Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 01:47 PM

1,763 posts, read 7,334,746 times

Advertisements

So I just got back from a blast down to TX. I was minding the limits and enjoying the breeze from the air conditioner, set on 370 (three windows open, 70 mph). BTW, the used Ranger with 150K miles now has 152K and does quite well after getting some first class TLC.

Anyway, we counted distracted drivers for a while and gave up after about an hour.

It's epidemic. And the number of distractions seems to be growing with every new must-have gadget.

I began to think of ideas on how we can cut down on distracted driving. My theory was that laws don't work well. Like excessive speed, people seem to get into the OK for me but not for thee mindset. Sure they're on the books and enforced, but not a priority in most places.

My other idea is too Orewellian. GPS in phones and other devices (all will have them one day) shuts off phone, email, text, etc. at 20 MPH.

My other idea is too techno-utopian. Cars all have integrated navigation and steering systems for the freeway. No traffic jams. Perfect following intervals. Horror when the power goes out or the road ices over!

So I gave up thinking about it. As long as the culture treats driving and driving while 'distracted' as a right and not a responsibility to others to be safe, we're stuck with it.

Anyone have any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 04:39 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
How about "three strikes and you are out" for people causing a "major" wreck, however that should be defined?

What about a "real" driver training system like in Germany, where you essentially take a 2-year college course and actually learn to drive, else you dont' get a license?

Old 08-28-2009, 03:31 PM

91 posts, read 191,489 times
How about tougher penalties? That usually does the trick. In most other countries getting a license is a large ordeal and people don't mess around with distractions while driving.

Old 08-31-2009, 06:05 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,533,933 times
The only thing I believe we should do is enforce current "inattentive driving" laws. Some people do just fine with technology while driving; leave them alone. If a cop sees you weaving or moving slower than the flow of traffic for no good reason, that should be cause for a traffic stop. If a distraction is proven to have caused an accident, add that specification to the charges. Otherwise, the "guvermint" needs to stay out of our lives, thank you very much!

The problem I see is: "Where do you draw the line at prohibiting distractions? Why just ban cell phones and texting? SO many other things distract the driver. Why not ban eating in the car? How 'bout removing all of the seats besides the driver's? Passengers are a distraction, too... Oh! And no radio/cassette or CD player, either! IPODS? Leave 'em at home!!!

Old 08-31-2009, 09:12 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,751,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
The problem I see is: "Where do you draw the line at prohibiting distractions? Why just ban cell phones and texting? SO many other things distract the driver. Why not ban eating in the car? How 'bout removing all of the seats besides the driver's? Passengers are a distraction, too... Oh! And no radio/cassette or CD player, either! IPODS? Leave 'em at home!!!
You're just confusing the issue, to say there are several problems is no reason not to work on one. We can ban texting and cell phone use without worrying about those other things. And texting and dialing phone numbers obviously takes one's attention and eyes away from the road.

If the insurance companies refused to pay on claims for a person involved in an accident while using a phone it would probably do more to end the problem than anything the cops can do. Actually if an insurance company advertised they penalized such drivers it would probably be good for business.

Old 08-31-2009, 09:35 AM

4,792 posts, read 5,901,120 times
It's annoying, and I don't even drive a car. It even flips me out when a driver glances down when I am putting a cd into the player. Keep your beady eyes on the road ! I hate to have their cell phone ring, and they *** *** *** and put someone on hold while another mindless call comes in. (Talk about an over inflated sense of self importance !) Pull over to the side of the road, and talk. Blab blab. (One hand on the wheel, one on a cell phone in dangerous driving conditions.) Gossiping, killing time on mindless banter.

If they want to drive off a cliff, they can do so, but I am not going with them ! I think there should be a website devoted to photos of people on their car cell fones using them in a careless, and illegal manner. Shame ! and it really bugs me to see some nit wit texting, and glancing up, texting, looking up. Pull over, and do that ! Idiot ! Even the "hands free" phones can be a problem when people are having a major argument with someone on the phone.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:18 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,533,933 times
I'm sorry, but we need to stop expecting the dang "guvvermint" to fix our every piddly problem, folks. We already have adequate laws on the books to punish those who drive inattentively (for whatever reason...) IrishTom, I'm with ya, Bud. I'd like the same legal system the Germans employ; you can drive 200 mph on the Autobahn legally. If you crash your Porsche, your insurance will pay for property damage to other's property and "socialized medicine (GASP!) will take care of everyone's injuries. But you're on your own when it comes to fixing/replacing your car. But the lawyers would NEVER let that happen on this side of the pond...

What we REALLY need is personal responsibility not more friggin' laws. Ya can't fix "stupid"!

Old 09-03-2009, 04:36 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,139,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
You're just confusing the issue, to say there are several problems is no reason not to work on one. We can ban texting and cell phone use without worrying about those other things. And texting and dialing phone numbers obviously takes one's attention and eyes away from the road.

If the insurance companies refused to pay on claims for a person involved in an accident while using a phone it would probably do more to end the problem than anything the cops can do. Actually if an insurance company advertised they penalized such drivers it would probably be good for business.
Believe me the insurance companys look at every thing and everyone before paying a claim. If there is evidence that the person making A CLAIM WAS ON THE PHONE THEY WILL USE THIS to reduce the settlement.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:50 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times
I came up with an idea I hope never comes into reality. A special bluetooth steering wheel with half a keypad on each side to be easily reached by each hand's thumbs for easy text messaging. Combine that with a built in heads up display to see what you're typing and to read incoming text. Technology is there. I'm waiting until someone figures out a way to combine the two. I like heads up speed and warning light display. That's a good idea.

Old 09-03-2009, 11:15 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,703,450 times
Two car accidents typically happen when there are two inattentive drivers. You may not be able to control the other driver, but staying attentive and on topic while behind the wheel will allow you to avoid the dangerous situations those other drivers may put you in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive