Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 04:30 PM

71 posts, read 262,666 times

Advertisements

I can do it for $200 and about 2 hours!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 04:34 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,179,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty99 View Post
And what does "without taking it to the squealer" mean?
Old joke - it's the sound some people make when they go to the dealer.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:54 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,283,360 times
Find a custom/ restoration auto upholstery shop. I know there must be some in the Orlando area. The dealer will just want to replace. The restorer will likely know some tricks to save the old one, and you might be surprised at the results. At any rate, they should be cheaper than the dealer.

I assume, of course, that the warranty is up on this car.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,952 times
Default falling down headliner 2007 jetta

I own a 2007 jetta with a fakking down headliner like the rest of us i spent about a grand on an rxtended warranty and the will not cover the headliner i am lets say not to happy called vw direct got pretty much no where with them I read about a lot of people with the same problem this is called a defect I am going to try and start a class action suite hopefully we will all have new headliners soon please post and get others to post the more we get the better off we are

Old 10-03-2012, 05:44 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,227,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigheadss View Post
I own a 2007 jetta with a fakking down headliner like the rest of us i spent about a grand on an rxtended warranty and the will not cover the headliner i am lets say not to happy called vw direct got pretty much no where with them I read about a lot of people with the same problem this is called a defect I am going to try and start a class action suite hopefully we will all have new headliners soon please post and get others to post the more we get the better off we are
Be sure to get someone else to write the motion. Probably don't want to say a whole lot if anyone asks you questions either.

Last edited by vmaxnc; 10-03-2012 at 05:53 PM..

Old 10-05-2012, 01:53 AM

38 posts, read 191,173 times
With such a technical issue it is better to take a technical help so that you wont be taken for a spin for your money and will not loose any more time in pondering over the issue, and get it done without anymore hassles.

Old 10-05-2012, 04:28 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,240,412 times
I have seen this method work on older vehicles with headliner fabric separating from the headliner board.
There are plastic or metal trim strips (normally) on the driver and passenger sides of most every car.

Measure down from about 1/4 to 1/2 inch on the driver side, all the way across to the passenger side and down 1/4 to 1/2 inch on that side. Or, measure from the bottom of the headliner board from one side to the other, and add about 1 inch.

Go to Menard's, Lowes, Home Depot, etc., and purchase thin plexiglass, 1/8" or 3/16" thick a longer length of what you measured your headliner as being.

If your headliner was 56" with adding 1 inch making it 57 inches, you'll purchase a 60" piece, and it usually comes in 2 foot widths. or 2' X 5'. (24 inches X 60 inches)

With a tape measure and masking tape, measure and place masking tape on width piece approximately in 1 1/2 to 2 inch widths.
Do not cut all the pieces at one time, as some headliners taper in width from front to rear.
Take several mesurements from front to rear to be on the safe side.
Next, use a jigsaw with a very fine blade to cut the length, the masking tape application to the plexiglass will help prevent cracking and breakage. After cutting the plexiglass 1 1/2 to 2 inches wide, the total width, now is the time to cut it to the length you'll need using the measurements you've taken.

After you made your cuts, take the piece you've cut and place one end into either the right or left side of the plastic headliner trim, rotate the plexiglass to the other side of the car pressing the plexiglass up so there is a bow in it, and slide the plexi into the other side of the headliner plastic trim. note; the plexi piece has to go under the plastic headliner trim.

Use as many of the plexi pieces as necessary to hold the headliner up.
This might not work for your vehicle, but it may be worth a try.
You can cut plexiglass using a very sharp utility knife, but you will need to use a straightedge.
good luck.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:39 AM

2,982 posts, read 9,836,085 times
Cosmetic, paint and most car accessories are only warranteed for normally 3 years. Industry standards.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:41 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,017,258 times
Had a headliner issue in my 06 Jetta. I was at about 80,000 miles, and out of warranty at the time. The headliner wasn't "falling down" but it had shrunk and exposed the rear C-pillar next to the rear air bags, and separated around the sunglass holder in the front.

I contacted VWoA and agreed to take the car to the dealership for inspection. I also took a small "booklet" with me of photos I had gathered from VWvortex.com showing that this was not an isolated incident. The dealership inspected the car, and after deciding that the damage was not user inflicted, contacted the VWoA representative. VWoA agreed to pay for the replacement of the headliner at no charge.

According to the dealership, it's about 3 hours of labor, and ~$300 for a new headliner.

Removing the windshield is not necessasry, and if the shop you talked to wanted to remove the windshield to get the headliner out, I wouldn't allow them to be working on my Volkswagen...simple as that, take it to someone who knows what they're doing, or any other specialty German indy shop.

According to folks on the Vortex, some have had VW agree to pay for the entire replacement (like me) and other have had to a partial payment. I don't believe anyone was simply "sent away" but considering you've attempted the "fix it myself" approach, they may not be as apt to help you with it as they would have when you first noticed it was falling.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:09 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,705,526 times
This happened to our 1978 Caddy. We got a nice piece of stainless steel about 1 foot wide and bowed it up against the headliner door to door.

Worked like a charm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive