Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 11:39 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,704,794 times

Advertisements

REPORT: Kansas enacts 'Right Lane Law,' officially lands on Autoblog's Christmas card list — Autoblog

Kansas passed its own right-lane rules for driving - good news for those stuck behind left lane hogs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 12:24 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,086,495 times
Amen!

Old 08-21-2009, 12:26 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,365,577 times
There are rules like this everywhere. They are just not enforced. Too bad. Those moving road blocks need to go!

Old 08-22-2009, 02:45 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,040,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
There are rules like this everywhere. They are just not enforced. Too bad. Those moving road blocks need to go!
Actually, the rules vary fairly widely from state to state.

leftlanedrivers.org used to have a link to the laws, but I have not been able to find it.

Old 08-22-2009, 06:39 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,535,238 times
Next step would be for all states to get rid of dangerous truck lane restriction laws (as well as ticketing slow-poke vehicles of ANY size for hogging the left lane) Split speed limits are thankfully on their way out; Ohio just eliminated theirs on Interstates and Illinois just did on highways outside of Chicagoland.

Old 08-22-2009, 06:50 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,423,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Next step would be for all states to get rid of dangerous truck lane restriction laws

I'm going to have to object to that. The parts of the highways where big rigs are prohibited from the left-hand lane are the best and least frustrating around here.

Old 08-22-2009, 09:48 PM

110 posts, read 124,107 times
the next step would be to raise speed limits cause no one does 65 except for the self-righteous do-gooders and the distracted drivers (usually more like 55 or 60), it just encourages people to drive slow because the lawmakers are so obsessed with speed they wanna do everything they can to slow traffic down... they think you're gonna crash and die if you go faster than 65 or maybe they just see all the $$$ signs that come from speeding tickets... either way it would be safer if everyone went 80 or 85 than if you have people doing 80 in one lane and 60 in another....

Old 08-22-2009, 11:38 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
I'm going to have to object to that. The parts of the highways where big rigs are prohibited from the left-hand lane are the best and least frustrating around here.
I always liked that law in Illinois as you didn't have trucks barreling up your ass in the left lane coming down a hill and then when you let them pass and climb back up another hill they slow to a crawl in the left lane. They need to keep over in their lane and do their thing.

Definitely on some of the six lane interstates like I-75 trucks should not be allowed in the left lane at all.

Old 08-23-2009, 09:50 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,535,238 times
Just like most situations, if you've never been there, you don't understand. I wish all of you that think truck lane restrictions are a good idea could ride with me around the I-465 loop in Indianapolis. Restricting us to the right two lanes sets up dangerous conditions BESIDES not leaving us a legal "out" in case of an emergency. If I'm in the right lane, I must move to the middle to make room for merging traffic. Then I must move back either for faster truck traffic behind me OR if I want to overtake a slower vehicle in front of me. Lane cahnges are dangerous due to blind spots, so why cause any more of them than you have to?

And don't give get me started about the I-285 loop around Atlanta... There are SO many dangerous lane restrictions on that loop that I spent so much time worrying that complying with the signs would make me not see a car driver sneaking up on my BLIND side instead of passing on the LEFT like you're supposed to do...

"Having a truck "barrel down a hill" on your tail is no different than a truck being in your way when you're in the passing lane. If you understand that a truck weighs considerably more than your car, you shouldn't be out in the left lane as the truck is coming down the hill...

There's a big hill as you cross into Northern KY from Cincinnati on I-71/75. Trucks are restricted to the right two lanes. Why should I (at 2 a.m.) have to be stuck behind heavier, slow-moving trucks if I'm loaded lightly enough to maintain the speed limit? If I'm out in the left lane impeding traffic, give me a ticket. I deserve it. But if I'm not impeding traffic, why penalize me just becuase I'm in a truck. Our problem is that we have lawmakers and others in government that do what they think is politically expedient versus what's going to enhance highway safety and allow ALL highway users the same rights.

Frankly, I just don't get the car drivers who believe that only THEY are allowed to use the left lane of a highway, since EVERY highway user pays taxes. (MORE for trucks). But then, for too many people, "it's all about ME"...

Old 08-23-2009, 10:02 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,423,702 times
I can see your point. Really, I can.

But everywhere here where trucks are restricted, traffic flows better, driving is much less irritating and stressful, and just all around easier and better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive