Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 02:11 PM

773 posts, read 2,630,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
The basic tenet is, if you can see your car in the mirrors, your mirrors aren't adjusted properly.
That is correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
I keep my mirrors adjusted so I can just see the sides of my truck.
That is incorrect.

Here are two links:
Car Talk | How to Avoid the Blind Spot (http://www.cartalk.com/content/features/mirrors/ - broken link)

How to Set Rearview Mirrors to Eliminate Blind Spots - wikiHow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 02:16 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,866,412 times
Used to use a Wink five panel mirror back in the oval track days. There were absolutely no blind spots with a five panel. It had a 180 degree field of vision so you could see everything from the front doors back.

Amazon.com: Wink 5 Panel Panoramic Mirror: Automotive

Old 08-21-2009, 02:21 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,866,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zea mays View Post

that is incorrect.
LOL It's all personal preference. I do it that way because it works for me.

Old 08-21-2009, 02:22 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,263,769 times
If you are only looking in your mirror before you change lanes you are not seeing the whole picture. The side blind spot isn't between the mirror and the car...it's on the outside of the mirror's view back. I've had cars get in just the right place next to me and I'd never know they were there unless I turned my head to the side and looked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
I am always amazed when I get in a demo and look at the sideview mirrors and see it 80% filled with the side of the car.

What are these people looking at? The paint job?
LOL...no kidding.

Old 08-21-2009, 03:15 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,038,544 times
Most people just do not know how to use their mirrors.

If you use them properly it does not matter if it is a convertible or a sedan delivery.

Old 08-21-2009, 03:20 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
I am always amazed when I get in a demo and look at the sideview mirrors and see it 80% filled with the side of the car.

What are these people looking at? The paint job?
I'm guessing you are about 6 foot tall, give or take. Pretend you're 5 foot or 5 foot 2....

Old 08-21-2009, 03:23 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
I added a round, convex mirror to the drivers side mirror. It rotates so the angle can be adjusted. I see everything that is to my left and behind me.

On some cars I have added one to the passenger side mirror. Depends on the amount of area I can see with the mirrors they give me.

Old 08-21-2009, 05:13 PM

29,438 posts, read 14,623,440 times
I'd say 80% of the drivers don't have their mirrors adjusted properly.

How to adjust your mirrors | The Web Page of Kristopher Linquist

Granted this will not eliminate all blind spots, but it does help. I worked for one of the major foreign OEM's here in the states as a design engineer on door mirrors. And even we were told not to adjust them in this manor since the majority of drivers aren't used to it. They also wanted the Blind spot detection system to be in the center nav. screen....nothing going to change lanes and having to look right at the center of your IP then back to the left at your mirror before changing lanes.

Now I also drive a 3/4 ton truck and tow a 26' enclosed trailer, and to keep an eye on the trailer you have to have the mirrors adjusted so you can see part of the truck, and also need them like that for backing the trailer up. In my car though, they are adjusted in the way the link say's.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:55 AM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,367,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post

The basic tenet is, if you can see your car in the mirrors, your mirrors aren't adjusted properly. I know many people that feel they need to see the side of their car in the mirrors, then complain that they can't see cars in their quarter views.
Yes, I pretty much agree, which is what I learned in AAA class. I just make them slightly overlap. However, there are always blind spots, so you have to be alert, especially with the small cars and motorcycles out there. I personally avoid add-on devices, because then I wouldn't be able to easily drive a rental car or other vehicles.

Old 08-22-2009, 09:33 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,416,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I'm guessing you are about 6 foot tall, give or take. Pretend you're 5 foot or 5 foot 2....

No, that I understand. But when it's the same view and I don't have to move the seat...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive