Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 12:35 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,578,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsniffer View Post
Diesels are much heavier than gassers. When you put a plow on a diesel, the nose of the truck becomes much heavier. In some cases, you could be going beyond the manufacturer's front GWR cutoff.
Really? why do manufactures offer snow plow prep for diesels? If your point was valid why don't the manufactures print the warning?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 03:03 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,946,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
A Diesel truck with achieve anywhere from 5-10 MPG better than a comparable gasonline powered truck. The absolute best diesel engine (Dodge Cummins) is paired with the absolute worst transmission! The absolute best transmission (Chevy Allison) is paired with the absolute worst engine (Duramax).
I assume you are talking about the auto transmission. The 5 and 6spds are bulletproof. My dad has a 2001 2500 Ram with a 5spd that was bought brand new at the end of '00. It now has 260k of hard driving(it never sees less than 5000lbs of hauling every day, 5 days week) and has yet to have a transmission issue. Heck, he's still on the stock clutch.

I'm not a truck guy, but if I was in the market for a truck, a Dodge with a manual would be exactly what I would look for.

Old 08-29-2009, 04:01 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,688,387 times
Quote:
I used to take my children on road trips during the summer time from they were toddlers to teens. Up, down, east, west. I've even used my Chevette for long/costal trips with two kids. I've never needed a 4-door pickup...just what in the world are you carrying?
Well lets see.......stroller......fold up play pen....diaper bag.....clothes bag.....most of this takes up the rear room of the vehicle.

Then my stuff which is just one big bug out bag.....then my wife's stuff which is usually a big bag plus tons of pillows, fan, snacks, etc.....all of this takes up half the rear seat, while my kid's car seat takes up the other side. And we're considering having another one.

At best the CRV is good for if you have 2 small kids and want to make a quick trip to the grocery store.

I guess I could always get me a '64 Impala. They have a TON of trunk space.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:39 PM

941 posts, read 3,893,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjl78 View Post
Really? why do manufactures offer snow plow prep for diesels? If your point was valid why don't the manufactures print the warning?
They do. It is outlined in my owner's manual of my 1997 Ford F350 pickup truck.

You know, that little book in your glove compartment?

Old 08-30-2009, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Well lets see.......stroller......fold up play pen....diaper bag.....clothes bag.....most of this takes up the rear room of the vehicle.

Then my stuff which is just one big bug out bag.....then my wife's stuff which is usually a big bag plus tons of pillows, fan, snacks, etc.....all of this takes up half the rear seat, while my kid's car seat takes up the other side. And we're considering having another one.

At best the CRV is good for if you have 2 small kids and want to make a quick trip to the grocery store.

I guess I could always get me a '64 Impala. They have a TON of trunk space.
Just as I suspected - more junk. Back then, kids weren't required to wear car seats so my kids were free to trample about in the backseat. They hated the strollers as soon as they start walking! We'd have a couple of suitcases and a cooler, that was about it.

A third? Now I'd reconsider!

If you want to really know, ask me how many bodies you can fit in the trunk of a '64 Impala.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:25 AM

Quote:
They do. It is outlined in my owner's manual of my 1997 Ford F350 pickup truck.

You know, that little book in your glove compartment?
Yes I am well aware of the little book in the glove compartment. Care to tell me what page this little warning is listed on?

Old 08-31-2009, 03:22 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,676,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu25rs View Post
I assume you are talking about the auto transmission. The 5 and 6spds are bulletproof. My dad has a 2001 2500 Ram with a 5spd that was bought brand new at the end of '00. It now has 260k of hard driving(it never sees less than 5000lbs of hauling every day, 5 days week) and has yet to have a transmission issue. Heck, he's still on the stock clutch.

I'm not a truck guy, but if I was in the market for a truck, a Dodge with a manual would be exactly what I would look for.

I agree... I held out for a long time to get one with a manual. The only issue with that transmission is the 5th gear nut... which is more inconvenient than it is harmful. I just threw a new mainshaft in my that is guaranteed against 5th nut failure for life... NV4500 is a beefy son of a gun inside... truly a heavy duty gear box. Maybe someday I will get an NV5600 which has the extra gear but is also hundreds of pounds heavier, but for now I am very satisfied with the 4500.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Yes I am well aware of the little book in the glove compartment. Care to tell me what page this little warning is listed on?
1997 F250HD / F350 / F-Superduty owner's manual: Page 215.

Want some salt with that crow?

Old 08-31-2009, 10:23 AM

Quote:
1997 F250HD / F350 / F-Superduty owner's manual: Page 215.

Want some salt with that crow?
Thats nice. No I will let you continue to be smug and arrogant.

On the current lineup Option 743... Snowplow prep.

On page 141 of the Superduty owners manual there is no caveat about diesels and snow plow.

Last edited by SD4020; 08-31-2009 at 10:41 AM.. Reason: additional information.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Thats nice. No I will let you continue to be smug and arrogant.

On the current lineup Option 743... Snowplow prep.

On page 141 of the Superduty owners manual there is no caveat about diesels and snow plow.
What you want, a rose with that? Change yer tone if you don't want a sour aftertaste.

What year?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive