Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 03:12 PM

183 posts, read 270,269 times

Advertisements

and you see everyone your age, and even younger, driving much newer and nicer cars, and even though I'm aware that most, if not all of them, are in debt, it is impossible not feel a little jealous. I can't help but feel a little embarrassed when driving my current vehicle. I guess over time you get used to it, but that feeling of envy and wanting something better never goes away.

I remember one time I was cleaning my car outside, and some young guy in a Mercedes passed by, and gave me a dirty look, almost like saying, why is this dumbass cleaning that piece of crap. I couldn't help but feel pissed, it really upset me, and I threw my towels in the car and went inside.

I have been driving a 2004 chevy cavalier for years. It works fine and it only has 70k miles. It has never given me any problems, but it looks terrible. It already came with bad quality from the factory, but now the paint clear coat is all faded, and the only way to fix that is to re-paint the car again, which will cost, at least, $1000. The car's value is probably $2000 max.

It has 14-inch black steel wheels. The interior was pathetic from the factory, but now is all faded, the dash is all cracked and broken. No power windows. No power doors. No power nothing. The base version. Manual everything except the transmission. I take care of it and make sure is clean, but there is so much you can do.

Unfortunately, I don't have the greatest credit (around 600), so I cannot even finance a newer car. I refuse to get raped with subprime loans. My credit has been improving, it used to be 450, but it is probably going to take at least 3 years to have good credit. I'm waiting for some baddies to fall off.

I also have $15,000 in savings. I could probably buy a car with cash right now, but I would left with no savings. I also want a decent car. My goal is to save around 30-40k and then finance a car around 15-20k, that way I keep my savings and have sufficient money to pay off the car whenever I want.

It will take around 3 more years to save all this money and improve my credit enough to qualify for a decent car.

Here is a video of my car, very similar, but mine looks ten times worse. The paint is all faded and interior super cracked.

Last edited by Dinero; 02-07-2016 at 03:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2016, 03:37 PM

21,867 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Well, they probably didn't make horrible decisions in their past as you did. I would also climb on down from your moral high horse, especially given your past, about people being in debt. Some may be but then not only were you in debt but you defaulted on it which most of them, even the ones that are irresponsible and up to their eyeballs, have not. Even they clearly have the moral high ground on you.

Congratulations for being responsible now though. I won't give you a cookie or anything but waiting is the smart thing to do.

Old 02-07-2016, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Well, they probably didn't make horrible decisions in their past as you did. I would also climb on down from your moral high horse, especially given your past, about people being in debt. Some may be but then not only were you in debt but you defaulted on it which most of them, even the ones that are irresponsible and up to their eyeballs, have not. Even they clearly have the moral high ground on you.

Congratulations for being responsible now though. I won't give you a cookie or anything but waiting is the smart thing to do.
lol I wasn't expecting anything from any of you. This is just a rant. I know have made bad decisions in the past, and I'm trying to correct them. I simply said that I know most of those kids are in debt to explain how despite knowing that fact, it is still very difficult not to feel a little envious and jealous.

Also, many of them are just kids, with very little experience in the world. The only reason they are driving those cars is because they got in debt and chose to live beyond their means, many of them have their parents as cosigners too. It doesn't mean they can actually afford those vehicles. I know this, and everyone who sees them, know it too.

Old 02-07-2016, 03:41 PM

7,188 posts, read 9,325,371 times
Why do you care what other people think?

The truth is nobody cares about what you drive except you.

If I were you, I'd keep driving the pos until it croaks and I'd save as much as possible.

Old 02-07-2016, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Why do you care what other people think?

The truth is nobody cares about what you drive except you.

If I were you, I'd keep driving the pos until it croaks and I'd save as much as possible.
Have you ever driven a car as ugly and beat as the one I have? Only the people who have these type of cars, with terrible interior quality and faded paint, can actually know the feeling. This car should be driven by a grandma. It is not like I want to drive a sports car or a head turner. I just want a reliable, newer, decent looking car.

I think 3 more years is more than enough. I refuse to drive that car 10 more years, and it is very unlikely that it will last that long anyway. It is already 12 years old. The car was already outdated from the factory to begin with and it came with inferior quality when compared to its competitors back in 2004. The only reason I bought it was because I got a good deal on it. I didn't do much research and I needed a car for work.

I will never buy an American car again.

Old 02-07-2016, 03:57 PM

45,411 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Part of the problem with that car is that (I'm assuming you bought it used) the previous owner didn't take care of things like waxing the exterior and treating the interior plastic parts like the dash with a protectant like Armor All.

I have two 95 Taurus' (as well as an 02 Taurus and an 03 F150) on which the exteriors and interiors (except for seat wear) look nearly new.

Actually, Cavaliers aren't that bad of a car. I've had two of them (one an 84) and both of them were pretty much bulletproof. I'd still have the 02 except it got totaled in a rollover accident.

Old 02-07-2016, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Part of the problem with that car is that (I'm assuming you bought it used) the previous owner didn't take care of things like waxing the exterior and treating the interior plastic parts like the dash with a protectant like Armor All.

I have two 95 Taurus' (as well as an 02 Taurus and an 03 F150) on which the exteriors and interiors (except for seat wear) look nearly new.

Actually, Cavaliers aren't that bad of a car. I've had two of them (one an 84) and both of them were pretty much bulletproof. I'd still have the 02 except it got totaled in a rollover accident.
The car's paint was already delaminated when I bought it, and it has gotten worse over the years. I always wash the car once a week, and the condition continues to worsen no matter what I do. The interior wasn't as preserved as the one in the video. It already had cracks on the dash and scratches on the side doors.

Once the damage has been done, there is very little to nothing you can do to reverse it. Yes, the car is solid. It has never given me any mechanical problems, except for the usual maintenance. I'm not complaining about the reliability of the vehicle. I dislike the looks and quality, especially the faded paint and cracked interior.

Old 02-07-2016, 04:04 PM

45,411 posts, read 60,608,674 times
You've been told this, don't give a **** what others think.

Old 02-07-2016, 04:17 PM

2,405 posts, read 1,446,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinero View Post
Have you ever driven a car as ugly and beat as the one I have? Only the people who have these type of cars, with terrible interior quality and faded paint, can actually know the feeling. This car should be driven by a grandma. It is not like I want to drive a sports car or a head turner. I just want a reliable, newer, decent looking car.

I think 3 more years is more than enough. I refuse to drive that car 10 more years, and it is very unlikely that it will last that long anyway. It is already 12 years old. The car was already outdated from the factory to begin with and it came with inferior quality when compared to its competitors back in 2004. The only reason I bought it was because I got a good deal on it. I didn't do much research and I needed a car for work.

I will never buy an American car again.
I have you beat...I drive a '97 Cavalier with rust and a big dent on the passenger side.

I don't care what anyone thinks.

I paid $1200 cash for it and fix it when stuff breaks.

Old 02-07-2016, 04:33 PM

81 posts, read 106,476 times
I drive a 1991 Honda Civic. I live in one of , if not, the most expensive counties in the country. I understand what your talking about. I paid $900 for the car 4 years ago and maybe $600 in repairs and maintenance since I've had it. It has 90k miles on it. I have enough cash to buy a $20k car and still keep an emergency fund. My credit is above 750. I could get a new, nice car. However, I am saving for a downpayment on a house. So instead of buying an expensive car that immediately loses value, I save that money. I spend $25 a month on gas and $40 on insurance. Another benefit is the yearly inspection is only $10 dollars due to the age of the vehicle. I would rather have the $300-$400 a month for savings then a new car to impress people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive