Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 09:42 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,093,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caution View Post
I'll say it if no one else will. I'm not buying the ring time on teh Cobalt SS.

I know. I know. I've seen all the write ups. But that time was just hella fast. Maybe it's some grand conspiracy?
The 'ring is a fast track, most of that track is right in the SS's powerband (2nd through 4th gear) when the boost is a'blowin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 09:49 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,687,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
well, like i said, i drove the very first production year. the venue was an autocross-like setup in a parking lot. lots of low RPM 2nd gear corners where i just could NOT even think about getting on the throttle without spinning the inside wheel and plowing for the outside of the corner.

on a larger course like the 'Ring with faster corners, it may be an entirely different beast.

Mike
And like I said, they have made substantial improvements to the handling as of the 08 model year. It's not exactly fair to make judgments about a current car based on your experience with an 5-model-year-old example. That's a lot of time to make improvements.

Last edited by Drover; 09-15-2009 at 09:58 PM..

Old 09-15-2009, 09:56 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,687,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
The Astra posted .84 g's on the skidpad, a whopping .1 g's over thee, uh, super sporty Suzuki SX4 Sport (one of the comparo cars). And thats WITH the "super handling" package on the Astra. It can have decently quick steering responses, but if it dont stick? Useless.

I guess Id have to drive one sometime, but the numbers I see are not impressive. Heck, Ive seen Accord sedans pull off those numbers.
Perhaps you missed the OP's criteria, which is a combination of handling and ride compliance, not "high lateral g-load but rides like a chuck wagon." The Astra fits the bill quite nicely. It's a wheezer and I'd personally never own one with its current powerplant, but it fits what the OP is looking for.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:58 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,349,894 times
Still going on this?

Why?

MINI.

Cooper.

S.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:10 PM

4 posts, read 10,260 times
Solely based on handling, and excluding petty arguments of Domestic vs. Imports and reliability, price, fuel efficiency, blah blah blah...

The Acura TL S-type was noted by I think Motor Trend (could have been Car&Driver or Automobile; I subscribe to all 3) as handling like an AWD vehicle. This of course doesn't include the newer generation which has SH-AWD (The SH means "Super-Handling"), and I cannot speak for the older TL's which were produced until i think 2002 or possibly '03. The CL, which is a luxury coupe based on the Accord coupe, has essentially the same drivetrain and handling set-up as the older TL's (again, up until 2003), with the advantage of being lighter. There's also the RSX and the TSX.
All the S-Type's have the same 3.2 liter V6 putting out 276 HP; it's not a screamer, but consider that this engine is the same one used in the NSX supercar. The '04+ TL, if you manage to get one with the 6-speed, has the same transmission as the Honda S2000.

Overall, Acuras from within the last 5 or 10 years, excluding the Integra which handles differently than the others (and in my opinion not as well), have very solid handling and offer Honda reliability with generally more luxurious appointments inside and better styling outside.
The ideal TL I speak of, preferrably an '05 S-type, has the S package which means larger double five-spoke alloys in a sexy carbon/charcoal/shadow/grey color and quad exhaust tips (a pair of round tips on either side) with a respectable exhaust note.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:12 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,977,622 times
Default fooled by numbers

No way is the Astra close to a lowly Suzuki in handling. I have driven a Suzuki and have even been in a life or death (Don't ask) chase in a Suzuki(87' Chevy Sprint) and the Astra trumps the Suzuki with ease. I have certainly driven more cars and a greater variety of high end vehicles than all of you combined and the Astra is right at the top for handling when considering front wheel drive cars. The only thing that compares is a Mini or GTI when considering FWD vehicles.

Those tests that are being alluded to are either bogus or a invalid way to measure handling. I have dusted German sports sedans such as the BMW 328 in the Saturn Astra, my strategy is stalk the pace(not much power) and to look for a really tight turn and then put distance on the out-handled competition, nothing can stay with the Astra in the turn. The Astra is a German sports car in a hatch body.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
The Astra posted .84 g's on the skidpad, a whopping .1 g's over thee, uh, super sporty Suzuki SX4 Sport (one of the comparo cars). And thats WITH the "super handling" package on the Astra. It can have decently quick steering responses, but if it dont stick? Useless.

I guess Id have to drive one sometime, but the numbers I see are not impressive. Heck, Ive seen Accord sedans pull off those numbers.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:45 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,130,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
... I have driven a Suzuki and have even been in a life or death (Don't ask) chase in a Suzuki(87' Chevy Sprint) ....
Was it the Turbo Sprint?

I gave my son an '88 turbo version for his high school graduation. A few months later he was riding shotgun as his friend was driving it (to our) home from college for the weekend. Highway Patrol clocked him at 120 or 130 mph. Said friend spent the night in jail. That was one quick little car! Handling sucked.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:54 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,977,622 times
Default 87 Chevy Sprint

No it was a 1.0L 3 cylinder base model. The engine blew a piston ring at 70K miles. It was not quick, nor did it handle very well but it was sorta notable for how slow it was and how rare too. I haven't seen one in years. I guess this car became the Geo Metro in the next generation. I am surprised the turbo model went that fast, it must have been a real death trap as I was able to pick the car up with one hand. It was really light.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Was it the Turbo Sprint?

I gave my son an '88 turbo version for his high school graduation. A few months later he was riding shotgun as his friend was driving it (to our) home from college for the weekend. Highway Patrol clocked him at 120 or 130 mph. Said friend spent the night in jail. That was one quick little car! Handling sucked.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:53 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,219,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Still going on this?

Why?

MINI.

Cooper.

S.
I think I'd have to agree with that.

My Mazda3 hatch can outdo one, but only after adding Racing Beat springs & endlinks, Koni Sport dampers, a Progress rear sway bar, and a GT-spec 4-point brace. lol

Old 09-16-2009, 06:05 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,113,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Was it the Turbo Sprint?

70 horsepower is fast? Also, there was no way that story could have happened since the top speed of those things were only 104 mph.

VWvortex Forums: The Archive: 1987 Chevy Sprint Turbo--C/D Apr 87
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive