty embarrassed and wouldn't like the looks I got. So I don't do that. I get dressed first into real clothes. If I was to drive out of my parking garage in an ugly box, I would feel similarly naked and inappropriate, only I'd rather be in the bathrobe to be frank. It's just absolutely embarrassing.

The thing I've had to realize is that most people -- clearly -- treat cars as an appliance. They believe their car is about like their washing machine, so as long as it gets them from A to B with a minimum of fuss, they don't care how ugly it is or how lame or slow it is. For me, I want to get there in style, that's what is important to me. I want to pull up and have people look at my car and be like, dang, nice car man! I want to know that when I put my foot to the gas, there are very few cars on the road that can beat me, and those cars are pretty rare and well known, like a Ferrari or a Lambo or a high-end Corvette. Heck I even want to upgrade my car further and supercharge the engine so only the best of the best (Z06, Enzo, things like that) can beat my car. I don't enjoy having cars pass me when I don't feel like being passed, or when I'm trying to speed up to an exit and another car can beat me there, it's frustrating and dangerous in L.A. traffic. I like to know when I gun it, you'll be eating my dust, haha. More than that, there is something absolutely great about driving around and having people check out your car. It instills confidence. It may just be a car, but when I get out of my car I have a smile on my face and feel great, and I just had a ton of fun driving it! When you get out of a Scion, you feel like a tool because it's a crappy car that looks like a donkey's butt. It's slow, it's boring, it says a lot about whoever drives it.

If you simply cannot afford a good car, that is totally understandable, and you can get something decent used that gets you around. But when you blow $30,000 on a new car that's extremely ugly and slow, I have to wonder. You should have an excuse for buying an ugly car, like your grandma sold it to you at a great deal, or you are really poor and it's all you can afford. That's cool, everyone understands that, we've all been in that situation where something is good enough for the time being. But when idiots spend good money on bad cars, that's when I wonder.

Old 11-01-2010, 02:28 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,122,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
When you get out of a Scion, you feel like a tool because it's a crappy car that looks like a donkey's butt. It's slow, it's boring, it says a lot about whoever drives it.
So I wonder what you think about my friend? She's a social worker, a great friend and has a dad for a mechanic that taught her the ins and outs of automobiles. With that said, she takes great care of her Scion. She paid $19k for it with no major repairs as of yet, just basic maintenance.
If you ever get a flat on the side of the road, will you let her help you if she pulls over in her Scion?

Old 11-01-2010, 02:46 PM

My opinion of the trashiest new car money can buy is a car that leaves you broke at the end of the month or wondering why I bought this car because the moment I drove it off the lot, it had mechanical problems. What someone may consider trashy, someone may think of as unique.

Old 11-01-2010, 02:53 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,292,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
I hate anything that looks boxy, and I think anyone who would drive something like that has no dignity and no taste in cars.
KNow what's funny? You can get away saying that becaus the real human beings you are talking abut are not redily identifiable as being on this board. Say the exact same thing to someone on this board and you woudl be given an infraction for being insulting and rude.

And you know what? You are being insulting and rude.

Quote:
But when idiots spend good money on bad cars, that's when I wonder.
I just got reprimanded for calling someone here an idiot. To me they are no more real than the person you are talking about. Funny how it works.

So you just called a real person an idiot because they like a different car than you do. Know what that makes you?

Old 11-01-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
KNow what's funny? You can get away saying that becaus the real human beings you are talking abut are not redily identifiable as being on this board.
I wonder if I have any dignity. I drive a Nissan Sentra and I've heard a time or two that its boxy. The madness, he he, lol.

Old 11-01-2010, 02:58 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,292,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
The hubby and I are pretty secure with ourselves. We become insulting when a large vehicle uses the vehicles size to intimidate other drivers (tailgating, weaving in and out of traffic). Sure, small cars do it too but its not as easily apparent. When its a larger vehicle, the size can do much more damage than a smaller car weight wise.
The problem comes in that instead of just saying "the guy weaving in and out and running up other people's rear bumpers in his big truck must be compensating for something" you end up saying "people who own big trucks/fast sports cars/etc are comensating for something. That's just wrong and it needs to stop. Some of us have those vehicles because we need them, and some have them simply because we like them. How hard is that to understand?

Quote:
Mine is the environmental qualm. If there is a purpose to having a large vehicle, then go for it. Of course its someone else money on what they'd like to purchase for a vehicle but I don't want to hear complaints about a tight budget when a less expensive vehicle could have easily met their needs and put less strain financially or how much gas their vehicle needs, tires are expensive, etc.
I agree. Don't buy an expensive to maintain vehicle and then complain about the budget. Hell, that goes for anything that costs a lot. But I sincerely doubt most of the owners of these vehicles you see on the roads roll down their windows and complain about that to you.

Old 11-01-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
The problem comes in that instead of just saying "the guy weaving in and out and running up other people's rear bumpers in his big truck must be compensating for something" you end up saying "people who own big trucks/fast sports cars/etc are comensating for something. That's just wrong and it needs to stop. Some of us have those vehicles because we need them, and some have them simply because we like them. How hard is that to understand?

But I sincerely doubt most of the owners of these vehicles you see on the roads roll down their windows and complain about that to you.
Maybe you misunderstood me. I don't mind if folks buy large vehicles for whatever reason even if they do complain budget wise. My issue is using the vehicles size to intimidate others for whatever reason that may be. Whether they are compensating for something, I'm not sure, it's hard to decipher that from a few second of being on the same road. It's just not cool to intimidate others whether its using a vehicle or other means. If someone is driving a large vehicle and is doing the right thing and being a good driver, all is good on my end.

My friends do all the time. I guess that's why I don't hang out with them anymore because they don't want to go (insert location here) because they waste gas or whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive