Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 12:50 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,283,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
I would google "carfax not accurate" and be prepared for an eyeful.. one of the web sites it is only accurate 60 percent of the time..
So? Does 60% accuracy mean it's not a valuable tool while buying a car, given it's applied correctly?

It's been said before in this thread, CARFAX is not the almighty god of car history, it's not and never could be 100% accurate, that doesn't mean it can't be a useful tool, looking for a car, you just can't be a moron, look at a car with obvious problems online and blindly buy it because "The CARFAX didn't state any accidents".

You take the car on a drive, you check underneath, the oil, the cooling so on and so forth, and you check the CARFAX, in case it brings up nastyness you can't tell from a visual of mechanical inspection. Will it always be accurate? No, and sometimes you can do everything right, and still buy a lemon, that doesn't mean it can't be used the rest of the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 06:26 AM

1 posts, read 510 times
Carfax is pretty useless. I just got one to send to a potential buyer and all the info is wrong. It had said my vehicle is leased, which it is not, those conditions have been removed. It also said I am the original owner which I am not and that it has been in no accidents but I'm almost positive the previous owner has been in an accident as well. So basically don't trust what you see on one.

Old 02-05-2016, 07:32 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,717,808 times
In the beginning, we all thought CF was gospel and 100% accurate. Turns out it is not. Guy I work with just bought his Wife a Nissan and it had a clean CF. Then he noticed the drivers door doesn't fit exactly right, so he dug into the car's history. Turns out it had two major accidents in it's life, one being a $6000 repair.

Looks like a lot of cars fall through the cracks.

Don

Old 02-05-2016, 07:40 AM

1,991 posts, read 890,874 times
I wish my car was one of those that fell through the cracks. Had a minor fender bender accident. Police wrote up a accident report. Within a month it was on Carfax. Trade in value is now in the toilet because of that report.

Old 02-05-2016, 08:13 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,736,632 times
Mostly license and registration along with possible recalls, TSB's and repairs, meaning many shops will report minor repairs to Carfax.

Old 02-05-2016, 08:50 AM

13,639 posts, read 12,281,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
I wish my car was one of those that fell through the cracks. Had a minor fender bender accident. Police wrote up a accident report. Within a month it was on Carfax. Trade in value is now in the toilet because of that report.
It really isn't. It did go down, but to say the car has been branded with a scarlet letter, no. You likely lost $1-2K in trade value, tops.

We took cars in on trade and sold cars that had been in accidents reported to Carfax all the time, for close to what they sold for without an accident. (These were accidents, not salvage titles.)

Old 02-05-2016, 10:03 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,520,387 times
I had accident damage on my truck repaired at a body shop. I was paid by my insurance company to have it repaired. It never showed up on CarFAx.

Old 02-10-2016, 11:59 AM

902 posts, read 1,094,673 times
I just ran my CarFax

it had 33 records on file.... 3 pages

It showed every oil change and tire rotation... with the miles and dates

if I was a buyer I would love this....... proves maintenance was done on time

no accidents or floods, theft, repo, or auction or fleet use

worth every penny

Old 02-10-2016, 12:06 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,743,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Carfax is a helpful tool, nothing more. It's not perfect by any means, but I would insist on one for any used car I bought.

Why? Because information is power, and the more you have, the better off you are.
Precisely.

Some people insist on rejecting things because they don't cover every contingency. Well, almost nothing does that.

Get Carfax. Get an inspection. There will be some overlap in what each discovers. But either or both may well uncover something that the other didn't. As others have noted, when you're buying a car, $30 for a Carfax report is a drop in the bucket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive