Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 02:08 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,300,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
Second dumbest thing? The trend to smaller chromeless egg shapes.
That is #1 in my worst car trends list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
Getting rid of real rear windows that went down
wing windows and having 'Opra' windows

Non-Chrome bumpers

Replacing the High Beam indacator with blue and moving the switch
to the turn signal stalk along with the wipers
And non-chrome bumpers is probably #2 on my list.

The other two are good choices, too, though.

Here is another one: For most cars, not having a choice ordering bench or bucket seats. It seems that 95% of new cars come with buckets and a console as mandatory equipment. Two I can think of that don't are the Cadillac DTS (bench seats are available as an option) and the Lincoln Town Car. Oh, one more... Mercury Grand Marquis.

Old 09-14-2009, 02:35 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,868,677 times
Quote:
to the turn signal stalk along with the wipers
I gotta disagree with you about the dimmer switch. I think that was a good move as far as convenience and reliability. Blue or green, the color doesn't matter to me either way.

Old 09-14-2009, 02:50 PM

I thought of a few more... car trends in which things faded away instead of something being added...

Whitewall tires. They always look much better to me than plain blackwall tires.

Vinyl roof. Mainly for luxury cars. Adds a touch of class, espeically when just treated with a preservative. Very shiny looking.

Chrome on the inside, especially on the dash. Looks so much better than cheap plastic. And chrome power window buttons look a lot better than plastic buttons.

Plastic in the interior in general. It is WAY overdone (because it saves money, of course). The '66 Dodge Dart GT I once owned actually had real metal air conditioning outlets (vents). That car, along with my '66 Plymouth, has metal in the front end... the area behind the grille, in front of the grille, the grille itself, also the cowl area... no plastic!

Old 09-14-2009, 03:40 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,075,440 times
I'm not a big fan of chrome in general because it makes everything look cheap and tacky. There are very few instances where it works so I'd rather have a vehicles body painted with a matching color all around. I'm actually looking to remove the chrome from my cars door handles and window lining because it would look so much better body color. Very little (if any) chrome should be found in the interior of a vehicle. Give me a quality plastic and polished metal combination and I'll be satisfied. If you look at the interiors of any modern high end vehicle (Maybach, Aston Martin, Bugatti, Rolls Royce..) you will find very little chrome

Old 09-14-2009, 03:52 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,988,367 times
Quote:
This was done ages ago, my 72 Gran Torino had a blue high beam indicator, switch was still on the floor though

Old 09-14-2009, 04:19 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,519,931 times
I was glad they moved the high beam switch to the stalk. Much easier than trying to find the thing on the floor with your foot.
I love hood scoops if they serve a viable mechanical purpose.
Do factory installed wings/spoilers on compact or midsize sedans actually serve a mechanical purpose other than trying to look cool?

Old 09-14-2009, 04:27 PM

3,046 posts, read 6,286,531 times
Personally, I wish the headlight switch was back on the floor!!! People don't use their hands to ever dim the things because one hand is holding a cell phone, drink and the other is barely even touching the wheel while holding their fast food mess! They simply are a limb short, so maybe if the switch was back on the floor, that would be used more often when meeting those idiots?

Old 09-14-2009, 04:35 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,988,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
Personally, I wish the headlight switch was back on the floor!!! People don't use their hands to ever dim the things because one hand is holding a cell phone, drink and the other is barely even touching the wheel while holding their fast food mess! They simply are a limb short, so maybe if the switch was back on the floor, that would be used more often when meeting those idiots?
Maybe they could figure out how to put the turn signals down there as well, no one uses those either. At least if they don't dim their high beams you can return the favor.

Old 09-14-2009, 04:38 PM

3,046 posts, read 6,286,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Maybe they could figure out how to put the turn signals down there as well, no one uses those either. At least if they don't dim their high beams you can return the favor.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive