Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 02:15 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,069,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
i wouldn't really call it 'evidence' since it's all just opinion anyway, but you're right that i have no direct 'behind-the-wheel' experience with the car. i will give it this, though: it's a SHARP-looking hatch!

i have had experience driving the Cobalt SS and the Saturn Ion Redline, though. unless they have made some significant improvements since the very first year or so, i'd have to disagree with the idea that they handle particularly well. they're quick, but the torquesteer and lack of LSD on a car with that much power to the front wheels made every corner on the track a wheelspin nightmare.

Mike
Considering that the Cobalt SS has one of the top records for FWD vehicles on Germany's Nurburgring it's hard to argue against its handling prowess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 02:20 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,167,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
Considering that the Cobalt SS has one of the top records for FWD vehicles on Germany's Nurburgring it's hard to argue against its handling prowess.
well, like i said, i drove the very first production year. the venue was an autocross-like setup in a parking lot. lots of low RPM 2nd gear corners where i just could NOT even think about getting on the throttle without spinning the inside wheel and plowing for the outside of the corner.

on a larger course like the 'Ring with faster corners, it may be an entirely different beast.

Mike

Old 09-15-2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:
well, like i said, i drove the very first production year. the venue was an autocross-like setup in a parking lot. lots of low RPM 2nd gear corners where i just could NOT even think about getting on the throttle without spinning the inside wheel and plowing for the outside of the corner.

on a larger course like the 'Ring with faster corners, it may be an entirely different beast.

Mike
The record setting SS was the 2008 model year which is not the same as the 2005-2007 which was supercharged versus the current turbocharged model. I'm not sure if there were any major suspension changes but the ring is not an easy course.

Old 09-15-2009, 03:03 PM

1,763 posts, read 7,332,123 times
I'll say it if no one else will. I'm not buying the ring time on teh Cobalt SS.

I know. I know. I've seen all the write ups. But that time was just hella fast. Maybe it's some grand conspiracy?

Old 09-15-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caution View Post
I'll say it if no one else will. I'm not buying the ring time on teh Cobalt SS.

I know. I know. I've seen all the write ups. But that time was just hella fast. Maybe it's some grand conspiracy?
lol, anyone who's read my posts here knows that I'm not the type to preach about an American car but the Cobalt SS is a sweet track car if you can ignore the Yugo interior.

Old 09-15-2009, 06:43 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
i have had experience driving the Cobalt SS and the Saturn Ion Redline, though. unless they have made some significant improvements since the very first year or so, i'd have to disagree with the idea that they handle particularly well.
They have.

Quote:
they're quick, but the torquesteer and lack of LSD on a car with that much power to the front wheels made every corner on the track a wheelspin nightmare.
Most of the understeer has been dialed out as of the 2008 model year, and LSD is a $500 option. Oh, and for good measure it has 55 more horsepower than the first Cobalt SS. Needless to say, with the horsepower upgrade they had to get more serious about putting the power to the ground.

Old 09-15-2009, 06:58 PM

1,763 posts, read 7,332,123 times
Yup! Fast little car with a damn good driver smoked some serious rides on the ring. What ya gonna do?

Old 09-15-2009, 07:31 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
It begs the question what you really mean by "handle" - do you mean how many g's it can pull on a skid pad, which is objective, or if the car goes where you want it to go, which is subjective, and varies with the skill and particularly the style of the driver.

Or, of course, you can look at lap times for a given track, although this gives some credit to engine power and brake system capability (are brakes part of the "handling" equation?)

"Good handling" is something we all think we know when we experience it, but it's hard to define.

Just for handling outright, offhand I would think the Mini Cooper is hard to beat, in it's ability to go where you want it to go, for a wide range of drivers.

Slightly off-topic comment, but the one thing I don't like about Honda cars in general is they tend to have almost no tactile feedback in the steering wheel. Not at all like the old Scirocco, where I can feel a lot through the steering wheel.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:39 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,167,740 times
Mitch kinda made the point i was going to make. the Cobalt may be the fastest around a track, but the original question was 'what handles best?'. if the Cobalt is blazing fast in a straight line and just kinda does OK on the corners, then setting a record isn't unheard of. it still doesn't mean it handles, the 'best' though. although, as has already been stated, that's more of a 'how you frame the question' thing.

Mike

Old 09-15-2009, 08:39 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Yes, the Astra.
The Astra posted .84 g's on the skidpad, a whopping .1 g's over thee, uh, super sporty Suzuki SX4 Sport (one of the comparo cars). And thats WITH the "super handling" package on the Astra. It can have decently quick steering responses, but if it dont stick? Useless.

I guess Id have to drive one sometime, but the numbers I see are not impressive. Heck, Ive seen Accord sedans pull off those numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive