Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 04:17 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,016,490 times

Advertisements

Car guys never really grow up. They ( at times ) just learn to behave themselves better in public...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 05:46 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
So no one thinks I am an idiot, I will post a few videos of the 1989-1992 Ford Probe Turbo. They were detuned from the factory, because they were quite faster than the Mustang 5.0 of the time. Ford just could not have that...

YouTube - Ford Probe - Turbo Lover

YouTube - 1st Gen Probe Tribute
Makes me wonder what could have been had Ford continued with the turbo 4 SVO Mustang.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:45 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,416,797 times
I don't think anyone hates well-done and cared for cars, be they souped-up Mustangs or Civics or whatever the case may be.

I do think the 17-year-old d-bags who think 1,964 Japanese stickers, a $75 exhaust from Pep Boys, and a 3-foot tall spoiler add to the appeal of a car.

But an older RX-7 or Supra or Civic or 300Z or something that someone obviously put time and money and effort and heart into, those tend to be pretty nice.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:14 PM

3,046 posts, read 6,285,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Makes me wonder what could have been had Ford continued with the turbo 4 SVO Mustang.

The Probe was designed to be the replacement for the Mustang. It was going to be the new Mustang III. We built a NHRA Probe Pro Stocker with help from Ford and it was at first approved by NHRA as a Mustang. (templates were done and first labeled as the new Mustang), then the uproar from Mustang fans, so Ford wisely renamed the car to Probe and continued the fox body Mustang. This is why the fox body cars recieved almost no updates other than headlight/taillight treatment until the SN-95's came out. Basicly they had to start over for the new Mustang and at that point the sn's were the earliest they could do a new platform. The Turbo Probe was detuned as Ford was feeling alot of heat from Mustang fans. It would have been the new GT Mustang. This is also why more Probes were not built as Mustang fans wouldn't even look at them. Of course the entie deal hurt us money wise with the new Mustang/Probe and we were only able to make a few races with it. Had Ford continued with the help, and the probe had been the new Mustang, (as that is where the money was listed under for the sponsership) we would have been in alot better shape to race at least a full 2 seasons.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:17 PM

3,046 posts, read 6,285,627 times
[quote=ranger17;10771478]
Quote:
So no one thinks I am an idiot, I will post a few videos of the 1989-1992 Ford Probe Turbo. They were detuned from the factory, because they were quite faster than the Mustang 5.0 of the time. Ford just could not have that...

back in the day when I sold Mitsus and Mazdas at same dealership in WI ( early 90's ) one of my demos was an Eclipse GSX. I used to enjoy beating the local college kids in their stang GT's and 'birds. They were full of the "I gotta hot rod" attitude and zero actual knowledge of how to launch a car. Where as my 195hp and awd made it quite easy...... then we got in the first gen 3000 gt vr4, and we had to fight to get the test drives...
only thing though, driving a fast awd car ( i'm sure more so in the evos and subies now ) was a much different feeling then the hi output v8's I grew up with. No wheel spin, no carb lag, just mash the peddle and away you went. Almost took the fun out of it ( for those who consider kicking the arse end out in second gear "fun" !! )

I used to beat those things all the time in my 5.0 Mustang! You might have jumped me, but I'd pass you about 50ft the other side of the intersection!

Old 09-16-2009, 04:05 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,069,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post

I used to beat those things all the time in my 5.0 Mustang! You might have jumped me, but I'd pass you about 50ft the other side of the intersection!
Upping the boost on those cars is too easy. They can go from decent to butt rape in no time. I've seen an AWD Talon (same thing as the 3rd gen Eclipse GSX) destroy a blown Chevelle, an upgraded WRX STi, a 2005 Corvette and my poor 300ZX.

Old 09-16-2009, 05:44 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
[quote=12GO;10786223]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post

A heavily modified 5.0 Mustang, but not a stock one. I had a boost controller, and was running at least 100 horsepower over stock. I beat tons of 5.0 Mustangs. The only one I lost too, had put on an aftermarket supercharger.

Old 09-16-2009, 05:48 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
Upping the boost on those cars is too easy. They can go from decent to butt rape in no time. I've seen an AWD Talon (same thing as the 3rd gen Eclipse GSX) destroy a blown Chevelle, an upgraded WRX STi, a 2005 Corvette and my poor 300ZX.
Yep, it was not that hard to make those things extremely fast. I did get smoked by a 2nd Gen GSX Eclipse. They can easily be made into 10 second cars.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:12 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,135,150 times
Quote:
Yep, it was not that hard to make those things extremely fast. I did get smoked by a 2nd Gen GSX Eclipse. They can easily be made into 10 second cars.
To make any from the factory Eclipse a 10 second car will require modifications NOT LEGAL...Dont be street racin now kiddies or the cops will take your car faster than a seven second stang lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive