Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 06:35 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I'm not insulted. I'm only a high school graduate and it's been about 22 years since high school. I'm glad you only found those minor errors. However, I do expect better spelling and grammer skills from the graduates of Journalism school who work in newspapers, magazines, and other jobs in journalism. Someday they'll understand the difference between their and they're.
I'm also high school, with some college classes, notably composition. I do enjoy writing when I have the time.

Typing is my enemy. I am thankful for spell check.

Got a chuckle out of the comparison. I get lost with then and than for some reason. I have to remind myself one deals with time and the other doesn't.

Perhaps the letter will get past the secretary (excuse me, Administrative Assistant) sitting out front.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 06:36 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
The same thing could have been said for Cadillac and Lincoln in the past. Were they at the top because they made the best cars? No. They were at the top because they catered to the oldest population segment, whose members can barely see other cars on the road through their cataract eyes, let alone see or hear the faults in the vehicle that they own. If the average age of a Buick owner drops by 10 years and they're still on top, then it would be something worth mentioning.
You forgot the little hats poking up above the steering wheel. LMAO!!

Old 09-11-2009, 06:47 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
You forgot the little hats poking up above the steering wheel. LMAO!!
Hey now, my great aunt never wore a hat when she drove her Deville. Thankfully she doesn't drive it anymore she she's gone to the nursing home to thin out their male population. She's fiesty. When she arrived she actually told them to line up the men so she could choose the one she wanted.

Old 09-11-2009, 07:46 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,591,920 times
Quote:
I'm not insulted. I'm only a high school graduate and it's been about 22 years since high school. I'm glad you only found those minor errors. However, I do expect better spelling and grammer skills from the graduates of Journalism school who work in newspapers, magazines, and other jobs in journalism. Someday they'll understand the difference between their and they're.
What about "there?" You forgot to mention that one!

I also expect better from those who write for newspapers and magazines, but, alas, I am frequently disappointed. One of my pet peeves, that I see quite often, is when people write that they are going to "try and" do something. They should say "try to" rather than "try and," because "try and" indicates both that they will try, and that they will succeed.

Anyway, back to the topic...
I have a Chevy Colorado pickup, as I stated in an earlier post. It has almost 130,000 miles on it, and has only had a few very minor problems. The biggest of these only appeared recently, and is a leak in the exhaust system. I haven't yet taken it in for diagnosis, as I fear it may be the exhaust manifold (expensive). I have done a little online searching for similar problems and haven't come up with much, so it doesn't sound like a common issue.

My point is that this truck has been very reliable and has seen a lot of use over the last four years, including some mild off highway driving, and even a little bit of severe off highway driving. It has been driven all over the western U.S., and never have I given any serious thought about not taking it on the road for fear that it might break down. It's been driven on all types of roads, and in most types of weather (excluding hurricanes and tornadoes). I have had to do little more to it than replace tires when needed, changing oil when recommended, and some other routine maintenance. I wish every vehicle I've ever owned (or hope to own) was as reliable.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:04 PM

941 posts, read 3,911,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Ford has turned around in the last 5 years and their quality has skyrocketed. GM routinely has makes in the "most reliable cars category" (ie Buick). Make no mistake about it, American cars are roaring back to the top while the Japanese makes are struggling with quality issues, more and more recalls, and perhaps the ugliest cars on the road today while Americans are getting back down to business and kicking out some incredible designs and engines. Just like in the beginning, the Japanese will once again be behind and have to improve upon OUR technology (like they did in the first place).
You can say that again - I sat in a friend's 2006 Ford Fusion?. The interior was remarkable! I haven't seen quality of this degree in decades in American makers! Felt like I was buying an over-engineered stylish American car, like it was the '50s again.

I haven't owned or toyed with any GM products in a long time, besides my Chevette. I still have it. I think the Chrysler is the lowest of the big three.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:06 PM

941 posts, read 3,911,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Allow me to introduce you to my friend, the paragraph.

20yrsinBranson
Allow me to instill you a long-time Internet etiquette:

Don't sign your posts. It's not a letter.

Old 09-12-2009, 12:10 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsniffer View Post
Allow me to instill you a long-time Internet etiquette:

Don't sign your posts. It's not a letter.
It makes searching for your posts *much* easier and quicker. That's why I do it.

sincerely,

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-12-2009, 05:23 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,674,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
...And when will Toyota make something that has a pulse rate higher than a cadaver? Or something better looking than Michael Moore?

Who the hell cares what they look like? As long as they continue to build cars that go 200K+ with few or zero trips to the shop, my driveway will continue to be full of Toyotas and Hondas. All they are is transportation to me...

However, when I do feel the need to have my "pulse rate" quickened, I jump into my '67 Vette and whomp on that 427/435 tri-power motor!

Frankly, unless I start having trouble with Toyota/Honda, I will NEVER buy another domestic car...

Old 09-12-2009, 06:08 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Who the hell cares what they look like? As long as they continue to build cars that go 200K+ with few or zero trips to the shop, my driveway will continue to be full of Toyotas and Hondas. All they are is transportation to me...

However, when I do feel the need to have my "pulse rate" quickened, I jump into my '67 Vette and whomp on that 427/435 tri-power motor!

Frankly, unless I start having trouble with Toyota/Honda, I will NEVER buy another domestic car...
Toyota use to have such cars with the Celica and Supra. Closest you can get to a Celica is the Scion Tc with all the Toyota made aftermarket add ons bolted to the car. What's sad is today's Camry V-6 has the performance close to some previous model Supras, but none of the styling.

Old 09-12-2009, 06:27 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,861,134 times
Quote:
Toyota use to have such cars with the Celica and Supra. Closest you can get to a Celica is the Scion Tc with all the Toyota made aftermarket add ons bolted to the car. What's sad is today's Camry V-6 has the performance close to some previous model Supras, but none of the styling.
I heard a Toyota commercial in the car this morning that caused me to shoot my coffee out through my nose. They said in the ad: "The SPORTY 2010 Corolla."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive