Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 11:02 AM

11,153 posts, read 29,139,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Specifically because the basic premise of your post ("adding more power to it increases the amount of understeer to the car") is flawed. Well no, it only does that once you reach the limits of tire adhesion. And until that happens, more power is just plain going to make the car go faster.

Hell, two of the examples you cited (Civic Si, Cobalt SS) will out-handle just about anything on the market right now save dedicated sports cars. They out-slalom the BMW 335i, the Audi S4, the Ford Mustang Shelby GT500, the Camaro SS, the Lexus IS350, Acura TL, Hyundai Genesis V6 Coupe, etc. Whatever you drove in your little tale above, chances are pretty darn good that both these cars would have eaten you for lunch in the hands of a semi-competent driver.
really the cobalt SS is that good
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 11:04 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,687,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
really the cobalt SS is that good
The 2008+ model is, yeah. The 2007 and earlier was an understeering mess.

Car mag editors could hardly believe it when they drove it. They still think it's too ugly though.

ETA: here's a few review vids:

YouTube - 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Coupe by Inside Line

YouTube - 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt SS - Car and Driver

YouTube - Chevy Cobalt SS vs. 09 WRX, Mazdaspeed 3, and Four Other Sport Compacts - Car and Driver

Old 10-29-2009, 02:53 PM

16 posts, read 53,894 times
Quote:
Uh-huh. And you supposedly beat a professional driver in a Civic Si driving what, if I may ask? Your imagination?
If you do not believe me, I recommend you attempt it yourself. If you cannot do it, you simply do not have good driving skills, period.

A few years after I quit doing this, I saw some videos of battles on the mountains. I would say that they are excellent representations of the duels I had (only the cars here are heavily modified). Here is one example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4q0f7sslXE

Old 10-29-2009, 03:08 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,223,598 times
Is anybody else taken aback by the fact that an entry level Chevy is getting good reviews at something? Usually this is the type of car people love to bash. "Har Har look at that little POS domestic. Har Har!"

Old 10-29-2009, 03:13 PM

5,994 posts, read 19,878,204 times
It's a great handling car with decent power. It still looks awful and has an interior I'd be ashamed to sit in. The Cobalt SS wouldn't be the car for me but it certainly drives well.

Old 10-29-2009, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusj245 View Post
If you do not believe me, I recommend you attempt it yourself. If you cannot do it, you simply do not have good driving skills, period.

A few years after I quit doing this, I saw some videos of battles on the mountains. I would say that they are excellent representations of the duels I had (only the cars here are heavily modified).
I have attempted it myself, on numerous surface types from tarmac to gravel to dirt to snow to sheer ice. I've been around enough competitive driving to know that your "more power means more understeer" theory is a ten-foot-high pile of nonsense.

And you're still evading my question.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:47 PM

16 posts, read 53,894 times
Quote:
And you're still evading my question.
Naa, just not interested in wasting my time talking to someone without actual experience. I have seen your posts and it is clear enough evidence to just stay away from someone like yourself.

Old 10-30-2009, 12:28 AM

15 posts, read 41,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teach1234 View Post
I have resisted the temptation to post on this thread since its inception, but have finally broke down. Since the poster did not specify, I know of no better car in the snow on the highway than a front wheel drive cadillac--V8, lots of weight over the front tires--I have passed many cars in the ditch (although I did that too with my 74 LTD-- you just go faster in a caddy).
Please for the love of god....no more posts that GM makes a good anything.......
its all junk....made from junk...for ..hell i dont know..maybe card carring union tools....
Buy a front drive car from germany or a Nice honda....forget the rest....THE END

Old 10-30-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusj245 View Post
Naa, just not interested in wasting my time talking to someone without actual experience. I have seen your posts and it is clear enough evidence to just stay away from someone like yourself.
I'll take that to mean "I was making crap up and talking out of my ass." Pretty much as I suspected.

Old 10-30-2009, 11:51 AM

11,153 posts, read 29,139,769 times
Quote:
I'll take that to mean "I was making crap up and talking out of my ass." Pretty much as I suspected.
agreed the car with the more power will pull faster and harder out of the coeners and will beat the lesser powered car on the straight aways so marcusj245 comments make no sense if the slower less powerful car was faster to race they would not make high powed sports cars then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive